General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New help with Tri-bike purchase ASAP!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-18 10:31 AM

Subject: New help with Tri-bike purchase ASAP!!!!!
Hello All,

I did an Ironman 70.3 a few years ago on a rented bike. I am now doing my first Ironman 140.6 and need to purchase a tri-bike. I have been to a reputable bike shop with a well skilled bike fitter. We have narrowed down my options to the "2011 Trek Speed Concept 2.5 Triathlon Bike" ($1,499) or the "2018 Trek Speed Concept Triathlon Bike" ($3,999). My initial goal was to keep the cost as low as possible, but after research and speaking with the bike dealer I now I am very indecisive. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do or what you would do?

I am not sure what my plans are after this first Ironman. I may do another right after or I may do another one many years later. Not sure!

HELP?????

2018-06-18 11:02 AM
in reply to: lisa34

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: New help with Tri-bike purchase ASAP!!!!!

Top considerations for any tri bike:

Fit
Fit
Fit

You'll be on it for 6-7 hours or more during the race, and close to 200 hours leading up to the race.  

How much are you already riding?
At what pace?

What are your race goals?  
What is the IM course like?  

Increasing your bike pace from 17 mph to 18 mph (realistic with solid training) would shave 21 minutes off your IM bike split.  
Increasing your bike pace from 17 mph to 17.2 mph (about what you might expect with a lighter frame and better components) knocks <5 minutes.  

If the $4K bike fits and makes you want to train more than the $1500 bike, you might see the above gains.  Otherwise, is it worth $2500 to potentially shave 5 minutes from your bike split?  (You could buy some of the time back with a rear wheel cover and aero helmet for <$300.)  

2018-06-18 11:20 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Why do you need to own the bike for the 140.6, but could rent for the 70.3? You may be better off renting again, particularly if you have no long range plans.

Did your bike fit spit out coordinates and provide a list of bikes that meet those coordinates? Or did your fitter put you on some bikes and tinker around? 

2018-06-20 2:58 PM
in reply to: #5244786

Hi! Thank you so much for your replies.

I rented a bike for my 70.3 for about $800 for a few days leading up to the race/for the race, but trained on a $150 Walmart bike (I know...I know...that’s all I had access to at that moment in my life). Amazingly it worked out just fine for me. However, for the 140.6 I want to do it right this time and buy one especially because this distance is so much longer.

My goal for my first Ironman is just to finish. I do not care so much about shaving off five minutes. However, I’d like to do it in an average amount of time. I did my 70.3 in 5 hours so I’d like to do the 140.6 in about 10-12 hours.

No, he only put me on the bike and did all these measurements with different tools. It took about and hour. I thought that was enough, but I guess not? What should a make sure is done by the fitter before purchasing the bike?

So I’m thinking I should just buy the cheaper Trek Speed 2.5 bike since this will be my first 140.6 (I’m a novice) then maybe invest in a more expensive bike if I want to do more 140.6 or 70.3’s down the road?

Any thoughts?
2018-06-20 2:59 PM
in reply to: #5244888

The course is completely flat, but I do want a bike that is good for hills as well in case I get the “bug” and want to do more races later.
2018-06-20 4:55 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

A 5-hour HIM puts you "above average" and probably a 2:45(ish) bike split or 20 mph, not 17-18.  

Increasing from 20 to 20.2 shaves 3.5 minutes, and increasing from 20 to 21 shaves 16 minutes, putting you solidly into a 5:30 bike split.  

Based on the fit you had done, you should have gotten a report with recommended dimensions that you can use to check both bikes (or anything else you look at).  

Is it worth an additional $2500 for the new bike?  That's a question only you can answer, but I suspect if you're coming out of a "I can only afford the Walmart bike" you're leaning towards "no."  (I bought my tri-bike used for $500 and haven't been compelled to buy anything "better.")  

Alternatively, you could spend the additional $2500 for $200/month coaching (if you aren't already) and likely be quite competitive (which is a far cry from "I just want to finish...")  

2018-06-20 11:16 PM
in reply to: #5244889

I can tell you from experience not to overbuy until you know what you want.

I wasn't sure how much tri-ing I would do. So I spent more on my first road bike than I needed. Consequently, when I wanted to upgrade to a tri bike...I had to wait a bit longer to justify spending the bread.

Ftr....I nearly wound up with a speed concept of the same vintage you were looking at. Found a much newer QR Kilo on Craigslist than the Trek for less $$.

I know that's not exactly your situation as you're looking at two tri bikes. But, the idea of knowing what you want out of your bike will help you pull the trigger...on either.
2018-06-21 5:33 AM
in reply to: #5244900

Check out the Kestrel Talon excellent hybrid bike triathlon speeds and great price.
2018-06-21 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If both bikes are comfortable and fit and you're uncertain about your long-range commitment to the sport, then I would get the cheaper bike. You can always upgrade later. For HIM and IM, the key is really that you're comfortable riding on the bike for long periods of time, and have an efficient position. As others have said, a newer, more expensive bike is probably not worth the few minutes it might gain for you. Probably most of those could be made up with an aero helmet, anyway, which is much cheaper.

That being said, if you are female and did your first HIM in "five hours", even if five hours and some change, it sounds like you may have the potential to be pretty competitive in your age group. In that case, if you have the resources to cover the more expensive bike, I would get the cheaper one and spend them on some quality coaching instead. The price differential should be enough to pay for coaching to better prepare you for your IM.
2018-06-21 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Keep in mind a 7 year old bike may be out of date. 11 or 10 speed? The world is now 11 speed, so if it's 10, less up-gradable.

Keep in mind tri bikes lose value faster than a car after you buy it and take it home. That being said, as long as you keep it in good shape, do the race, and decide to hang it up, you can probably sell the newer bike easier and get more investment back.

There are a lot more affordable newer tri bikes for less than $4k.

Top of the line QR 6 disc is $4300. Shipped to your door. Assemble in 2 minutes. Ride on.
https://shop.quintanarootri.com/collections/quintana-roo-prsix-disc

PR 5 is solid and $2600.

I have the PR 6 (non disc) and love the frame. Only had component issues with the top tube storage zippers and the back frame box attachment, but they replaced the parts no problem.

Lots of options!
2018-06-21 11:20 AM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

User image

Bethany, Illinois
Originally posted by TriJayhawkRyan

Keep in mind a 7 year old bike may be out of date. 11 or 10 speed? The world is now 11 speed, so if it's 10, less up-gradable.

Keep in mind tri bikes lose value faster than a car after you buy it and take it home. That being said, as long as you keep it in good shape, do the race, and decide to hang it up, you can probably sell the newer bike easier and get more investment back.

There are a lot more affordable newer tri bikes for less than $4k.

Top of the line QR 6 disc is $4300. Shipped to your door. Assemble in 2 minutes. Ride on.
https://shop.quintanarootri.com/collections/quintana-roo-prsix-disc

PR 5 is solid and $2600.

I have the PR 6 (non disc) and love the frame. Only had component issues with the top tube storage zippers and the back frame box attachment, but they replaced the parts no problem.

Lots of options!

$4300 gets you the frameset... close to $10k with DI2 and wheelset.

Checkout the Canyon Speedmax 7.0. $2500
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-7-0

2018-06-21 9:29 PM

Originally posted by lisa34

Hello All,

I did an Ironman 70.3 a few years ago on a rented bike. I am now doing my first Ironman 140.6 and need to purchase a tri-bike. I have been to a reputable bike shop with a well skilled bike fitter. We have narrowed down my options to the "2011 Trek Speed Concept 2.5 Triathlon Bike" ($1,499) or the "2018 Trek Speed Concept Triathlon Bike" ($3,999). My initial goal was to keep the cost as low as possible, but after research and speaking with the bike dealer I now I am very indecisive. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do or what you would do?

I am not sure what my plans are after this first Ironman. I may do another right after or I may do another one many years later. Not sure!

HELP?????

I'm baffled at the cost of that 2011 Trek. If I recall, the 2.5 was the aluminum version with 105ish components. 1500 for a 7 year old mid tier bike? That's off. I don't think that bike retailed for more than 2k new? I've got to think you can negotiate that price way down. It has to be used? If so. . . I just don't get that price.

As far as the difference between the two. . . the cheaper bike gets you into just as fast a position. Maybe offer half of what they are asking and see what happens. Maybe it has upgraded wheels or something?
2018-06-22 11:34 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
is the Trek Speed concept the only bike that can fit you? I know the answer, just keep in mind you can get a great bike for under $2000, new or used. A new Felt B14, all carbon, Ultegra components comes in at just under $2K, some were on sale a month or so back at $1800-1900. Lots of other brands too.

If that 2011 SC is is good shape nothing wrong with that. If you get hooked into the sport I'm guessing you wouldn't look to upgrade that bike anyhow, you'd end up buying something newer so I would worry too much about 10 speed vs. 11 speed etc.
2018-06-22 11:52 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Oviedo, Florida
I would try several bikes and see which one "feels" right. Once you get on idea of the type of bike you like you can zero in using the bike fit you already have. You have to have a pretty good idea of what size you need. Manufacturers can differ, but you'll get a good idea.

I sold my entry level roadie with clip on aerobars and bought a older Felt B2. Full carbon and had a great fit by my LBS. I bought it on craigslist for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Yes, I won't be able to upgrade this much, but if you're on a budget it might be something to think about.

As far as not being able to upgrade from 10-11 speed, yeah that's true. But in my case it doesn't really matter. I'm super comfortable on my B2 and put a couple thousand miles on it before my full iron. Upgrading won't make me faster - building up my endurance will. It aint the bike holding me back.

BTW... I bought the B2 for LESS than you paid to rent a bike (a lot less). Just because a bike is older doesn't make it slow.

I live in Central FLA so there's many, many tri bikes to pick from. Some folks buy them, ride them for a race or two and hang it in the garage. Some are real steals and tend to go fast. I listed my entry level roadie on craigslist and it was gone 24 hours later.

Just my .02 , but you really don't need to spend thousands of $$$ to get a nice ride.

--
Dave
2018-06-23 12:22 AM

I'm a 15-year tri coach and own a triathlon shop.

1) FIT is the key. If it doesn't fit, it isn't right for you at any price.

2) Assuming several bikes fit, go for budget and goals.

The shop will give you options based on what they can get you. That limits your options, but adding options means adding logistics--travel, other shops, etc. Example: if a Trek SC fits you, so will several other brands at price ranges from $2600 to $5000 for a full carbon, race ready machine.

Not sure I helped, but do more looking if those are your only options.
2018-06-23 7:37 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by lisa34 Hello All, I did an Ironman 70.3 a few years ago on a rented bike. I am now doing my first Ironman 140.6 and need to purchase a tri-bike. I have been to a reputable bike shop with a well skilled bike fitter. We have narrowed down my options to the "2011 Trek Speed Concept 2.5 Triathlon Bike" ($1,499) or the "2018 Trek Speed Concept Triathlon Bike" ($3,999). My initial goal was to keep the cost as low as possible, but after research and speaking with the bike dealer I now I am very indecisive. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do or what you would do? I am not sure what my plans are after this first Ironman. I may do another right after or I may do another one many years later. Not sure! HELP?????

Well...my budget for my first 70.3 was $1000.  After paying my 4 month gym membership to have access to a pool, buying a wet suit, paying for my race registration, planning for training and race day nutrition, saving away a little bit for tubes, tires, water bottles, bike tune up, bike fitting, etc.  My bike budget was $300.  I got a 17 year old aluminum frame Cannondale Multisport with 650C wheels on that budget and was very happy with my new race bike. It was fast and fun to ride.

My second bike I didn't have a hard budget.  I knew I was going to use it for several years and was more interested in getting a good deal/value than fitting a certain price limit.  I didn't break the bank.  I bought a 2011 for $1,500.  I was probably happier with my $300 bike purchase though.  I passed lots of people in races who were on $4000 bikes riding my $300 Canondale Multisport.  

I am frugal and save every penny I can. It haven't slowed me down in races. 

2018-06-26 8:19 PM
in reply to: #5244902

Wow, thanks you guys for all your input. It was truly very helpful and insightful. I decided to get neither bike and will continue looking for something more suitable! Thanks!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New help with Tri-bike purchase ASAP!!!!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need Help Choosing A Garmin Watch...Or Any Watch for Run/Bike/OWSwim

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 1033 Posts: 11

2017-12-01 8:20 AM TheCrownsOwn

How much bike upgrade with new bike?

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 985 Posts: 12

2017-08-25 8:39 AM yazmaster

Road bike to Tri bike conversion

Started by Haych75
Views: 2138 Posts: 5