Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2020-03-09 1:47 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Garden
Ours have taken care of the bugs. There used to be a scorpion hiding under every rock on my property. Not any more. Ours free range all day and I put a timer door on their coop. They get out around 0830 and back in by 1845. We have foxes, hawks, coyotes, raccoons and all kinds of critters that are supposed to kill chickens. So far we haven't lost any.

2020-03-09 1:58 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

Radish seeds going in the ground Saturday.

2020-03-09 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

Ours have taken care of the bugs. There used to be a scorpion hiding under every rock on my property. Not any more. Ours free range all day and I put a timer door on their coop. They get out around 0830 and back in by 1845. We have foxes, hawks, coyotes, raccoons and all kinds of critters that are supposed to kill chickens. So far we haven't lost any.

Do you hens lay in the coop? I’ve read that free range hens will lay eggs all over the place? So far they have only laid eggs in the coop....as far as I know. We have vermin here too but our 6 acres is fenced with 2”x4” wire horse fence. Not vermin proof as we have several pipe gates they could some through. Now that we are free ranging I expect to cut down feed cost as they live off the land. So far they have stayed with 100’ or so of the coop but suspect they will explore further out as they get more comfortable. I’m learning on the fly so any tips are appreciated.
2020-03-09 3:10 PM

User image

Pro

"bird flu cases reported in 2 poultry farms in Kerala"

I'm just trying to help you guys out.  I have no idea where or what Kerala is, and I don't care.  But if your chickens free range themselves over there you could have some trouble. 

You're welcome.

2020-03-09 3:29 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

"bird flu cases reported in 2 poultry farms in Kerala"

I'm just trying to help you guys out.  I have no idea where or what Kerala is, and I don't care.  But if your chickens free range themselves over there you could have some trouble. 

You're welcome.

I will let Lucy (the redheaded chicken) know. She seems to be at the top of the pecking order. Hopefully she will take that under advisement else she’ll have some ‘splaining to do’.

War story time

When I was a kid I asked my dad if we could go crawfishing. He said sure and told me to ‘go kill that old mean rooster and we could use it for bait for our nets’. So I caught it and wrung his neck...his head came off. No one told me to tie their feet first. Damn rooter ran all over the place with no head spraying blood everywhere. So disgusting. Made good crawfish bait though.
2020-03-10 6:32 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by mdg2003

Do you hens lay in the coop? I’ve read that free range hens will lay eggs all over the place? So far they have only laid eggs in the coop....as far as I know. We have vermin here too but our 6 acres is fenced with 2”x4” wire horse fence. Not vermin proof as we have several pipe gates they could some through. Now that we are free ranging I expect to cut down feed cost as they live off the land. So far they have stayed with 100’ or so of the coop but suspect they will explore further out as they get more comfortable. I’m learning on the fly so any tips are appreciated.

For the most part, ours lay in their coop. A couple of them were laying in the hay bin for a while, but they stopped on their own. If they ever stop laying in the coop, put the eggs you find in the coop; it’s supposed to train them where to lay.

Ours roam quite a ways now. They stay on our property most times, but they will explore the neighbor’s empty field south of us. Our neighbor to the north also as a small flock. They lost several of theirs to their golden retrievers. Our birds seem to know that and never try to cross that fence line. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them stray more than 300 yards from the house in either direction. We have a rooster and he will actually go get them and herd them closer if he thinks they are straying too far from home. He’s pretty bada** and protective of his harem. If a large bird starts to circle overhead, he will bump them to safety under a shrub in our back yard. You might consider getting one.

Dried meal worms. Get them a bag from Amazon, wife buys Picky Neb brand, as a treat. Ours love them!

2020-03-23 12:46 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm glad to see the garden thread active again!  I'm excited about this year especially.  5 different varieties of potatoes, heirloom tomatoes (4 varieties), will have at least 2 other varieties of 'maters, eggplants, cukes, multiple varieties of peppers, squash.  Brand new for this year will be 6 blueberry bushes, 2 early, 2 mid, and 2 late to ensure a summer of berries!  Also new for this year will be a coldframe in which to grow microgreens, salad lettuce, and to start plants next year.

I will also continue to expand my butterfly/pollinator area.

2020-03-23 12:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

I've long been wishing I could get a few chickens.  I think I'm allowed 3 per town zoning guidelines.  How messy is the poop, etc.  of 3 chickens?  How hard are they to maintain/keep?

Edit:  I don't see any quantity limitations in the zoning ordinances, all they care about is distance of pens from roads/dwellings, height of pen floors from the ground, and how often they get cleaned.

Edited by melbo55 2020-03-23 12:56 PM
2020-03-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by melbo55

I've long been wishing I could get a few chickens.  I think I'm allowed 3 per town zoning guidelines.  How messy is the poop, etc.  of 3 chickens?  How hard are they to maintain/keep?

Edit:  I don't see any quantity limitations in the zoning ordinances, all they care about is distance of pens from roads/dwellings, height of pen floors from the ground, and how often they get cleaned.

Most of their poops are pretty solid, don't smell, and are easy to pick up in the yard with a dog pooper scooper. But about every 10th poop is something else, runny and smells awful. Inside the coop, you just need to rake it all out once or twice a week and occasionally mix in some fresh bedding. You can throw a board under their roost to catch the poop.  

They're super easy to keep. A bucket of feed and clean water is all they need. They can eat a lot of your kitchen scraps, and they put themselves to bed every night when the sun is setting. Biggest trouble I ever had was keeping predators out of the coop. It needs to be open enough for to allow for some ventilation, and raccoons seem to find any little gap you don't close up tight with chicken wire. 

They spend a lot of the day scratching the ground looking for insects. They can tear up a yard a little bit if they don't have a big area to spread out in, but you'll never have ants again.  

2020-04-25 6:43 AM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Champion
Alabama
Guess what I had for dinner last night.

Attachments
----------------
D37D17DE-5278-4539-B719-3B52C12114EF.jpeg (3301KB - 21 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Garden Rss Feed  

of 4