Danskin
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 20s
Overall Rank = 935/1280
Age Group = Mixed
Age Group Rank = 170/294
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. Stomach not happy with the whole concept of eating, took a few sips of water and made a PB&J for the ride. Nibbled on the way. Got coffee, couldn't drink much of that either.
Event warmup:

Just the walk from the car to the race, finished the PB&J, found my co-workers, set up my transition area, got in line for the potties :) Ok, so I did some stretches too. Saw some BT gals, swatted lots of mosquitos!!
Swim
  • 13m 49s
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was so tight, there was never much room for anyone to spread out. Right from the beginning, I was either getting kicked/elbowed or doing some kicking/elbowing. A few times I had to chuckle, hoping the gal in front of me wouldn't suddenly switch from freestyle to breastroke, or I would have ended all up in her "space."

Caught myself getting sloppy with form a few times, mostly not bringing my arms all the way back to my hips before bringing them up out of the water, will have to work on that. I think I was just all excited (and trying to avoid collisions!)
What would you do differently?:

Better form, find my own space, don't sight as often (conditions were pretty harmless and I could have cut some time if I didn't feel the need to gopher as often)
Transition 1
  • 05m 10s
Comments:

Trucked it as much as I could from the swim to the transition area, felt good about that, saw Margaret (who was doing the run leg of a relay and had some time to kill) and gave her a hi-5. Saw Kathy at our rack, was nice to see I wasn't the last woman out of the water, she took off and I debated my long-sleeved shirt. That and I put on my gloves because I was pretty sure I'd fall off the bike trying to put them on. Ugh, I think that's what cost me the most time.

Got out and got stuck not passing someone who was slow to start (no pass zone for the first 1/4 mile) but at least I got to ham for some friends and fam at the sidelines as I tried to get the darn Detour bar open with my teeth!!

Don't wait until after the swim to decide on apparel, pick it before and just suck it up! Either put on gloves on the bike or just skip them all together.
Bike
  • 43m 10s
  • 11 miles
  • 15.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Such a nice ride, very scenic. The tailwind going out was sweet, but coming back was certainly payback. Wish it was the other way around! I really need a road bike, I think hauling the hybrid around slows me up so much. Heard my name get yelled at about mile 4 but don't know who it was. Played leap-frog with some other hybrids, we're all in the same "boat" - but really didn't get to do too much passing. Saw Toni going out at my mile 8 or so, was really glad to see her out there because the race was her first OWS and I was worried for her. Yay us!

I think I could handle putting gloves on while riding, I was just concerned that I would be trying to do too much during the bike (gloves, food, drink) that I would lose even more time from my already-disadvantaged ride. Especially when it's something I like so much, I didn't want to go back and see a slow ride because I was all fumbling with "stuff" instead of *riding*!
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Saw Trainer Freddie on the way in to T2 - he yelled to me "Go Christine!! All that stands between you becoming a triathlete is 5K!" That was so awesome to hear!!

Darn "no-pass" strikes again, coming into the mat I had to slow down alot for a pokey in front of me, and I ended up hopping off ASAP and ran the bike around her into T2. Switched from helmet to visor, took another swig of water (didn't need to bother, there was a water station right outside the transition area, wish I had known) and fumbled with my Sport Beans a bit. Another stupid last-minute thing wherein I decided I didn't want to take them with me.

Take the beans on the run, get the water. Just get out of there already! :)
Run
  • 36m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Uuuugh, I'm soooo slow. I hadn't wanted to do any walking, but I don't feel bad that I did, because I *always* do so why would I think this would be any different!! Heh.

I actually felt pretty good about my "jog" - did less walking than I've done before in training, and my time was almost exactly the same as from the 5K that I did over month ago - so if I can do it after 2 sports in the same time as it took me cold, I must be improving, right? (Just say "Right, Christine!")

Saw Jennifer at about a half-mile into my run, and then saw Margaret just before the first mile mark. Talked with a gal who caught up to me on the run who said she just couldn't keep up with me on the bike, so that was a booster. Got some compliments on my shoulder tatoo also. Can't wait to get the one on my arm!!

I think I swigged too much water at the 1 mile station, because I felt all floaty on the inside until the last half mile and it wasn't nice.

Anyway, I came around the corner for the last 1/3 mile or so and just hauled. It was a bit longer of a stretch than I had thought when I thought to myself "uh oh, spectators, yelling, finish line, no stopping now!!" but I didn't... it was a good strong finish for me and I AM HAPPY!!

I'm temped to say all sorts of things like "run faster" and "no walking" but you know what? I felt good doing it, I didn't feel like I was on the course too long, it wasn't horribly painful, and I really did give it a good go. So - NOTHING. (The better and the faster will come with time, but today was good enough for today!)
Post race
Warm down:

Stumbled around feeling all silly, drank my water. Found Kathy and Kathleen and Hubby Dave, took some pictures. He got an awesome shot of me coming out of the swim that will be inspiration for all future athletic undertakings!! Saw Alison and Brenda (Hi gals!!) but that was it for BT-er's post-race. Found Trainer Freddie and Rachel, gave them a hug for jockstrapping, it was so good to have them there! Found Hubby and Kidlet and then Nick, and Toni's mom, and we did the whole re-group process. And it was allll good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides my lack of training and newbie-ness, nothing really!

Event comments:

Getting out of the parking lot was a bear, and I SAW people with bananas after the race but didn't really end up in the right directon for post-race food or anything. Other than that, the race was really well done and I can't wait to improve my times next year!!

Last updated: 2006-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:49 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/294
Overall: 0/1280
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: out, small leg, and back. Course got shortened thanks to the Coast Guard boats, I'm still not sure what the length was
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:10 | 11 miles | 15.29 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: An out and back to the front booths
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:54 | 03.1 miles | 11m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: An out-and back with a little "dog leg" to get the mileage in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-17 5:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon

2006-09-17 7:50 PM
in reply to: #543798

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon
You did great Christine. Congratulations on your first tri. That you ran the whole 5k is awesome and a true testament to your fitness. If and when you decide to get a road bike you will be dangerous!!

Nice work!!
2006-09-18 1:15 PM
in reply to: #543798

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon
Woohoo, great job. It was so nice to get to meet you. Hopefully we will get to see each other again at another race:-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Rss Feed