90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 2s
Overall Rank = 19/59
Age Group = M18-39
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

Yay! First triathlon in five years!

I went to bed around midnight and woke up slightly before 5 AM after having an awful dream about not being able to find transition after the swim. In the dream I was in the process of calling my coach to ask if I should just DNF when I awoke with a start. After a profound sense of relief washed over me I ate some peanut covered bagels and a banana and drove the 30 minutes to the race.

As I was setting up in transition (early bird gets the end of the row!) they announced that the water temperature was 82 degrees, so no wetsuits. This made me a very sad panda.

Event warmup:

I took a salt tab and drank some Gatorade. The race had an in water start and I stubbed my toe really bad getting in approximately 5 seconds before the race director announced from his megaphone, "BE CAREFUL! THERE ARE A BUNCH OF LARGE RAZOR SHARP ROCKS EXACTLY WHERE WE DECIDED TO HAVE YOU GET IN THIS WARM BATHTUB OF A LAKE"
Swim
  • 39m 12s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had trouble finding my groove the first lap. The distance between the 2nd and 3rd buoys was very large compared to the distance between the other buoys and it felt like I was swimming to the 3rd buoy for about 5 hours. It just refused to get any closer. I would look up, think, "Wow! Almost there", swim for another 2 minutes, look up, and the damn thing looked exactly as far away as it had been 2 minutes ago.

The second lap I found my groove and it went pretty smooth. So smooth I decided to try and take care of that nagging call of nature that had been in the back of my mind the entire swim. Unfortunately I've only been able to pull off the peeing while swimming maneuver once in my entire triathlon career (during my IM where I was extremely hydrated) and so I arrived on shore still needing to pee. Fortunately there was a bathroom right after the swim exit. Unfortunately, my swim time includes the bathroom break as well as the jog up the giant hill (remember this hill) to transition.
What would you do differently?:

I would sign up for a triathlon in November so the swim was wetsuit legal. I would figure out how to pee while swimming. If my 3 year old can do it I should be able to as well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I had a difficult time getting my Garmin on and had to redo a safety pin on my race bib. Out of practice!

Since 2006 I have discussed buying a tri suit top. It still hasn't happened.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 56s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike training paid off. As usual, a ton of people passed me, but this time around I got a lot of them back on the 2nd loop. It was pretty hilly out there and hot. I made a mistake and missed the water stop after the first loop and had to go the last 20-30 minutes without water or Gatorade (remember this!)

Stop and refill the water bottles.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

I was really freaking thirsty and spent too much time looking for a bottle of nonexistent Gatorade in my transition spot and/or finding a volunteer to tell me where I could find some water. But bonus! I didn't forget to take my bike helmet off!

JUST GO MORON!
Run
  • 58m 8s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this sucked. Luckily it sucked for everyone! I mean I barely broke an hour on a 10K and still finished with the 13th best run split! The first lap went okay... but it was hotter than hell and hilly AF. In fact the giant hill I mentioned running up at the end of the swim was waiting for me again at the end of each loop. I could feel leg cramps coming on as I climbed this hill so I walked it. The entire second loop I just tried to drink as much Heed as possible and stop the onset of full leg cramps. So I walked most of the uphills and ran the downhills and the (very few) flats the rest of the way. Basically a suffer-fest.

Stay in bed when it's this hot.
Post race
Warm down:

They had cool towels so that was nice. Did some stretching, ate some bad pizza, packed up and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT. Missing the bike water stop. HEAT. Not being able to use my wetsuit. HEAT.

Event comments:

Overall I'm pleased to have finished my first triathlon in five years without injuring my back! After discussing with my coach I also think I put in a solid effort in tough conditions.

Last updated: 2018-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:12 | 1500 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 24/59
Performance: Good
Suit: Not wetsuit legal :(
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:56 | 25 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/14
Overall: 0/59
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:08 | 06.2 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 13/59
Performance: Average
Course: Out and Back that you did twice. That was HILLY.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes