Midwest Sports Events
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 57s
Overall Rank = 175/454
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 26/38
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race started with registering the day before. Because I have done 8 races with this group this season, they offered to put me in the 1st wave (with the elites). because I had to be somewhere shortly after race finish, I said yes. I got to see how the other 1/2 lives. This race was 10 miniutes from my house, in the town I grew up in. I woke up at 6, had three bagels and headed over to the course. I arrived about 40 minutes before race start. I ended up being right next to Heather Haviland. Heather is probably the top female triathlete in the state. This was weird being in this rack with all of these really fast people. My trek 1000 looked like a joke next to all their beautiful bikes, but that was ok.
Event warmup:

about 10 minutes of light jogging
Run
  • 14m 36s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to push myself in this race and starting with the elites was going to allow me to do that. This was the fastest I have ever run in a race or in training. My 1st mile split was actually about 6:50. When I got back into transition, there were still about 5-6 bikes in my rack. WOW. that is cool. (race results have this as a 7:18 pace)
What would you do differently?:

not much. I was very happy with this split.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Being in the first rack I was very close to the bike exit, but far away from the run in. This is about as fast as I am going to get until I learn to get in my shoes on the bike.

not much. learn how to get into my shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 30s
  • 20 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

first half was primarily into a pretty good headwind. the last five miles were all basically downhill to some degree and with a nice tailwind. I was pretty familiar with this course because it was near where I grew up. In fact it actually went past my parent's home. My mom actually sat in a lwn chair and cheered me when I went past. My parents have never seen me race, so this was something (dad was golfing). Like the run, I decided to really push this and, considering the hills and headwinds for the first 8 miles, I was pleased. Because of where I started a barley passed anyone. This was strange, I just kept telling myself not to get frustrated and to keep on pushing. I wasn't passed that much and if it was it was someone with a nice tri bike, or areo bars or really muscular legs or... my speed was about 21 when I came into transition and I almost didn't stop in time and hit the curb.

train lots in the off season, get areo bars or one of the very nifty tri bikes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

when I got back into transition, Heather Haviland's bike was in my spot. (I know this because her custom paint job has her name painted on it). Luckily I was near the end of the rack and just put my bike there. Got my shoes on and went

not have the top female triathlete in the state put her bike in my spot.
Run
  • 16m 12s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really unhappy with this. In fact I was surprised that my time wasn't much slower. started ok, legs a little heavy, bu not too bad. About a 1/4 mile in, I got a stitch in my side that pretty much stayed with me the entire run. I slowed down and kind of felt sorry for myself for the next mile. Then some teenager was who was doing a relay came flying by yelling and shouting and said to me" come on and pick it up we are getting close to the finish!" That lit a fire under me for some reason and I pushed hard the last 3/4 of mile ( this probably salvaged my time a little)

not get a stitch. I think pushing it hard on the segments, did not leave as much for this leg, but I don't look at that as a bad thing.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a little and ate some bagels. I had to get out of there quick as I had another engagement. Felt bad leaving while otheres were still racing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough speed work, genetics, not having a cool tri bike.

Event comments:

It may sound strange, but this was the first race I really 'raced.' Most other races I just stayed in my comfort zone. This one I went outside my comfort zone and pushed my limits and it felt great. This the best I have ranked among the field, but, more importantly, I am pleased as to how I ranked against myself I have much work to do in the off season, but I am pleased with were I have come this season.

Last updated: 2006-09-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:36 | 02 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/38
Overall: 167/454
Performance: Good
Course: flat course on residential streets and paved bike path
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:04:30 | 20 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/38
Overall: 173/454
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: rectangle with some rolling hills some bigger than others
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:16:12 | 02 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/38
Overall: 188/454
Performance: Below average
Course: same as first 2miles
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-17 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Dousman Duathlon

2006-09-17 6:09 PM
in reply to: #543795

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Dousman Duathlon
Nice Race!!!
I so wanted to do this today- next year.

Tammy
2006-09-17 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

Great race...Way to push yourself.

This gives you permission to buy the new tri bike you have your eye on

2006-09-17 8:46 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Way to press the pace.  I am finding it takes lots of practice to find just how far one can push it and ya only find out by experimenting.  Nice race!
2006-09-17 8:46 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Doh! Double post!

Edited by jszat 2006-09-17 8:47 PM
2006-09-18 9:22 AM

User image

Expert

Awesome job!  Way to push the limits with this race!

-Rob 

2006-09-18 12:24 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Sometimes you need a different environment to leave your comfort zone.  Great job doing just that!  It was windy out there, so I'm sure that was something to contend with!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dousman Duathlon Rss Feed