General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Aspiring Triathlete with a Pinched Nerve Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-09 11:55 AM

Subject: Aspiring Triathlete with a Pinched Nerve
Hello BT Community!

I am excited to find and join this group. I've got a 1.5 years until my 30th birthday and I'd like to complete a triathlon for the occasion. I'm relatively fit, though I am not a particularly strong biker, runner, or swimmer. I believe that I have time to develop in these three areas, but my main concern is a pinched nerve in my lower spine that acts up after a run or extended period of time swimming.

I think that, if I can strengthen the muscles in my lower back and legs, my running and swimming will get less painful with time. This is, however, a total guess.

Are there any members of the BT community that was able to overcome a chronic injury and complete their triathlete goals? Is there anyone I can consult with on a training plan given my situation? Is there a community in New Jersey (where I stay) that I can potentially join as I train?

Any other ideas / thoughts / recommendations as I begin this journey?

Thanks!

Edited by TristWithDestiny 2018-07-09 11:59 AM

2018-08-22 8:52 AM
in reply to: #5246030

Subject: RE: Aspiring Triathlete with a Pinched Nerve
Hey Tristwithdestiny, I too am getting back into triathlon after a 7 year hiatus. Work and bilateral knee injuries took me away from it, my surgeon telling me running days should be over if I didn’t want knee replacements soon. I finished Lake Placid IM in ‘05 and ‘11 and want to do it again, I figure if I’m going to replace the knees any way I might as well have fun getting there if not pain. Also have nerve issues in my low spine with four bulging disks, ugh! Getting older sucks sometimes. Any way I’m taking training slow, stretching a lot and taking my Advil. Hope your journey is a good one, see you out there.
John
2018-08-23 11:27 AM
in reply to: TristWithDestiny

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Aspiring Triathlete with a Pinched Nerve
Hi there:

Obviously, you're first step is to make sure that you're consulting with your doctor. There is no advice you can get here on BT that can be used as a substitute.

That said, there are plenty of weekend warrior triathletes working through their own personal challenges. So, just know you'll have plenty of company. I see people at every race that are successful taking on their own personal challenges and beating them. Don't sell yourself short!

I've got fused C2/C3 vertebrae in my neck. It makes the bike ride just brutal. Once I'm down on the aerobars the head up position just kills my neck. So, I race with 800 mg of Ibuprophen so I can just survive the the bike. If that wasn't enough, I crashed at the Boise HIM and broke my shoulder, collar bone and 7 ribs. That set me back, but I'm working through it, still racing, still having fun with the challenge of triathlon.

Training does amazing things and the ability of the body to change as a result of stress adaptation is truly incredible.

Best of luck in your triathlon journey.

Steve
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Aspiring Triathlete with a Pinched Nerve Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Thrower Turned Triathlete

Started by cinfurna
Views: 1045 Posts: 7

2018-03-13 12:50 AM Colinz999

Marathoner Turning Triathlete!

Started by runningroutine
Views: 694 Posts: 4

2018-02-24 4:07 PM lutzman

Hoosier Triathlete

Started by hbourne
Views: 531 Posts: 3

2018-01-24 10:35 AM k9car363

Couch potato/Nurse to triathlete in the working!

Started by gennarkis
Views: 772 Posts: 2

2017-07-16 4:11 PM triosaurus

From obese to triathlete

Started by Diablosi05
Views: 2201 Posts: 5

2017-09-05 2:14 PM jhaack39