General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trisuit for warm water event Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-18 12:09 PM

Subject: Trisuit for warm water event
Hi all, so I'm signed up for IM Cozumel in Nov, trying to work out what tri suit would be best to compete in. This is a wetsuit-banned race and it'll likely be hot/sunny all day.

I like to keep things as simple as possible so ideally want to find a single suit that I can swim/bike/run in, don't really want to have to wear a swim skin.

Are there any suits that match what I'm after? It seems that many (most?) tri suits are expected to be worn under wetsuits or a swim skin and with mesh backs / pockets would cause significant drag in the water if worn alone.

2018-06-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: Aurigan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: Trisuit for warm water event
There are some that will work well, but they will cost you maybe $200 or more.

I go with my tri top and shorts and a speed suit I bought off ebay for $20. Covers my pockets, seams and waist band, compresses a little to reduce more drag in the water. Easy to get off.
2018-06-20 10:06 PM
in reply to: Aurigan

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Trisuit for warm water event
Partly this is a matter of the tri suit's fit. If you are comfortable with a tighter fit for the bike and run, then go a little smaller than you might for a wetsuit race. I have a 2XU suit that is fine for ocean swims without a wetsuit. It's XS; I have a similar suit that is size S that I wear for wetsuit races. Both feel fine on bike and run.

I swam competitively in HS and age group clubs and think I know drag when I feel it; the drag on a well-fitting tri suit is pretty minimal. If no open water is available, you can try pushing off aggressively from the wall in a pool--if you feel water under the suit or pockets flapping around, it is too loose to be ideal for a no-wetsuit swim. I definitely have some suits that I will only wear for wetsuit-legal races and some that I wear when I can't wear the wetsuit.

Otherwise, just invest in a cheap swim skin. Solves the problem of drag, makes you faster, allows you to wear a favorite suit even if it's not skin-tight, and is very easy to get on/off. It doesn't make you feel hotter in warm water, if that is a concern. I wore one (Roka Viper) for Vietnam 70.3 in last month, with air temps well into the 90's and water in the 80's, and it was fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trisuit for warm water event Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trisuit grip

Started by Tizzy
Views: 370 Posts: 2

2018-06-13 10:25 AM TriJayhawkRyan

Sleeves or sleeveless trisuit or two pieces

Started by rebiker17
Views: 6246 Posts: 11

2018-06-26 10:02 AM toastygloveman

Staying warm in a non-wetsuit swim