General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best option for seeing cars from behind Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-29 11:17 PM

Subject: Best option for seeing cars from behind
Looking for options to see cars coming from behind. With all the texting and driving would like to see if someone is coming at me so I can ditch if needed.

Thanks in advance

2018-06-30 6:37 AM
in reply to: #5245260

Subject: RE: Best option for seeing cars from behind
Garmin varia radar if you have the funds or a cheap mirror works also.
2018-07-01 1:34 PM
in reply to: cracra

Originally posted by cracra

Looking for options to see cars coming from behind. With all the texting and driving would like to see if someone is coming at me so I can ditch if needed.

Thanks in advance

Do you really want to see the car that is about to hit you? Pick your roads wisely and have faith you'll make it back home.
2018-07-02 12:30 PM

User image

I had the same concerns when I first started out and have tried various mirrors with the helmet mounted one probably being the best. It's a relatively inexpensive way to go if you want to see behind you. I'm intrigued by the Varia but can't justify the money.

After I became more comfortable on the road I found that I wasn't really using the mirrors and they were more of a pain. Overtime I've become pretty aware of my surroundings and have found some relatively safe routes to ride. I should also mention that I think my tolerance for close calls is much greater than some of my friends who don't ride as much. I remember being passed by a car late last year and my buddies freaked out at how close the person had gotten to us... but it didn't even register as a close call to me.

2018-07-02 2:25 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I love my helmet mounted mirror. Where I ride, plenty of roads do not have a paved shoulder, and plenty of motorists have no inclination whatsoever to give me any room when passing, so I really value being able to keep an eye on vehicles coming up behind me. If I had paved shoulder and/or courteous motorists I might not need it, but I consider it an absolutely essential piece of gear.
2018-07-02 3:33 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by cracra Looking for options to see cars coming from behind. With all the texting and driving would like to see if someone is coming at me so I can ditch if needed. Thanks in advance

My method is to listen for traffic.  I can hear cars approaching me from behind.  As they get close I move as far out on the shoulder as I can to let them pass me.  If a car is coming from the opposite direction and they are not able to move out into the lane going the opposite direction as they pass or if I am on a bridge or other area that doesn't give much of a shoulder I shoulder check to see the car and what is is doing.  If you can hear cars coming up then you can use it to your advantage.

2018-07-02 6:34 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by cracra Looking for options to see cars coming from behind. With all the texting and driving would like to see if someone is coming at me so I can ditch if needed. Thanks in advance

My method is to listen for traffic.  I can hear cars approaching me from behind.  As they get close I move as far out on the shoulder as I can to let them pass me.  If a car is coming from the opposite direction and they are not able to move out into the lane going the opposite direction as they pass or if I am on a bridge or other area that doesn't give much of a shoulder I shoulder check to see the car and what is is doing.  If you can hear cars coming up then you can use it to your advantage.

This. Your best defense is awareness.  Don't wear headphones, listen for cars, and look over your shoulder carefully.  I also find that if i acknowledge the cars, if they know i am aware of them, they tend to treat me better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best option for seeing cars from behind Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Advice..good bike/good deal?

Started by mikeymac
Views: 1202 Posts: 5

2017-11-28 8:38 PM pistuo

Good Idea/Bad Idea Events Before 'A' Race

Started by ponderingfox
Views: 1116 Posts: 16

2017-11-07 7:10 AM FranzZemen

Good triathlon blogs by average age groups athletes

Started by Triatlwest
Views: 828 Posts: 1