Atlanta Track Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My first Peachtree 10K! 60,000 other racers meant some logistical planning, so I was up before 5 a.m. and on the MARTA train shortly after 5:30 a.m. I parked at the northern-most end-of-line station (closest to my house) and there were 100s and 100s of runners waiting to get on already. Definitely a big-city, cool-factor feel - I did not get a seat and had to stand!

At the Buckhead exit, I followed the masses for about a mile and a half and saw a guy with a tri club top and asked if he was headed to the group photo - yes! We eventually ran into three other tri club people wearing tri club tops (I NEED ONE!) and one of them, of all people, was my riding buddy from Saturday, Michele! We actually didn't make it to the group photo because it was SO far away, but Michele and I chatted for awhile before getting into our corals. I was even able to make a porta potty stop, eat my English muffin and stretch.
Event warmup:

I thought it was pretty funny that as we were inching our way to the start line, they had big jumbo screens in the corals with a live feed of the leaders... and we saw the winner cross the finish line on the screen well before we even started the race! Ha!

Run
  • 1h 15m 46s
  • 6.33 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt so excited and emotional, like always, crossing that starting line. I'm so blessed and so happy to be out here running, especially such a cool bucket-list type of race like this one, the biggest 10K in the world!

It was not nearly as congested as I had mentally prepared for in the start. The way they had seeded people and spaced out the waves was perfect. The first half of this race is very much downhill, so I was feeling super great, but knew I would be paying for it eventually. I intentionally took in all I could during this part, looking up at the fancy highrise condos, high-fiving the tri club cheerleaders at their cheering spot at mile 2, getting emotional seeing an elderly man in his veterans hat waving a huge American flag. The patriotism was loud and proud and I loved all of it.

The weather was hot and humid, as expected. I am a very heavy sweater, so was soaked and flinging sweat very early on. My ponytail got so wet and icky in the first couple of miles that I had to pull over and stop to tie it up in a bun so it wouldn't cling to my back for the rest of the race.

Around mile 3 is where "cardiac hill" starts, and I'm not really sure how far the actual hill is measured because there was a big hill, then a flattening off, then another few big hilly sections till well after the 4-mile marker. After that, it was a little up and down, but more manageable. I did walk up portions of the hills, but not nearly as much as many of the people around me. A good goal for next year would be to run up all of the hills!

Even though I was carrying my own water, I was impressed with the frequency of the water stations, fire hoses and cooling misters. The crowds were amazing (lots of people drinking!), everyone was festive and happy and it was just such a great race.

I crossed the finish line really happy with my pace, considering I had walked about half of the hills, and just so happy to be out here.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Michele had told me that the tri club meets up at the family reuinuin area under the "T" banner, so I headed that way to see if anyone was still around. One of the club guys who lived a few blocks away was having a post-party, and we had talked about stoping by. I found Michele, her son, Nicole from Saturday and a handful of other tri club people and it was so nice to have friends to chat with. We all decided we were a bit too nasty and sticky for a party, so all headed to the train station together. Which was, not kidding, almost a 2-mile walk uphill.

Got home around 11 a.m., made lunch and took a 3-hour nap :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, Humidity and Hills.

Event comments:

The largest 10K in the world does not disappoint! An AMAZING race that nails all of the details. Highly recommend!

Last updated: 2018-03-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:15:46 | 06.33 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: From Buckhead to Piedmont Park
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2018-07-04 6:40 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: AJC Peachtree Road Race

2018-07-05 2:32 PM
in reply to: #5245466

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: AJC Peachtree Road Race

Good job, it sure looks like you had a good time.

2018-07-05 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Well done! I'm happy you were so happy with your race and it's nice that you are meeting people in your new tri club!

2018-07-06 1:36 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Great race and sounds like a lot of fun. Nice that ATL has such a large running community. I went to grad school down the road in Athens and used to commute over to ATL pretty regularly. Glad you are enjoying the city!
2018-07-07 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats on your day..Not much says 'part of Atlanta's fitness community' like a bunch of PRR Finishers shirts in the closet.
2018-07-13 9:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

60,000 people, wow!!  Glad to hear they knew what they were doing keeping it all organized and flowing properly.  Nice work, I'm glad you enjoyed the race, the atmosphere, and friends, too!  That's what it's all about.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » AJC Peachtree Road Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Motatapu Off Road Marathon

Started by Konabound
Views: 647 Posts: 1

2018-03-16 12:16 AM Konabound

Stockade-athon 15K Road Race

Started by triguy18
Views: 974 Posts: 1

2017-12-23 9:33 PM triguy18