General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Purchase a Quintana Roo Kilo or PR3 Series Bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-03 6:37 PM

Subject: Purchase a Quintana Roo Kilo or PR3 Series Bike?
Hello All,

I am about to purchase my first triathlete bike ever. I am a beginner. I raced the IM 70.3 on a rented triathlon bike about 5 years ago, but now I am training for an IM 140.6 (racing in the Fall) and decided to buy a bike. My race goals are just personal....to finish! It's just a personal accomplishment with the thought that I plan to do more 70.3 and/or 140.6's in the future years occasionally as I see fit. No rush or plan with when I want to do more races after this one.

With this in mind, my budget really only allows for me to purchase the Quintana Roo Kilo ($1900, but getting a deal on it for about $1700) since the bike shop owner was trying to keep me under my budget (I'm a low paying teacher). I am 5'8'' and was first told that a size 52 would be perfect for me, but during my official fitting the fitter found that it was too small (the seat stand had to be raised all the way to the top with very little stem left in the tube. He was afraid if I bought a 52 then the stem may brake on me). So he wants me to get the next size up a 54. They did not have a 54 in stock in the show room so they needed to order me a 54. But before doing so, I told them I wanted to "think" about it and test ride the floor model. So, without being fit on the 54, they loaned me the bike to ride it for a bit. So I took it on a few trial rides (50 miler, 20 miler, 15 miler)....I hated every minute of my rides because I could not last 30 seconds in the aero position and the interior of my back btwn my two tapezius muscles hurt so bad during the ride. It was the most uncomfortable bike ride I have ever had!!! I was thinking was this because the Kilo sucks or because I was not fit on the bike and that would change for the good when I was fit on it???? I explained this to the bike fitter and he told me it was because (1) it is an entry level tri-bike and (2) I did not have the bike fit to me. He said a proper fitting would "probably" make it work so I would feel better, but no promises because the bike is so basic and thus will be more uncomfortable then the next level bikes up from that. With that in mind, he then highly recommended that I think about spending an extra $500 to get the Quintana Roo PR 3 in a size 52 which would fit me much better and be a better bike. However, the extra $500 is over my limit/budget. He said for me to really think about it because it'd be a better purchase. He'd hate for me to have buyers remorse after I purchase the Quintana Roo Kilo and thus regret not spending that extra $500 to get the PR 3. What do you guys think? I'd really like to make the Kilo work because I got such a good deal and it works with my budget. Buying a bike is an extremely new experience for me so I need help with this decision from someone who is not financially invested in this decision, but could give me sound advice. Any feedback?

Thanks in Advance!!!

2018-07-03 10:03 PM
in reply to: lisa34

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Purchase a Quintana Roo Kilo or PR3 Series Bike?
Not a bike expert here, but to me it sounds like the bike shop guy is just trying to push you into buying a more expensive bike. I've tried a lot of bikes and never noticed that higher-end bikes (road or tri) are noticeably more comfortable (if anything, sometimes the opposite!); they're just flashier with higher-end components, and marginally faster. I don't see why a bike that's $500 more should necessarily be more comfortable UNLESS the fit was honestly somehow different or better than you could achieve on a cheaper bike that was properly sized and fitted. That probably wouldn't be a function of price but maybe have to do with the design of a particular brand or model. That comment about "no promises because the bike is so basic" sounds like a red flag to me. It can't be THAT much more basic if it's "only" $500 less (you do realize that tri bikes can go up to 10K or more?). How can the bike be so "basic" that it can't be adjusted for a proper fit?

To me, the discomfort you experienced sounds like a poor fit and/or sizing issue. I'm close to your height (5'7" and change) and my tri bike is a 52--I do feel sometimes like it's a little on the small side lengthwise, but it handles well and is comfortable for long distances in aero; probably I'd be a bit more aero on a 54, but I had a very limited choice when I was buying in Vietnam. My road bike is a 54 and I think a little on the big side (I'm a bit too stretched out on it), so quite possibly we are "between sizes" and either one would need some adjustment. The original owner of my tri bike (a Cervelo P2) was a Japanese man with a very different build than me--longer torso, shorter arms and legs. When I first tried the bike it felt horrible, and I thought there was no way it would work. But after a professional fitting (fortunately, I was able to do that before committing to buying it), it was much better. People's bodies, even at the same height, are pretty different and I think it would be very hard to get a great fit "off the rack".
2018-07-04 12:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Go to another bike shop......be done with that guy.

I might be wrong, but at 5'8" you are probably more leg than torso.....I say that because I have 4 daughters who are 5'8 - 5'10.....and their brother is 6'5" with a shorter inseam than 3 of them.  Now that that's out of the way.....I doubt they can fit you well on a 52.  MAYBE if you are a very experienced rider who can get into a very radical position.....but no way from the way you described your experience. 

And the idea that an entry level tri bike is going to be harder to fit you on then a more expensive bike is pure BULLCHIT.  Fit is about bike geometry and body measurments, not frame composition and components.

There are a few folks on this board who are good resources for a bike fit......but seriously, if you can search the web and HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING of bike fitting.....it's not voodoo.

Again....go find another bike shop and fitter.  That guy is full of it.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-07-04 12:37 AM
2018-07-04 6:13 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member

You can go on Quintana's website and find sizing charts to compare the specs of both bikes. I agree this sounds like a bait and switch to me. Don't let the bike guy push you into spending more than you want to spend. My first ride on my tri bike hurt my seat so bad I thought I made a big mistake. I swapped the seat out for the same seat I have on my road bike and I've been find ever since. Another option is to look around for a used bike. You might be able to find a higher end bike that is in your budget if you can get your fit figured out. 

2018-07-04 7:34 PM

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I now see what you are saying when you say there shouldn't be a huge difference btwn the two bikes if it's really only $500 more (especially when bikes can be thousands more). Aside from the rep up-selling me; I'm guess from these comments I should stay with the QR Kilo because the QR PR3 is not worth the extra $500 price tag especially when comfort is my main concern which you all say can be alleviated with a proper bike fit....phew...I was really worried!!! YES, my butt hurt SO BAD when I road the Kilo the first time for 3 hours. So I am glad to hear that can be resolved with a newer seat or a road bike seat. Do you think the QR Kilo is a good first time tri-bike? Have any of you owned this bike or know someone who has? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it a good purchase for my first time around?
2018-07-05 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Do an online search for a bike fit calculator (years ago, Colorado Cyclist had a very comprehensive site) and enlist a good friend to help you get the measurements that go into a fit (and run the calculator).  

Then, look at the geometry of the Kilo & PR3 and see how they compare to the numbers derived from your fit.  

If the geometry of both bikes are nearly the same (as I suspect), the fitter is blowing smoke pushing you into the higher price bike.  Your choice whether you continue to deal with the shop and educate yourself enough to deal with them or you find a different shop.  (Hint:  if you've educated yourself, you'll be better able to assess the "truthfulness" of ANY shop.)  

I am a little confused...you said they'd have to order you a 54, but they let you ride a 54 off the floor (but without any real fit).  

IMO, a size 54 tri-bike should be pretty standard fare for a bike shop, and they should be able to sell it even if you don't buy it.  You shouldn't feel any "obligation" to buy the bike hoping they can get it to fit you.  (If you were searching for a 48 or 61, it might be different.)  

With fit information, you might look at some other manufacturers with bikes in your price range.  Some models will be 52-54-56, others may be 53-55 (some are S-M-L but by looking at geometry, you can still know what you're getting).  

2018-07-05 8:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think the OP said they let her test-ride a 52 off the floor. It would probably be uncomfortable and awkward if not properly fitted and the frame size was on the small side for her even with optimal adjustments for that size. I agree that if they need to raise the seat so high that it's nearly coming out of the tube, you do need a 54 in that model for a good fit and safety/durability. My fit on the 52 is not quite to that point, and I've had no issues with the seat stem in five or six years of pretty heavy use, but much higher and I think it would be unsafe/ inadvisable.

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-07-05 8:24 PM
2018-07-06 6:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
For hoots I went to the slowtwitch stack and reach database. This is like the height and length og the bike

The kilo is in sizes s,M,L..The PR is in sizes 52, 54....

The kilo in a medium is between a 52 and 54 PR from a stack (height) perspective
The kilo in medium has less reach (length) than the 52

So it seems the Kilo and PR have different geometry so maybe the LBS is not so wrong.

Get a fit, find out what your proper stack and reach should be, see how it feels on a fit bike.
Then buy a bike that has your proper stack and reach.

2018-07-06 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I have PR Six and love the frame. Some of the components could use refinement (like top tube box zippers being stronger, better rear box mount) but the frame has treated me well. I have had Kuota and specialized before QR, so many different manufacturers and this frame has worked the best. The Kilo I would imagine would not be too far off.

For the price issue, check QR's site for clearance. You may be able to buy online and get a fit somewhere or get your shop to price match.

After 14 years of triathlons, being in aero is still not the most fun. It takes a few months when the weather gets better for outdoor riding to get my aero "back" back. I have a bad back to begin with, but fit is key.

If money was no object, a true retul fit could measure your parameters and suggest the best manufacturer, but it's not fool proof. Just saying.

If no tips help you get the price and frame size right, save your money. Last thing you want to do is buy a frame that does not work for you and try to force it.
2018-07-09 7:40 AM
in reply to: marcag

Originally posted by marcag

For hoots I went to the slowtwitch stack and reach database. This is like the height and length og the bike

The kilo is in sizes s,M,L..The PR is in sizes 52, 54....

The kilo in a medium is between a 52 and 54 PR from a stack (height) perspective
The kilo in medium has less reach (length) than the 52

So it seems the Kilo and PR have different geometry so maybe the LBS is not so wrong.

Get a fit, find out what your proper stack and reach should be, see how it feels on a fit bike.
Then buy a bike that has your proper stack and reach.

I can confirm that my 'research' showed that the Kilo was potentially optimum for me with shorter legs relative to torso.
However, my research was limited to "what people say on the interwebz"....which...you know....opinions are like....well...you know...and they all stink.

But, I bought a used Kilo. Love it. I also liked a Speed Concept a lot. I much preferred the price of the Kilo.

That all being said, I can't imagine that someone between 5' 6" and say 6' 2" that doesn't have body proportions way odder than my relatively mild disproportion....can't be fitted onto a properly sized bike with more than adequate comfort.

One of the things "they say" repeatedly about the Kilo is that it is forgiving and is generally accepted is that it might not be the most aero and aggressive bike out there........but that it is quite forgiving in terms of fitting and because of it's lack of aggressiveness....it tends to be amongst the more comfortable tri bikes out there. I've been fitted on my bike twice, by two different fitters using two different methods at two different shops. (Got a gift cert for the second one). Both came up with virtually identical results. Both were surprised by the range of bar height in relation to the seat. They both gave me "options" with the spacers. I've tried them. Can't really tell the difference....other than one of them just seems a bit more...."relaxed". And that could all be mental.

In the end whatever bike it is, you have to get on it. Get fitted and ride it.

FTR, my Kilo has a name. "Bobby". My road bike doesn't.
2018-07-13 9:56 AM

Thanks all! This has been very helpful in the process of trying to buy a bike.

2021-04-23 10:29 PM

Respect to the author since we have almost the same concern before. What I did is I went on Quintana's website and find sizing charts to compare the specs of both bikes and see the reviews about the specific bike. Other commentators have an awesome opinion.

(browsing old threads to get ideas)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Purchase a Quintana Roo Kilo or PR3 Series Bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New help with Tri-bike purchase ASAP!!!!!

Started by lisa34
Views: 2210 Posts: 17

2018-06-26 8:19 PM lisa34

WTC acquires CGI (Competitor Group - Rock and Roll Marathon Series)

Started by Swimbikeron
Views: 615 Posts: 5

2018-01-22 3:09 PM Swimbikeron

Road bike to Tri bike conversion

Started by Haych75
Views: 2151 Posts: 5

2017-08-02 3:02 AM Haych75

Bike Seat / bike in general question

Started by Sleepyluke
Views: 715 Posts: 1

2017-07-07 9:23 AM Sleepyluke

Purchasing a Treadmill - Advice Please Pages: 1 2