General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegan Race Fuel???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-26 8:34 PM

Subject: Vegan Race Fuel????
Hello All,

Any Vegan/Whole Food Plant-Based athletes on this forum? I am VERY meticulous about what I consume on a day to do basis. I also cannot eat gluten or soy products on top of being vegan. I am a super-duper health nut and all of the sports gels and bars and drinks I’ve found on the market contain ingredients I refuse to consume. Anyone have any suggestions or resources they can lead me to? Recommend any all natural products? I do not mind making my own race food/fuel but have no idea what I need. I was thinking dates, coconut water, homemade energy bars, maybe eat a banana or other fruit on the bike ride of between events? This may not be feasible since I know I need to keep it simple. HELP?

Also, during a Full Ironman, WHAT do I need to make sure I replenish my body with during the race (ie. Potassium, salt, etc)? How MANY calories do I need to consume during the race? WHEN do I consume these items (ie. After the swim? During the bike? During the run?). So clueless!

Also, physical activity completely takes away my appetite. However, I’ve read that I will need to force myself to eat during the race or else I’ll pay for it during the run. So what do you suggest?

Thanks!

2018-06-26 10:08 PM
in reply to: lisa34

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Vegan Race Fuel????
Not really a vegan or dietary purist myself, but I do have issues with a lot of the products that are commercially available, and I am going to be facing the same issues as will be training for a full IM in November. I don't have a sweet tooth and find most gels and drinks nauseating; also can't race or run with any product with wheat or dairy. Plus I gag on almost all gu, especially when racing hard.

I have a pretty unorthodox approach to HIM nutrition--I use dark chocolate as my main and, in some cases, my only fuel on the bike leg. It works for me. Pretty sure you could find vegan chocolate that doesn't use soy products either. I supplement the chocolate with some salted nuts; I do carry a backup gu or two in case the chocolate melts or gets dropped. Most IM races have bananas available on the bike and run legs--I actually did one HIM mainly using them as fuel (I'd had food poisoning and couldn't keep down much else). Not my best performance, and it's hard to stay aero while eating a banana, but I did finish without further GI issues. Other possibilities could be dried fruit or, as you mentioned, homemade energy bars or gu. You can put the latter into squeeze tubes or special flasks on your bike. I know most people tend to rely on pure carbs for energy during the race, but in longer events at lower intensity, adding some fat or protein to the mix can also be effective. However, what works for different people, and what their guts can tolerate, will vary a lot.

I know others have recommended the Feed Zone Cookbook for homemade training and racing fuel recipes. Many should be vegan and some are probably gluten and soy-free as well.

As for specific amounts of calories, fluids, and electrolytes, that varies a lot with body size, gender, race conditions, sweat rate, how long you'll be out there, etc. etc. As a 115 pound woman, I've noticed that I'm taking in maybe half the calories that a bigger guy might during a HIM. That being said, I sweat like a monster in hot conditions and can probably match some 200 pounds guys for fluid intake!

Most people try to consume most of their calories on the bike, since it's easier to digest there. Run fuel is normally less, and more easily digestible. Fluid intake (both water and electrolytes) should be happening throughout the bike and run. Coconut water does provide some electrolytes and might be an alternative to commercial drinks, but I would check out the amounts of sodium and potassium it provides. Definitely I have used it when bike touring and riding recreationally in SE Asia.

Not sure I can advise much on specific amounts--given the complexity of your needs, you might want to consult a nutritionist who specializes in training and race nutrition for athletes. Hopefully others with more technical expertise can chime in here.
2018-06-27 8:13 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

I like these in place of gels:  https://endurancetap.com/

2018-06-27 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I'm not vegan.  I'm not a fan of sports drinks/gels/etc either.  I tend to have an "iron stomach" and can tolerate about anything and have done a number of ultramarathons where aid stations serve anything and everything (we ate hot dogs during a marathon once, but we were running at a pace that was an hour slower than what we *could* do).  

You'll need to work out the fueling/hydration strategy for your Ironman during your training.   It'll be based on your specific metabolism and needs.  

In general, people plan to consume 200-500 calories per hour during the race (after the swim).  You'll want some combination of protein, carbohydrates, fat, and electrolytes.  Chances are, you'll target 200-300 cal/hr as it may be hard to get enough calories given your other restrictions/preferences.  

Too little, and you'll "bonk" (run out of energy) and a full-on bonk is scary (like your thinking ability is completely GONE).  More likely, you'll notice more subtle changes associated with low energy (for example, your mood may become very pessimistic) way before you bonk.  

Too much and your stomach will shut down and you'll be suffer all the GI distresses (bloating, nausea) because everything is sloshing around.  It's a common theme that athletes will experience this even if they think they've "dialed it in" during training, but the stress of the race and the likelihood of higher intensity during the race means your body doesn't process the food the same as it did in training.  If this happens during the race, you can slow down a bit (trust me, if this happens, you will slow down...) until your body has recovered.  

Most races will have some fresh fruit at the aid stations on the bike and on the run.  You might look at HEED as a sports drink to provide electrolytes without the sugar.  You'll want to provide most of your own nutrition rather than "eat off the course" given your preferences, but you'll need something to replace some of the 5000-7000 calories you'll burn during the day.  (You can do the math, 200 cal/hr times 10-12 hours is 2000-2400 calories, so you'll still be 3000-5000 calories down at the finish line.)  

2018-07-04 10:48 AM

User image

Ventura, California

Hi, I am plant based but not a hardcore vegan so my choices tend to be a little more flexible. I have used dates on the bike (during training) before and they actually work surprisingly well. All though they are very sugar heavy too many I am sure will cause issues. I myself am fine with GU gels as they are Vegan. For my electrolytes I use a powder from a company called Trace Minerals Research and they have a product called Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak. These are also Certified Vegan. I have used these products for years without issue. 

I mix the electrolyte powder in one water bottle on the bike while I leave other bottle plain water. I carry a extra packet of powder if I want to mix more during a water station pit stop.

I eat lots of bananas fruit during training. During a race however you are kinda at the mercy of whats offered on course. I did 2 70.3 Ironmans last year and they had a surprising amount of options at the aid stations, but this where that being 'flexible' part comes into play. If your a hardcore vegan and you refuse to eat any on course nutrition and you don't have your own, well then your race is going to be a little difficult.

Going into full IM territory is something I cannot comment on. My 2 70.3 attempts where nutritional challenges for sure. During the last few miles of the 13.1 run at my last 70.3 I got the dreaded sugar belly from too many gels and Gatorade. (For the record, I can't stand Gatorade)Even through I was also drinking plenty of water both my 70.3's where very hot and I was sweating heavily so I felt I needed the electrolytes on the run. Basically once you get sugar belly you will not want to put anything else in your system and life just starts to suck exponentially with every additional mile.

Being plant based vegan for training and shorter distances is easy enough, but I think once you get into 70.3 and 140. IM territory, things get really difficult and it might be best to seek out a sports nutritionists whom specializes in plant based/vegan solutions.

Not sure how much all that helps, but nutrition is highly individualized and being strict vegan makes that even more difficult. Try a website called 'No Meat Athlete' which should prove very helpful. In addition you might want to read up on vegan icons such as former Ultraman Rich Roll and Ultra Marathoner Scott Jurek. Best Wishes and cheers for your dedication to compassionate eating and earth conservation.

Peace and Plants

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegan Race Fuel???? Rss Feed