General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Road to Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-11 2:49 AM

Subject: Road to Ironman
Hello Everyone

I am an American in Switzerland and have been a competitive runner since youth. In 2016 I started up with my first sprint triathlon. I have done three sprints, and one 70.3. I have my next 70.3 in Austria Zell am See on August 26th, 2018. Just signed up for Ironman France Nice in July 2019. I don't think it has really sunk in yet.

Anyone else doing this race next year?

Looking forward to meeting people and trading tips!
K

2018-07-11 12:26 PM
in reply to: Passion4

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Road to Ironman

Welcome to the sport!  

Not currently racing (ANYTHING) but trying to get back to a fitness based lifestyle after several years off.  I have done 3 140.6 races, so feel free to ask away.  

2018-07-12 12:49 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Hi McFuzz

Thank you for your reply and your willingness to answer my questions

Which full triathlon distance races have you done? Which have been your favorite?

A full distance has been a goal of mine for a long time.

Ironman France is quite hilly and currently I have a road bike, but would like to sometime upgrade to a triathlon bike.

Does it make sense to have a triathlon bike in a hilly race?

thanks
2018-07-12 11:08 AM
in reply to: Passionforpotential

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Passionforpotential Hi McFuzz Thank you for your reply and your willingness to answer my questions Which full triathlon distance races have you done? Which have been your favorite? A full distance has been a goal of mine for a long time. Ironman France is quite hilly and currently I have a road bike, but would like to sometime upgrade to a triathlon bike. Does it make sense to have a triathlon bike in a hilly race? thanks

You can see my race log here on BT and read my race reports.  

IM Coeur D'Alene 2009
Vineman (Now IM Santa Rosa) 2011
Beach2Battleship (Now IM North Carolina) 2014

Each has been different and unique so no "favorite."  

Whether a tri-bike makes sense or not depends a lot on you as well as the course.  A tri-bike makes sense if you can ride in an aero position a lot.  A flat course, yes, particularly if there is high probability of wind.  Hilly being mostly rollers?  Probably.  Hilly being long climbs (where you're on the bull-bars) and long descents (where aero may be twitchy)?  Probably not.  

Of course there's also the cost of "upgrading" to a tri-bike.  If a $2000 tri-bike cuts 6 minutes off your bike split, will that be important to you?  I got my tri-bike used for $500 and spent another $100 for "race wheels."  (Actually, the wheels that came with it are better than what I bought, but I wanted lower gearing going into IMCdA and it was as cheap to buy those wheels and a cassette than get a freewheel with the gearing I thought I wanted.)  If you like your road bike, try some clip-on aerobars (I prefer the Century style which form a loop) and an aero helmet and put the savings towards coaching.  

My HIM bike split in 2006 was 20mph on an old road bike with clip-on aero bars.  Old being an '80's Raleigh with downtube shifters and a 6-speed cluster. My IM bike splits have been 17-18 mph on a slightly newer ('94?) Klein Aeolus.  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Road to Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman to couch last 3 years

Started by Petethemod 1
Views: 497 Posts: 2

2018-07-17 10:34 AM jhaack39

Return to Ironman After 18 Years

Started by trigeek1969
Views: 520 Posts: 2

2017-11-01 9:29 PM alicefoeller