Rev3
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 42s
Overall Rank = 132/159
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 19/28
Pre-race routine:

5 hours before go: Naked juice and 2 uncrustables. 3 hours before go: up for good, take a shower, put on race numbers, last minutes gear check, sunscreen, wake up J, and out the door. 2 hours before: bottle of Skratch and pouch of chews. Set up transition area, hang out with friends, the usual shenanigans. VFuel gel with water about 30 minutes before go
Event warmup:

I walked over to swim exit to see how the ground surface was for the run into transition. It was newly paved, so I decided against leaving any shoes there. About a quarter mile walk, all told.
Swim
  • 24m 37s
  • 965 meters
  • 02m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

Definitely one of the choppiest swims I've done to date. Sighting was pretty challenging, as there was just a stand of trees ahead, and even then with the waves you couldn't see them. I just tried to stay calm and carry on.
Made the turn at the buoy and things calmed considerably. The was a pretty strong current that almost took me past swim exit, but I caught it and corrected in time. Swam until I hit the boat ramp with my hand, and stood up in about shin deep water....not bad!
What would you do differently?:

I feel like I can always push a bit harder on the swim. I think I tend to ride with my head a bit high, especially when sighting is difficult. I've barely gotten to the pool once a week this year.
Transition 1
  • 05m 46s
Comments:

This included a 1/4 mile walk/jog from swim exit to transition. Mostly on paved road, which I jogged, and grass, which I walked due to some uneven ground surface.
Got my shoes, helmet, sunglasses, and hydration pack on. Skipped the gloves since it was supposed to be only 13.1 miles on the bike (ha!) Walked out to the mount line, and got clipped in on maybe the third try.

I get performance anxiety about clipping in, so I should just keep practicing.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 37s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 14.43 mile/hr
Comments:

So I hit mile 6 of this course and was on the lookout for the turnaround. It didn't show up until after mile 7...exact same point as last year! 15.3 mile course again, despite the maps saying otherwise. That's irritating.
On the bright side, we got to go out and back on the street, whereas last year we came back on the multiuse trail, and that was bumpy.
I got passed a bunch, as usual. But...with my hydration pack, I took on fluid four times! Big win! I probably could have pushed a little harder, but I always say that. I'm 20 pounds heavier this year, and was roughly 5 minutes slower compared to last year. Could that be weight related? I was hoping to have a faster overall speed, since I've been riding with the team on the road a lot more this summer, and feeling more confident with my handling. My crotch started complaining at the turnaround, as it usually does on flat courses. The lack of movement starts to feel achy. I wasn't as strong as I would like up the last hill, but it wasn't a big heart pounding climb or anything.

I think rather than spinning in the little ring (on a flat....really?) I could have spent more time in the big ring. I always have a tough run no matter what, so wouldn't it have been better to put a bit more effort in on the bike? Racing strategy never gets any easier.
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Took for ever to get my socks on! My calves were feeling sore so I couldn't go with my Vivobarefoots, and I can't wear my Brooks without socks. Such is life.

There's always room for more hustle.
Run
  • 41m 46s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I was trotting up the bridge, gave up and walked the rest of the way. Ran back down, but then walked again at mile one. There was never a time when I felt like I was really pushing. My calves felt like they wanted to burst....but we're all hurting at the point, aren't we? Its a mental issue, the inability to run. It really was a perfect day, not too hot, it would have been great to be able to run the whole thing. My body didn't let me down.

Run! Figure out why I keep getting in my own way.
Post race
Warm down:

Upon stopping my right hand immediately went numb. The feeling came back after about 10 minutes. I didn't feel super dizzy or weak. J gave me a salt tab immediately, and then I sucked down a bottle of Skratch Wellness over the next 20 minutes or so. I chatted with my friends who were there cheering, and despite standing still, never felt like I was going to pass out. Winning!
Is that correlated with the fact that I didn't push very hard? Probably. Maybe redlining during races is just a trigger that I need to avoid.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My cardio is crap. No two ways about it. I need to commit to doing Zone 2 training, and not give up halfway like I always have before. Losing a few pounds would probably make both the bike and run easier. Although seriously....just reading through this, clearly my mental game is where I need to focus. Stronger rider, stronger head game.

Event comments:

Rev3 puts on a good show, and I always look forward to Williamsburg. This is my second year doing the spring, and I certainly see myself coming back next year for either the sprint or one of the other distances.
I did have an issue where I registered with my maiden name, and then emailed and asked them to change it to my married name. They said they did. I saw the bib list with my maiden name, asked them again to change it, they said they did. Didn't happen. Not a huge deal, and honestly it is my first experience that was less than positive with Rev3.
I like the time trial start for a less congested swim. The swag is great. Can't wait to go back.

Last updated: 2018-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:37 | 965 meters | 02m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/28
Overall: 28/159
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point. Current assisted. Down river, then turn right into the creek, run up the boat ramp, and you're done.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:03:37 | 15.3 miles | 14.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/28
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. Mostly flat with one bridge that you hit right at the beginning and end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:41:46 | 03.1 miles | 13m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/28
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, including the same bridge as the bike course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2018-07-12 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: Rev3 Williamsburg - Sprint

2018-07-13 9:32 AM
in reply to: #5246249

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Rev3 Williamsburg - Sprint

Nice job, I'm glad the race went well for you overall.  And yes, Rev3 is a great organization with focus on the athlete and athlete experience!

2018-07-24 11:20 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Nice work - congrats! 

2018-07-31 9:02 AM
in reply to: #5246249

User image

Master
Orlando

Great job!  The 2 times i've raced a REV3 race they were great. I'm sorry they don't have races in Florida anymore .

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Williamsburg - Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic

Started by atuhro
Views: 761 Posts: 2

2018-07-13 1:24 PM Atlantia

Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Course

Started by wrt351
Views: 732 Posts: 1

2017-09-26 8:24 AM wrt351