Tri-Maine
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 17s
Overall Rank = 74/320
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 13/43
Pre-race routine:

Up shortly after 5am. Had a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee. Out the door by 5:40 and at the park shortly after 6. Got my transition area set up. After using the rest room , I went back to get my shoes to start my warm-up and an official told me I was in the wrong space. The area was set up so that there were about 6 or 7 bikes between each vertical bar and my number was the cut off for the section I was in except I misunderstood where the section started and placed it on the wrong side of the bar which meant I was only about 8inches from where I was supposed to be and the section I was asked to move into was already pretty crowded and one I was in, although technically the wrong section, was rather sparcely used. I took a deep breath and agreed to move my bike and the rest of my stuff into a very narrow space that a couple of other guys made for me.
Event warmup:

Slow run for about 7 minutes. The leg didn't give any hint that the running was aggrivating it, so I slowly increased my pace to about an 8minute and held that for about 3 minutes. Then walked about another minute. Changed into bike shoes and rode the bike out of the park approx 3miles, with a couple of hills. Rechecked the bike and back into transiton and got my wetsuit on. Since I was recovering from a major case of suit rash on the back of my neck from an OWS last week, I was rather liberal with the bodyglide, especially around my neck. I had then put my goggles on and let then hang around my neck. When I went into the water for a warm up and put my goggles on, I realized I couldn't see sh** through the thick film of body glide on my lenses and the grease wouldn't wipe off in the water!! I had to wade back to shore and find Rhonda and borrow her shirt to wipe as much of that stuff off as possible. It wasn't clear, but at least I could see somewhat!
Swim
  • 26m 14s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

As my ranking demonstrates, I still have a long way to go as far as improving my swim. I did feel much more comfortable on this swim than I did at the sprint I did last month. The wetsuit makes a huge difference. This time instead of being lost way behind my wave and pretty much getting overtaken by the next two waves, I seemed to be battling it out with the BOP of my wave the entire time. I got punched in the left side of my face at one point on the cheekbone just below my left eye. My goggles stayed on which was great and I was pretty impressed that the dude that hit me was able to apologize ("sorry!") and get a good breath which coordinated with my turn for a breath as well. No harm done. since I was in the pack the whole time, naivgation wasn't much of an issue. I just stayed with everybody else and that worked out well.
What would you do differently?:

I think I could probably push it a little harder. I was being overly conservative after my breathing difficulties at Wildbear last month.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Transition time definately needs to be fine tuned. I got changed and took 3 endurolytes and one Hammer Gel.

Practice more
Bike
  • 1h 09m 18s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.52 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was my strong leg for this race. There was on guy that I traded a lead with for pretty much the entire race, but I didn't feel as though it was pushing me too hard. Having the gatorade instead of my lame attempts at homemade sport drink definately improved my consumption and actually got almost all of the 48 oz I took with me down during the ride without any difficulty. Although I took the endurolyte caps at T1, I still suffered with a couple of leg cramps about 15 miles out, but I think that pushing the fluids helped with that some.

Not much. I will make a priority to get some aerobar clip-ons before next season and am considering a power tap as well as a heart rate monitor to gauge my exertion better.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

My T2 wasn't much better. I spent alot of time getting my running shoe laces tight and laced. I took a couple more endurolytes caps.

I need to get some speed laces for my running shoes to cut down on this transiton time.
Run
  • 48m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out with an 8 minute/mile pace which seemed to keep my legs happy. My breathing was ok, so although I hadn't done any running in over 2 weeks I didn't feel too fatigued. Around the 4th mile, the left leg started to spasm a little and I feared it was about to pull and I would have to walk the rest of the way, so I slowed the pace a little, pleaded with the leg, and focused on keeping more on my toes and less on my heels. That worked well and I was able pick it up a little at the end.

Try not to injure myself by over training two weeks prior to a race!
Post race
Warm down:

After massage walked around with Rhonda. Drank some water and then went to the Lobsterbake and feasted.!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Concern about my left leg.

Event comments:

Overall pretty happy with my first Oly. The swim was a big improvement for me and happy that my leg held out on the run although I wish I was able to have run it about 1min/mile faster.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:14 | 1640 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 183/320
Performance: Below average
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: counter clockwise triangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:35
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:09:18 | 24.85 miles | 21.52 mile/hr
Overall: 41/320
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 25 mile lollipop with alot of rolling hills. A couple of rather big hills but nothing that was real mean. The road conditions were great in some places with brand new pavement and rough in other places with cracks and small potholes you had to navigate around.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:48:10 | 06.21 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 93/320
Course: Another lollipop which starts and ends with some significant rolling hills out of and back into the park. The rest was pretty flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-17 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: The Lobsterman Triathlon

2006-09-17 2:31 PM
in reply to: #543702

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: The Lobsterman Triathlon

Great job on your first Oly! That was such a bummer about the bike rack placement, although it was nice that some of the other racers moved their transition areas a little in order to squeeze you in.

Nice ride, and great run to follow. I am glad your leg held up for you.

I hope you enjoyed the Lobsterfest afterwards - I hear it's a good time.

2006-09-17 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

Mike,

You had a great race for your first Oly. That bike split is screaming fast on that hilly course.

2006-09-17 4:30 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

nice race!  would you do this one again?  I've looked at it before but keep leaving it off my schedule for some reason.

congrats again 

2006-09-17 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Wow, you're fast!  Nice race.  Great way to end 2006 in the top 1/3 of your very competitive AG!
2006-09-17 9:13 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job on your first Oly!

Your times look FAST to me!!!

2006-09-18 5:35 PM
in reply to: #543763

User image

Expert
Portland
TriMom217 - 2006-09-17 5:30 PM

nice race!  would you do this one again?  I've looked at it before but keep leaving it off my schedule for some reason.

congrats again 

Thanks Ellen.  I am planning on doing this race again next year. It was a fun course,  and the police and volunteers do a great job keeping traffic controlled. I would recommend it.

2006-09-19 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Wow Mike - what a fast swim and great job overall! Good thing you're aging up into the next group for next year .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Lobsterman Triathlon Rss Feed