General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Value of an aero bike if you're not aero. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-13 1:25 PM

User image

DC
Subject: Value of an aero bike if you're not aero.
Interesting how it's well-accepted that the rider contributes to some 80/85% of drag but it's also well-accepted that aero bikes are "just" faster. Even if the rider's not in a tucked-in position? I know I'm significantly faster on my tri bike but that's because I've been professionally fitted, i.e., I'm aero unlike on my roadie. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something about these non-tri aero bikes?

2018-07-13 3:02 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Value of an aero bike if you're not aero.

Well, if your road position is as dialed as your tri position (for road riding), then it isn't going to change regardless of the bike you're on. If the bike itself produces less drag, then that's less drag of the bike/rider system.

2018-07-13 3:39 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

DC
Originally posted by briderdt

Well, if your road position is as dialed as your tri position (for road riding), then it isn't going to change regardless of the bike you're on. If the bike itself produces less drag, then that's less drag of the bike/rider system.

So it will help reduce 15% of the drag, i.e., the bike. I think.

There seems to be a premium price on the aero bikes. Just thinking out loud as to whether it's worth it if I'm not going to have my back parallel to the ground.
2018-07-13 4:36 PM
in reply to: #5246305

User image

Franklin, TN
All things being equal you're going to be faster on an aero road bike versus a regular road bike. There's still a lot of upper body drag if you're on the hoods but the aeroness of the frame allows you to go faster.
A properly fitted triathlon bike is faster than either of the 2 road bike options since the drag from your upper body is minimized.
2018-07-16 9:10 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

DC
Originally posted by JoelO

All things being equal you're going to be faster on an aero road bike versus a regular road bike. There's still a lot of upper body drag if you're on the hoods but the aeroness of the frame allows you to go faster.
A properly fitted triathlon bike is faster than either of the 2 road bike options since the drag from your upper body is minimized.

Tri bike advantage is second to none... for sure. I just wonder how much faster an aero bike gets you. With a tri, I see some 3/4 MPH faster (don't have power meter). Can't imagine gains anywhere near that with a roadie position.
2018-07-16 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by Porfirio

Originally posted by briderdt

So it will help reduce 15% of the drag, i.e., the bike. I think.

There seems to be a premium price on the aero bikes. Just thinking out loud as to whether it's worth it if I'm not going to have my back parallel to the ground.

Agreed; I somewhat believe it's a marketing thing rather than a stunning breakthrough in design. Since maximum aero should always be the design goal, it's probably just a matter of time before all road bikes are shaped for aero rather than having a niche frame at premium price..

2018-07-16 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Frame geometry can vary drastically from bike to bike. Some might stretch riders out more, some frames allow the rear wheel to be in more allowing gains... it all depends.

Plus, just because a bike goes through a wind tunnel and shaves off 0.05% off a competitor, it's more aero! Magic.

So when someone says "more aero", it may technically be accurate but probably more a marketing gimmick than true advances in performance.
2018-07-20 8:32 AM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

See, I am not aero. I had taken some time away from Tri and now and working my way back. I was never truly comfortable on a bike and a tri bike even less, but I did get a tri bike years ago. It is the only bike I got. Now I am trying to get back and I am have tons of trouble getting used to riding on the bars and it is not going well. I think I will trade my tri bike in for a road bike. I think you need to be able to use the Tri bike correctly to get the full benefit. Being comfortable on a road bike would be faster than just being on a tri bike
2018-07-21 8:18 AM
in reply to: muebele

User image

muebele,

What if you bought a new stem and some roadie (drop) handlebars and had them put on your tri bike? I guess you'd need some new brake/shifter handles as well, but I would think it would be lots cheaper than trading in your bike for a new one. And then when you decide you want to go back, you can just slap the original bars et al back onto the bike.

J White
2018-07-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: Jwse30

User image

DC
Originally posted by Jwse30

muebele,

What if you bought a new stem and some roadie (drop) handlebars and had them put on your tri bike? I guess you'd need some new brake/shifter handles as well, but I would think it would be lots cheaper than trading in your bike for a new one. And then when you decide you want to go back, you can just slap the original bars et al back onto the bike.

J White

But doesn't "comfort" from a well-fitted tri bike come from training?
2018-07-25 9:25 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by Porfirio

But doesn't "comfort" from a well-fitted tri bike come from training?

If you're reasonably fit, no. Difference between a poor fit and a good fit is that a good fit will give you skeletal support, not relying on muscular. In theory, you could have a very aero fit that is still a poor fit.

2018-07-25 9:29 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
If you're talking about sitting up on a tri bike, then you have no value of a tri bike. The benefit is the ability to be fitted in a position that is both aero and gives you skeletal support (not muscular). If you're reasonably fit, then you should be able to hold the aero position for the vast majority of your race distance.

A bike fit is MUCH more than just how aero you can be. It needs to take core strength, flexibility, previous/current injuries/issues, race distance and race terrain in consideration; all to make a fit that work for YOU for the types of racing you do. This is why a fit for a sprint distance tend to be quite a bit more aggressive than an IM fit.
2018-07-25 9:44 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

There's only a small benefit from an aero road bike vs. a more traditional shape. Many wind tunnel studies through the years show that an aero frame looks cool, but doesn't help much.  Round tube frames don't contribute a lot of drag in the first place.  More aero wheels do help, as do cleaner front ends, but not that much.  Lighter helps too, and aero road bikes are frequently at the lighter end of the spectrum.

Aero position on a tri bike is far better, since it's your body that obviously is by far the greatest source of drag.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Value of an aero bike if you're not aero. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aero helmet fit

Started by DaniD
Views: 627 Posts: 3

2018-04-19 4:03 PM TXTriRook

Shoulder Incredibly Sore (maybe from Aero position)

Started by dupdup
Views: 1067 Posts: 7

2018-04-12 10:14 AM FlexibleAthlete

These Aero bars ok?

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 853 Posts: 11

2018-03-13 4:26 PM reecealan

Triathlete - FTP test, aero, or no

Started by Tmontgomery
Views: 1540 Posts: 5

2018-01-14 6:07 AM marcag

Clip-On Aero's...what are you using?