General Discussion Triathlon Talk » continental grand prix 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-06-30 5:22 PM

Subject: continental grand prix 2
im thinking about buying new tires and ive heard alot of good things about this tire. how many of you guys have went to it, and if so can you tell me if there was a speed difference. if so how much did you experience, either good or bad.

2018-06-30 10:44 PM
in reply to: #5245272

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: continental grand prix 2
You mean the Grand Prix 4000S II? Yes, they are generally mentioned as great racing and all around tires. Combine them with latex tubes and you’ll have a fast setup with decent flat protection. I think the Conti TT tires are a little bit faster but don’t have quite the flat protection or longevity. I use the 4000S II’s as my daily tire. You can get them pretty cheap from probikekit or wiggle. You’ll probably pick up 1 mph versus most other tires...probably more if you’re comparing them to Gaterskins.
2018-07-01 9:04 AM
in reply to: JoelO

thank you. i have never had a flat and frankly dont know how to change one, yes i will youtube it before my race, but flats scare the stuff out of me. i need to pick up 1mph. if i could pick up 1mph with just a tire change that would be amazing. i train in the ozark mnts so its all hills and some pretty big ones. matter fact i gain a 1000 feet more in my 45 mile ride than in the whole half iron man im signed up for. but i only avg around 14.3 to 14.5 overall. around 12.5 in the hills and 16 ish on the flats if i could find some flats. yes fast enough to finish but want the extra mph.
as far as latex tubes i researched them and how fast they deflate dissuaded me. i want something that wont cause me problems with my lack of mechanical abilities.
its all a trade off i know, looking for the right mix.
again, thanks
2018-07-01 9:12 AM
in reply to: bnsafe

oh yea, i am comparing them to my original tires that came on my giant defy 1.
and someone talk to me about latex tubes, should i or to much hassle. i ride 3 times a week and generally air up before each ride. is that enough. i dont air up during the winter well maybe once or twice but not much as i dont ride. how are they on flats.
sorry for all the dumb questions. i just need to fine tune my HIM equipment with 12 weeks to go.
2018-07-01 11:02 AM

now i just read bad things about the continental tubes. what are yall racing with in the butyl line
2018-07-01 12:12 PM
in reply to: #5245276

User image

Franklin, TN
Continental butyl tubes are fine...don't think they have a latex offering.

I use Vitoria latex tubes. Latex tubes require pumping up before each ride. You have to be a little more careful with the initial installation to prevent a pinch flat. If you race with latex tubes you'll want to have butyl tubes in your flat kit. Butyl tubes will be faster to install in the case of a flat. I've also heard latex tubes don't hold air from Co2 cartridges very well.

Yes, you need to practice installing a tube. I wouldn't want to rely on support for a flat tire out on a 56 mile bike course.

2018-07-01 1:27 PM

Originally posted by JoelO

You mean the Grand Prix 4000S II? Yes, they are generally mentioned as great racing and all around tires. Combine them with latex tubes and you’ll have a fast setup with decent flat protection. I think the Conti TT tires are a little bit faster but don’t have quite the flat protection or longevity. I use the 4000S II’s as my daily tire. You can get them pretty cheap from probikekit or wiggle. You’ll probably pick up 1 mph versus most other tires...probably more if you’re comparing them to Gaterskins.

They are pretty much the go-to tire for most roadies. My sense is that other tire companies have caught up with them. . . but the loyalty has been well established.
2018-07-02 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by JoelO You mean the Grand Prix 4000S II? Yes, they are generally mentioned as great racing and all around tires. Combine them with latex tubes and you’ll have a fast setup with decent flat protection. I think the Conti TT tires are a little bit faster but don’t have quite the flat protection or longevity. I use the 4000S II’s as my daily tire. You can get them pretty cheap from probikekit or wiggle. You’ll probably pick up 1 mph versus most other tires...probably more if you’re comparing them to Gaterskins.

I just replaced the set that came originally on my road bike (6000 miles).  No complaints.  I put on Gatorskins for the flat protection.  I'm not a fan of flats (training or racing) and giving up 0.2 mph isn't affecting my race based income (at last count, that was about -$3000).  

2018-07-02 11:08 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

gatorskins aren't any better at puncture resistance and they'll cost you like 10 watts, also they ride like crap and feel awful.

2018-07-02 9:01 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

i ordered the grand prix 2 and a couple tubes. prob coulda got by with what i had on it but i was ready for a change. thanks for the input i will post when i get them and any speed and or ride changes.
2018-07-02 9:15 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

Originally posted by dmiller5

gatorskins aren't any better at puncture resistance and they'll cost you like 10 watts, also they ride like crap and feel awful.

This. . . unless you run on some really really bad roads.

On latex, look, they are faster, that is well established. They do come with a drawback in having to top them off every ride. For someone that rides 6 days a week. . . it was a pain at first, but I've gotten used to it. I don't think they are any more flat prone than butyl and if you choose to use sealant, the stuff I've read is that they are better. Of course, I sense you're a long way off from removing stem cores and filling tubes with sealant

I agree 100% on carrying a butyl spare. I don't want to mess with a latex tube on the fly. Just learn to change a tube man. It's very easy once you've done it a few times and it's a must have skill for anyone riding a road bike. The hardest part is getting used to re-seating the bead without your thumbs getting too sore.

2018-07-03 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by bnsafe

thank you. i have never had a flat and frankly dont know how to change one, yes i will youtube it before my race, but flats scare the stuff out of me. ...
i want something that wont cause me problems with my lack of mechanical abilities.
its all a trade off i know, looking for the right mix.
again, thanks

Best investment I ever made was spending an hour at the LBS that hosts a free "basic maintenance" class.
Hands on instruction on both patching and tube replacement....with flat kits, and even C02 and nibs and not just a pump or a compressor.
While I am not 'good' at it. Or fast, despite a fair a amount of practice. I have a ton more confidence with it. Although, that doesn't stop me from getting steaming mad and grouchy when it happens.

Check around. See if any of yours offer that. They even got into some basic...very basic shifting adjustments and basic brake adjustments. While they didn't give away their trade secrets.....they also gave me tons of things to look for/be aware of/etc. So, I don't feel like I do when I take my car in for repairs when they could tell me anything and I'd have no clue. $100 says if you brought them some pizza or bagels, they'd let you come in and they'd show ya to change yours out.

I just wish they did better service when I've taken my bike in. Another shop in town seems to do a better job with my bike.

Edited by jhaack39 2018-07-03 10:23 AM
2018-07-03 10:29 AM

Originally posted by ziggie204
The hardest part is getting used to re-seating the bead without your thumbs getting too sore.

This is possible? Please tell me.

I know LB gave me a trick for making new tires go on easier. (Toss them in the dryer). I try to do that roadside by leaving the tire in the sun on asphalt if I can.

Edited by jhaack39 2018-07-03 10:32 AM
2018-07-03 11:36 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

if you've been riding, they should be warmed up and supple.  its usually just when you have to put the new tire on.  also, never buy a wire bead.

2018-07-03 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jhaack39
Originally posted by ziggie204 The hardest part is getting used to re-seating the bead without your thumbs getting too sore.
This is possible? Please tell me. I know LB gave me a trick for making new tires go on easier. (Toss them in the dryer). I try to do that roadside by leaving the tire in the sun on asphalt if I can.

The Conti 4000s IIs go on pretty easily, at least compared to the Ultra Sport model or Gatorskins. 

And like Dave said above, it's a good 10 watts savings for the GPs vs. Gatorskins or other rougher models.  IMO they're the best all-around tire- low rolling resistance, decent flat resistance, great handling in all conditions, and as a bonus they don't wear out quickly if you throw them on a wheel-on trainer.

2018-07-03 4:27 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

i admit, im gonna go to the lbs i bought the bike from and have them do my free tune up,, and pay them to install the tires. but, im gonna ask/watch and get advice on changing tires. i have watched the you tube stuff. i could change one in a pinch, just dont want the first time to be in the middle of my HIM. guess it wont matter if i dont make the swim time, lol.

2018-07-03 5:21 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

If you go to the LBS, have them watch you do it (with them giving you pointers).  Watching them do it is no better than watching a youtube video.  Practice on the rear wheel...it's trickier just because you're dealing with the rear derailleur.  The front is a piece of cake (removal and mounting) in comparison.  Also, be sure to use Co2 cartridges when you practice (or at least know how to use them).  I've seen people (even pros) lose all the air from a Co2 because they didn't use it correctly.

2018-07-05 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Changing tires (flats, or just swapping out tires) is easy once you PRACTICE it a few times. I just did it front of the TV a few times.  I'm not fast so any race would be screwed with a flat, but at least I'm self-sufficient out there. 

2018-07-11 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
This will help a ton with the last few inches left to pull over. Not always necessary but positively ends the sore hands. Get 1.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack-With-Handle-Black...
2018-07-12 5:08 PM
in reply to: tri42

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

way

Originally posted by tri42 This will help a ton with the last few inches left to pull over. Not always necessary but positively ends the sore hands. Get 1. https://www.jensonusa.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack-With-Handle-Black...
I had to use this tool on my way old Easton SL wheels, what a PITA with tires.  Then I rode on Felt TTR2 wheels for a number of year and had to use levers or this for the trainer tire.  When I got the wide FLO wheels they were so much easier even on my bad hand days I could mount GP4k's on them without tools.

In my heydays I rode GP4k's with latex tubes & sealant for about 4 years for training and racing. Never flatted in with them.  Once rode through a broken glass field and 2 guys in the group with Gatorskins got flats! I sang a Hasher song "why am I waiting, I could be masturbating!" song while they changed out tubes, group was cracking up! If it is going to happen it'll happen.  I now ride a gravel bike a lot with tubeless tires and sealant.  Absolutely nothing better hearing a rotating tire air leak seal up within 20 years of travel!

2018-08-02 7:41 PM
in reply to: Donto

what kind of sealant donto. i am going tomorrow to have them put on, then have a olympic tri this sunday. wanted a week to ride on them, but timing didnt work out.

2018-08-03 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Rode Conti 4000s II for years and loved them...new bike has tubeless and I will never go back...combined with the carbon fiber bike I don't think I have ever had such a smooth ride at such low tire pressure...

Edited by tiggere 2018-08-03 11:11 AM
2018-08-03 3:15 PM
in reply to: #5245272

User image

Franklin, TN
I think we, myself included, have thrown too many options to the OP at one time. Latex, sealant & tubeless are all viable and good options for folks that have worked with and changed several tires.

OP, start with the basics. Continental GP 4000S II tires and butyl tubes. Learn how to put them on and take them off using a standard floor pump and CO2 cartridges. That's all you need right now. Even with butyl tubes those tires will give you free speed over most other offerings.
2018-08-03 7:18 PM

thanks guys, all the info is greatly appreciated. the tires and new butyl tubes are on. i just got home so no riding yet but maybe a short ride tomorrow just to see how it goes then a olympic tri sunday. they look nice and cant wait to see if i get a small uptick in speed. if not it was still worth it. i had quite abit done to the bike today, including disc brake work, new chain, tightening some loose things, cleaning of rings
, hope it holds up sunday.
2018-08-15 7:11 PM

ok, just a quick personal review. after putting on the new tires, i raised and moved my bike seat back about a cm each way thinking i would get more power. after about 80 miles i am averaging 1.1 mph faster than i was with no extra training involved and on the same training runs i had previously, so its apples to apples. they also seem to ride much smoother than what i had on, although that might be in my head with no way to measure that.
so all in all, i am extremely pleased.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » continental grand prix 2 Rss Feed  

of 2