Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-17 11:57 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-09-17 12:28 PM
in reply to: #543664

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Subject: RE: First Open Water Swim- Advice?

Adam P - 2006-09-17 11:57 AM 

- How can I get over the slightly unnerving claustrophobia from looking down into completely murky water?

Practice swimming in the pool with your eyes closed - only opening one eye when you breathe. This will also help you swim straighter. (Don't try this drill if you are sharing a lane.)

- Can anyone recommend any good goggles?

I like Tyr X-sight - they are comfortable and don't leak

(Similarly, how can I now stop my fiancee taking the mickey out of me about it?

I had to look that up at http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm.

Tell her to try it - then she'll stop teasing.

2006-09-17 1:30 PM
in reply to: #543664

Expert
Subject: RE: First Open Water Swim- Advice?
Q) How can I get over the slightly unnerving claustrophobia from looking down into completely murky water?
A) I always get a little bit of neurosis when realizing I'm swimming in the middle of dirty, open water. When this sets in, I simply think about nothing other than my technique. When I do that, I find that I forget about where I am and tend to swim better. I also like training in a diving pool (15-20 ft depth). That way, you can see how deep you are and realize that all you really are doing is skimming the top 2 feet of the water.

Q) How much difference does a neoprene wetsuit really make? Mine is a surfing wetsuit made out of foam and it seemed to aid my buoyancy quite well.
A) I'm no pro, but from what I've read, neoprene gives you better range of motion in your shoulders and hips, which allows you to use your more natural swim technique.

Q) Finally, how can I get used to weeds in the water? I came to quite a bad patch and it spooked me more than I thought it should have. (Similarly, how can I now stop my fiancee taking the mickey out of me about it?
A) If you find the answer to this, let me know! I've found that doing anything different in weeds will mess up my whole swim, so I don't change a thing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Open Water Swim- Advice? Rss Feed