Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-07-14 10:36 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Swimming Isn't Hard

It’s technical.  If you make mistakes, those mistakes compound upon themselves and suddenly, swimming is a tremendous challenge.

Swimming was my first athletic language.  I started when I was eleven and swam competitively through college.  I hung up my competitive Speedo shortly after the U.S. Olympic fiasco in 1980 and began eying this crazy new sport called Triathlon.  In 1982, after Julie Moss made her epic crawl across the finish line, participation in the sport exploded.  In the intervening 36-years, I've watched as athletes have repeated the same swimming mistakes.

You can improve your swimming by avoiding those same mistakes.  In no particular order, the biggest mistakes I see age-group triathletes make surrounding their swimming –

Discounting the Importance of the Swim – There is rarely a week goes by I don’t hear a triathlete say, “The swim is only 15% of my race so I’m only going to spend 15% of my training time swimming.”  The fallacy of that argument becomes clear when you consider the swim impacts the swim/bike/run.  The bike impacts the bike/run, while the run impacts only the run.  It’s true you can’t win a triathlon in the water; however, you can sabotage your entire day there.  The goal of a triathlon swim is to remain aerobic in the water.  Unless you have “meters-in-the-bank” from a competitive swimming career, you aren’t going to be able to remain aerobic in the water devoting only 10-15% of your training time to swimming.  I encourage the athlete’s I work with to build their typical main set to 1.5-2.0 times the race distance, a minimum of three times per week.  If you’re training for an Olympic triathlon, that would work out to 2,250-3,000 meters, three times a week.

Trying to “Do it Yourself” – There is simply no replacement for eyes on deck as you learn to swim properly.  Yes, there are countless resources available on-line – YouTube videos, self-help books, expertly crafted instructional packages – none of those will replace eyes on deck in the form of a qualified coach/instructor.  I’m sure right about now there is someone thinking, “Well, I completed “XYZ” swim training and now I can do triathlons just fine.”  I submit that getting across the pool isn’t the same as swimming.  The biggest problem with teaching yourself to swim is that you don’t know if you’re “doing it right.”  When I video-tape an athlete and then review the video with them, universally I hear, “I had no idea I was doing that.”  Remote video analysis can be helpful; however, it takes multiple sessions to make meaningful progress.  One of the best things you can do for your swimming is to schedule a couple of one-hour lessons with a qualified coach/instructor.

Over-Reliance on Drills – I regularly see the question here in the forums – “What drills can I do to improve my swimming?”  Shortly after that question appears, there will often be multiple responses recommending various drills to “fix their swimming.”  The problem is nobody has seen anybody in the water.  That makes all the suggestions to fix their swimming a wild guess.  Unless a qualified coach/instructor has prescribed a drill to correct a specific and identifiable stroke deficiency, you are better off swimming.  Once you have been prescribed a drill, you should see near immediate results and likely not need to do the drill more than a couple of weeks.  Spending a quarter to half of your valuable workout time doing pointless drills will quash your swimming as fast as not working out at all.  If you want to become a better swimmer, then you need to swim.

Ignoring the Fundamentals – When children learn to swim, they start with simple things – putting their face in the water with no goggles, blowing bubbles; blowing bubbles from their nose; learning to float.  For the kids, that’s fun.  When I ask an adult to do those same things, I often hear, “I’m not doing those childish things.”  Ironically, it’s likely those same adults that struggle in the water.  Do you have a problem with your balance in the water as your legs drop creating drag?  Learning to float teaches you to control your extremities.  Do you find yourself struggling to get enough air when you breathe?  Learning to blow bubbles goes directly towards this problem.  Whenever I hear someone ask about a nose clip or see an athlete grab their nose as they enter the water, I think, “They didn’t learn the fundamentals.”  Will learning the fundamentals suddenly make you a faster swimmer?  Maybe not, but it will help you overcome basic problems that stem from not having a solid fundamental foundation.

Long Continuous Swims – How you use your time in the water is critical to your progress.  Swimming is highly technical and reliant upon good stroke technique.  One of the goals of any workout should be to store proper technique to muscle memory.  Doing long continuous swims in training introduces fatigue.  As you fatigue, your stroke technique degrades – resulting in poor technique being stored to muscle memory.  A better approach is to do intervals – i.e. 15 x 100 w/20 seconds rest.  Doing that set gives you the benefit of a 1,500-meter main set, and it also gives you the added benefit of good technique during the entire workout.

Dislike Swimming – Is swimming a necessary evil, or do you truly look forward to getting in the water?  If you despise swimming, that negative attitude will hold you back from reaching your full potential in the water.  I get it, if you struggle with swimming, it can be difficult to look forward to more struggles.  If what you are doing isn’t working – change it.  Hire a coach, hire a different coach, change your workout routine.  Anything you can do to turn your struggles in the water into success in the water will help you learn to love swimming.

Insufficient Volume – I touched on this a little bit earlier but it’s important enough to re-visit.  I’ve been asked, “What’s the minimum swim volume I can do to be prepared for my race?”  I invariably turn that question around and ask, “What’s the maximum volume you can achieve?”  1:30/100y is a relatively easy benchmark to reach.  1:30/100 will yield a 1:03 Ironman swim.  6,300 yards three times per week will get most triathletes to that pace.  That’s roughly two-hours, three times a week.  Before you say that’s too much time in the pool, consider that a typical training ratio is – Swim 25%: Bike 50%: Run 25%.  If your maximum volume during an Ironman build is 20-hours per week, swimming six of those hours puts you nicely in the typical volume ratio.  Instead of trying to minimize your time in the water, don’t be afraid to increase your volume.  Your swimming will thank you for it.

By no means is this a comprehensive list of the mistakes I have seen athletes make in the water – it’s just the most common mistakes I see.  I didn’t talk about the details of swimming – i.e. proper hand entry, how to initiate the catch, etc.  If you eliminate the mistakes I outlined about, all the details will largely take care of themselves.

Swimming doesn’t have to be hard.  Eliminating the most common mistakes will have you on a path to faster swimming.  Who knows, you might even grow to love swimming!

2018-07-14 12:38 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Subject: RE: Swimming Isn't Hard
Good right up. I disagree , or should probably ask you to clarify something on the long continuous swims. Are you saying never do them ? I believe they have value. Once a month in training I will do a straight 2-3k swim. I use it for practicing pacing and working on maintaining form and pace when I tire. I’ll do intervals during it by either upping tempo and trying to hold certain times on 50s or 100s. So one 50 hard one easy to recover. Or simply down easy back hard. I have heard people say never do long continuos swims. But I don’t understand how ,especially AOS, are going to prepare themselves for 1.2 or 2.4 swims without. Kind of falls back to nothing new on race day. One other thing to maybe add to your list. Practice sighting. I’ve been doing OWS for over 30 years. I still practice sighting from time to time and especially before a race. I don’t think I have ever seen someone else work on it in a pool. I have a specific stroke for when I sight so I like to work on it from time to time.
2018-07-14 1:22 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Bronze member

Agree good write up. Thanks

How about pool tools? My local pool started having a coached Master's Swim team. The team idea fell through but the coach was still organizing workouts so I joined them. I'll back track a bit - I started swimming regularly (2 or 3 days  week) for fitness back in 2001. In that time I have had beginning swim classes, joined a swim for fitness for triathlete's class that was coached, took American Red Cross Swim Instructor Training. I never competed as a child. The current Coach uses pool tools in every workout - snorkel, pull buoy, paddles and fins. In my head I'm thinking I've been swimming all these years without all this stuff now I join this group and I feel like I "need" all this stuff. I have everything so far except the snorkel. I'm holding out refusing to buy a snorkel, why? No real reason except I've swam all these years with no snorkel so why do I need one now?! 

2018-07-14 2:23 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Good right up. I disagree , or should probably ask you to clarify something on the long continuous swims. Are you saying never do them ? I believe they have value. Once a month in training I will do a straight 2-3k swim. I use it for practicing pacing and working on maintaining form and pace when I tire. I’ll do intervals during it by either upping tempo and trying to hold certain times on 50s or 100s. So one 50 hard one easy to recover. Or simply down easy back hard. I have heard people say never do long continuous swims. But I don’t understand how ,especially AOS, are going to prepare themselves for 1.2 or 2.4 swims without. Kind of falls back to nothing new on race day. One other thing to maybe add to your list. Practice sighting. I’ve been doing OWS for over 30 years. I still practice sighting from time to time and especially before a race. I don’t think I have ever seen someone else work on it in a pool. I have a specific stroke for when I sight so I like to work on it from time to time.

I do see value in a long swim if an athlete needs the psychological confidence they can go the race distance.  Once they've done that, I see no value in doing it again - it's just a poor utilization of your available workout time.

You mention you use a 2-3k swim each month to work on pacing and form as you fatigue.  That reinforces my argument against long continuous swims.  Over the duration of a long continuous swim, you are going to fatigue.  As you fatigue, your technique is going to degrade.  Each stroke you take with less than perfect technique is storing improper technique to muscle memory.  When your technique breaks down because of fatigue, it's going to break down to what is stored in muscle memory.  If perfect technique is stored in muscle memory, then your stroke will "break down" to perfect technique.  On the other hand, if you are regularly storing improper technique to muscle memory, when fatigue causes your technique to degrade, it will break down to improper technique.

A much better way to perfect pacing then long continuous swims is to build workouts around your Swim Threshold Pace (STP, aka CSS).  Let's say for the sake of discussion that your threshold pace is 1:30/100 yards.  Doing your 3,000 continuous swim at IM race pace would be an achievable challenge although your technique would undoubtedly break down.  However, if you were to do your 3,000 as 15 x 200 at IM race pace with 10-seconds rest, you'd have a really good workout that would do more for your pacing than any long swim ever could.  IM race pace is ~ STP + 3-seconds/100y = 1:33/100y.  200's would be double that = 3:06.  Add your rest interval of 10-seconds = a send-off interval of 3:15 (rounded to the nearest 0:05 for simplicity).  If you aren't hitting your target pace of 1:33/100 you won't be getting any rest.  In this example, every 200 you would have confirmation of your pacing.  More importantly, that brief rest interval will allow you to maintain proper technique and store that proper technique to muscle memory.

You mention you don't understand how an athlete is going to prepare themselves for a 1.2 or 2.4 mile swim without doing long continuous swims.  Let me ask you a question - how many triathletes do you know that complete an entire marathon in their training for an IM marathon?  I venture to say the answer is none.  Indeed, I don't like to see the athlete's I work with do long runs of more than 90-minutes which is well short of a full marathon for even the fastest runners.  You don't need to go the full distance in training in order to go the full distance on race day.  Endurance doesn't work that way.  If you need the psychological confidence instilled by completing the distance, that's a different question.  I think you'd find if you did that 15 x 200 workout I talked about earlier that it would be much more challenging than a 3,000 continuous swim.  You could repeat that workout multiple times in a week and if you add volume over time would properly prepare you for your race distance.

I agree that sighting work is important.  I didn't mention it because that's one of those "detail" things.  We could easily spend the next week talking about all the minute details that go into being a good swimmer, cyclist, or runner.  I was trying to point out the most common mistakes.

2018-07-14 3:35 PM
in reply to: #5246332

User image

Good write up. Completed my first tri this morning and the swim was “hard“. Luckily, I didn’t feel that it adversely impacted my other two disciplines. I was definitely humbled coming out of the water though.

My issue is i live 40-50 minutes from an Olympic pool. I’m doing most of my stuff in a neighbors inground pool. Do you recommend the swim cords to work the muscles used in swimming? I know this isn’t a direct replacement, but I will invest in them if it has some carry over.
2018-07-14 4:07 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by trigal38

Agree good write up. Thanks

How about pool tools? My local pool started having a coached Master's Swim team. The team idea fell through but the coach was still organizing workouts so I joined them. I'll back track a bit - I started swimming regularly (2 or 3 days  week) for fitness back in 2001. In that time I have had beginning swim classes, joined a swim for fitness for triathlete's class that was coached, took American Red Cross Swim Instructor Training. I never competed as a child. The current Coach uses pool tools in every workout - snorkel, pull buoy, paddles and fins. In my head I'm thinking I've been swimming all these years without all this stuff now I join this group and I feel like I "need" all this stuff. I have everything so far except the snorkel. I'm holding out refusing to buy a snorkel, why? No real reason except I've swam all these years with no snorkel so why do I need one now?! 

I didn't talk about toys because using them, in and of itself, isn't necessarily a mistake.  That said, I question the value of most of the toys being used today.  Admittedly I haven't worked with competitive swimmers in a long time.  However, most of the arguments I hear in favor of all the toys don't pass the "smell test."  Back when I was swimming we used paddles and ankle bands.  The band to isolate the pull and the paddles to identify technique deficiencies.  My coach was the guy that designed and marketed the original paddles (he licensed those paddles to Speedo and you can still purchase that original design - those ugly rectangular paddles with the tubing at the middle finger and wrist).  Contrary to popular belief, paddles aren't a strength tool, rather they are a technique tool and as such, aren't used frequently.  At the height of my swimming career I was swimming 400-450,000 meters/month.  Maybe 500 of those meters were using paddles.

One of the technique deficiencies that paddles regularly highlighted was improper balance - sinking legs.  My coach was a purest (so it's no wonder I share the sentiment) and demanded we learn proper technique.  However some enterprising individual came along and recognized he could "fix" the problem of sinking legs - and the pull buoy was born.  Another individual came along and said, "Let's use fins so we can simulate fast swimming."  Which makes absolutely no sense because as soon as you take the fins off, you're back to swimming at your original slow pace.  I figured out one time I swam well in excess of 50-million meters during my swimming career.  Not one of those meters was with fins on - so take that for what it's worth.

Don't even get me started on snorkels.  Many of the most glaring technique deficiencies center around breathing.  How then, is it beneficial to remove breathing from the equation?

At the end of the day, if you want to swim fast, you need to swim; then you need to swim some more, and when you think you've swum enough, you need to swim some more.  If using the toys gets you into the pool and swimming, then they're a good thing - even though it goes against every purest fiber in my body.

2018-07-14 4:10 PM

User image

You mention marathon training. What is the longest run in a training program? Nothing longer then a few miles? Or just intervals on a track? If you could run a full Marathon in a build would it have any benefits if the body could tolerate it like the body can swimming ? What about long training rides ? Would you contend there’s no benefit learning how to suffer in the swim? Let’s continue with the 3k swim. If an athelete is getting in 12 swims a month so total 36k yards then the one long swim equates 8.3% of their swim training. If the body is learning bad habits when the technique breaks down that would probably be around 5% of swim training. If that 5% of bad form trumps the other 95% of training I wager there’s a bigger issue. I feel learning how to suffer through that 5% addds value and the athlete needs to know how to perform under those condition which will most likely surface in a race.
2018-07-14 6:06 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Parkland

Good write up. Completed my first tri this morning and the swim was “hard“. Luckily, I didn’t feel that it adversely impacted my other two disciplines. I was definitely humbled coming out of the water though.

My issue is i live 40-50 minutes from an Olympic pool. I’m doing most of my stuff in a neighbors inground pool. Do you recommend the swim cords to work the muscles used in swimming? I know this isn’t a direct replacement, but I will invest in them if it has some carry over.

Congratulations on your first triathlon!  You're now officially a part of this crazy sport.  Enjoy the journey.

I have a similar problem to you - lack of a convenient pool.  I can train with the local tri-team in the high-school pool at 7:00pm.  The problem is at 7:00pm I'm starting to think about a pillow, not a pool.  The next closest pool is 65-miles away - meaning 90-minutes in the water is really 4-hours when you include driving and a shower.  It happens there's an incredible mixed use trail adjacent to the pool.  It's close to 60-miles of trail that's lightly used and closed to vehicular traffic.  That gives me the opportunity to do swim/run orswim/bike bricks that let me mitigate the collateral time.  Having someplace safe to ride is worth the drive all by itself.  You might see if there's a way you can do likewise and double up a couple workouts so you can get a bigger bang for your time buck.

To your question - Your comment about being humbled coming out of the water this morning implies to me you are somewhat new to swimming with a purpose.  With that in mind, everything you do should be done with an eye towards developing proper stroke technique.  On the one hand, the swim cords might marginally be able to help you improve swim specific strength.  On the other hand, as a new swimmer, they could easily introduce technique deficiencies.  I get it, you want to maximize your training.  In my humble opinion though, your long term swimming development will be better served holding off on the swim bands until you've developed good technique.  As I said in an earlier response, if you want to swim fast, you need to swim, then you need to swim some more.  When you think you've swum enough, you need to swim some more.

2018-07-14 7:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano You mention marathon training. What is the longest run in a training program? Nothing longer then a few miles? Or just intervals on a track? If you could run a full Marathon in a build would it have any benefits if the body could tolerate it like the body can swimming ? What about long training rides ? Would you contend there’s no benefit learning how to suffer in the swim? Let’s continue with the 3k swim. If an athelete is getting in 12 swims a month so total 36k yards then the one long swim equates 8.3% of their swim training. If the body is learning bad habits when the technique breaks down that would probably be around 5% of swim training. If that 5% of bad form trumps the other 95% of training I wager there’s a bigger issue. I feel learning how to suffer through that 5% addds value and the athlete needs to know how to perform under those condition which will most likely surface in a race.

I think you missed my point.  You'd said you didn't understand how an athlete could prepare for a HIM or IM swim without doing a long continuous swim.  I pointed out that in the same way nobody does a full marathon while preparing for an Ironman, an athlete doesn't need to do a long continuous swim to prepare for a long race day swim.  I made no reference whatsoever to run training beyond that.  That is another discussion for another time.

I contend if you are suffering during a triathlon swim you are doing it wrong.  The goal of a triathlon swim is to remain aerobic.  Aerobic and suffer don't often collide in the same sentence.

I further contend if you are only swimming 36,000 meters per month you are woefully under-prepared for anything longer than an Olympic triathlon.

You achieve excellence by striving for excellence - all the time.  During the swim that means striving for 100% perfect stroke technique 100% of the time.

Finally, if you structure your training properly you will never face anything on race day you haven't already faced and conquered in training.

By all means, if you see value in doing long continuous swims in training, then do long continuous swims in training.  I'm sure the experts internationally that are in near unanimous agreement that long continuous swims are an inefficient and ineffective form of training simply don't fully understand your situation.

2018-07-15 7:54 AM

User image

“ I'm sure the experts internationally that are in near unanimous agreement that long continuous swims are an inefficient and ineffective form of training simply don't fully understand your situation”Nice cheap shot. I’ll take that as we are done here. Let’s continue with all agreeing on everything.
2018-07-15 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

“ I'm sure the experts internationally that are in near unanimous agreement that long continuous swims are an inefficient and ineffective form of training simply don't fully understand your situation”Nice cheap shot. I’ll take that as we are done here. Let’s continue with all agreeing on everything.

One thing I have noticed, people from a Open Water, long distance or marathon swimming background do long continuous swims. One lady I share a lane with regularly is a top 10 in the world AG swimmer for long distance open water swimming. She does a long lake swim every week in the summer. Traditional pool swimming coaches, who typically swim under 200m although sometimes go as high as 1500m seem to have different opinions. In making opinions seek the advice from people from diverse backgrounds.

One guy I really enjoy listening to is Gerry Rodriguez who is quite practical in his approach to the amount of time a triathlete should dedicate to swimming. For me, spending 6hours of a 20 hour week in swimming is not optimal. I can spend 4, have a CSS 1 or 2secs slower, swim a second slower over CSS and all in all I'll be 5s/100 slower and give up 3 or 4 minutes, that I will get back with additional run or bike fitness. Easy

I swim with a masters group in the winter. Coach is a 3x Olympian. When June rolls around I do all my swimming in OW. I go back and forth between 2 big rocks, 400m apart so I can time myself accurately. The last 3 years, in June I would be able to do say 20x100m in the pool holding 1:32. But my OWS stank. By the end of the summer my OWS improved considerably but I could hold my pool times anymore. I believe it's very much the specificity of OWS, sighting, timing, no flip turns....

2018-07-15 1:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by k9car363

Congratulations on your first triathlon!  You're now officially a part of this crazy sport.  Enjoy the journey.

I have a similar problem to you - lack of a convenient pool.  I can train with the local tri-team in the high-school pool at 7:00pm.  The problem is at 7:00pm I'm starting to think about a pillow, not a pool.  The next closest pool is 65-miles away - meaning 90-minutes in the water is really 4-hours when you include driving and a shower.  It happens there's an incredible mixed use trail adjacent to the pool.  It's close to 60-miles of trail that's lightly used and closed to vehicular traffic.  That gives me the opportunity to do swim/run orswim/bike bricks that let me mitigate the collateral time.  Having someplace safe to ride is worth the drive all by itself.  You might see if there's a way you can do likewise and double up a couple workouts so you can get a bigger bang for your time buck.

To your question - Your comment about being humbled coming out of the water this morning implies to me you are somewhat new to swimming with a purpose.  With that in mind, everything you do should be done with an eye towards developing proper stroke technique.  On the one hand, the swim cords might marginally be able to help you improve swim specific strength.  On the other hand, as a new swimmer, they could easily introduce technique deficiencies.  I get it, you want to maximize your training.  In my humble opinion though, your long term swimming development will be better served holding off on the swim bands until you've developed good technique.  As I said in an earlier response, if you want to swim fast, you need to swim, then you need to swim some more.  When you think you've swum enough, you need to swim some more.

Thanks for the reply! I made the mistake of thinking that I could "muscle" my way through a 0.3 mile swim with only having 2 swim sessions completed this year. I was gassed at the 0.1 mark. Finished the swim 234th out of 300, bike 50th out of 300, and run 34th of 300. Obviously my swim was atrocious. I didn't really rush through the transitions so I should be able to improve a good bit with those as well.

Funny you mention the multi-use trail. The venue at which I completed the triathlon is 50 minutes from my house and has swim access in the river as well as a lengthy run/bike route. I think I may go there once or twice a month and do some bricks. Unfortunately, the rest of my swims will likely be in my neighbors pool with a swim tether.

Any experience using the swim tethers? I purchased the kind that hooks around your ankles. Thanks again for all the advice and assistance!
2018-07-15 2:25 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by marcag

One thing I have noticed, people from a Open Water, long distance or marathon swimming background do long continuous swims. One lady I share a lane with regularly is a top 10 in the world AG swimmer for long distance open water swimming. She does a long lake swim every week in the summer. Traditional pool swimming coaches, who typically swim under 200m although sometimes go as high as 1500m seem to have different opinions. In making opinions seek the advice from people from diverse backgrounds.

One guy I really enjoy listening to is Gerry Rodriguez who is quite practical in his approach to the amount of time a triathlete should dedicate to swimming. For me, spending 6hours of a 20 hour week in swimming is not optimal. I can spend 4, have a CSS 1 or 2secs slower, swim a second slower over CSS and all in all I'll be 5s/100 slower and give up 3 or 4 minutes, that I will get back with additional run or bike fitness. Easy

I swim with a masters group in the winter. Coach is a 3x Olympian. When June rolls around I do all my swimming in OW. I go back and forth between 2 big rocks, 400m apart so I can time myself accurately. The last 3 years, in June I would be able to do say 20x100m in the pool holding 1:32. But my OWS stank. By the end of the summer my OWS improved considerably but I could hold my pool times anymore. I believe it's very much the specificity of OWS, sighting, timing, no flip turns....

Hey Marc,

I absolutely agree there are people who do long continuous swims in training.  I'd expect someone who is top 10 in the world for long distance OWS events to have excellent technique and to have sufficient meters in their swim bank that jumping in the water and doing a 5k continuous swim is absolutely no challenge.  That isn't the athlete I was referring to in my original comments.  In my original comment I pretty clearly said I was referring to age-group triathletes.  More specifically, when I made my comments I had in mind the age-group triathlete that came off the couch a year or two ago, an athlete that 6-12 months ago had a hard time swimming two continuous lengths of a short course pool.  That's an athlete that likely still has some technique deficiencies; an athlete that doesn't have the meters in their swim bank to rely upon.  That's an athlete that will be doing them self a disservice swimming long continuous swims in training.

There is absolutely no doubt that an athlete can reach a point of diminishing returns in training.  For you, it's in swimming.  For others, it might be running or cycling.  It's up to each individual athlete to determine where that point occurs for them.

Good point about specificity of training.  I nearly put that in my original post as a common mistake.  Can't tell you how many times I've seen or heard of an athlete whose never had a wetsuit on or swam in open water, but there they are on race day with their shiny new wetsuit, ready to head out on a 2.4 mile open water swim.

2018-07-15 3:06 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Any experience using the swim tethers? I purchased the kind that hooks around your ankles. Thanks again for all the advice and assistance!

I don't have personal experience with swim tethers.  I wonder how much being tethered at the ankles will impede the kick.  Beyond that, you'll be in the water "swimming" which is preferable to some of the other alternatives.

One thing you'll have to do differently is interval management.  Typically a swim set might look like 10 x 100 @ x:xx.  That will be kind of hard since you won't be moving.  You'll have to base your intervals on duration - something like 10 x 60" (as an example).

Good luck

2018-07-17 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Very well put...
2018-08-05 11:19 PM

A lot of what was stated is intimating and makes many of us who are not fishes go in another direction. The volume ( it is all about swimming more and more) being preached is not practical for those of us with real jobs and time limitations. Constantly referring to "Olympic" caliper swimmers and coaches makes us think, what do we have in common with those folks and look elsewhere. If it takes 2 minutes to kick 25 yards--true story --why should we be told to kick some more when there are significant physical limitations that prevent such adequate activity. Those of us who can't "get it" should be encouraged to use the toys and tools if those devices enable us to "get it" and learn from it. Not all of us would make the cut for the swimming team even if we were started at a young age.

2018-08-06 12:14 PM
in reply to: Billyk24

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
For someone with serious technique issues, they would be better served with some swim instruction rather than just mindlessly going after volume goals with poor technique. Once the main issues are addressed, yes, ideally most triathletes should be swimming more, but most people don't have an ideal training situation. We all do what we can with the resources and time available, and other life demands. For many people, pool access is one of the more challenging aspects of training as pools or safe open water might be far away, not open year-round, have limited hours that conflict with work and family time, etc. But the truth is that many triathletes do tend to undertrained for the swim and really underestimate the impact a weak swim can have on the rest of their race--as a minimum, they should be swimming enough to get through the swim with confidence, if not speed, and without undue physical exhaustion, panic, or stress. How much instruction and training that will take will be different depending on one's background.
2018-08-06 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

I agree with some of this article but disagree with quite a bit

• A 1:03:00 IM swim is beyond most ... at IM Vichy last year for example Only 41 athletes equalled or bettered this time .. so for most 1:03 is a step 2 far.
  • Most AG IM athletes work full time and simply dont have the time to knock out 6000+yds 3 times per week ... they would be better off using there time on the bike
  • The bigest limiter for many AG IM athletes is technique and strength endurance ... the best way to solve the latter, if you cant get in the water the magic 3 times, is with long continuous swim. The best way to solve the former is a couple of 1-2-1 with an instructor then staring the long swims 'slowly'

I dont swim in the winter at all ... i start swimming in Mid-May OW (with my tempo trainer set at 52) -  I swim Long continuous swim (on average) once per week. This week just over 5500yds (with my tempo trainer set at 57)... I passed the the IM distance in 1:10:03.

Could I improve my time changing my swim approach .. yes possibly ... maybe 5 mins. But instead of swimming I've spent more time on the bike and Bricking ... and my bike has improved by much more than 5 mins

Time limited AG IM athleted need to take a leaf out of Channel Swimmers Books - Sort the strengthe endurance out and get used to swimming long

2018-08-06 6:36 PM
in reply to: WildWill

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by WildWill

I agree with some of this article but disagree with quite a bit

• A 1:03:00 IM swim is beyond most ... at IM Vichy last year for example Only 41 athletes equalled or bettered this time .. so for most 1:03 is a step 2 far.
  • Most AG IM athletes work full time and simply dont have the time to knock out 6000+yds 3 times per week ... they would be better off using there time on the bike
  • The bigest limiter for many AG IM athletes is technique and strength endurance ... the best way to solve the latter, if you cant get in the water the magic 3 times, is with long continuous swim. The best way to solve the former is a couple of 1-2-1 with an instructor then staring the long swims 'slowly'

I dont swim in the winter at all ... i start swimming in Mid-May OW (with my tempo trainer set at 52) -  I swim Long continuous swim (on average) once per week. This week just over 5500yds (with my tempo trainer set at 57)... I passed the the IM distance in 1:10:03.

Could I improve my time changing my swim approach .. yes possibly ... maybe 5 mins. But instead of swimming I've spent more time on the bike and Bricking ... and my bike has improved by much more than 5 mins

Time limited AG IM athleted need to take a leaf out of Channel Swimmers Books - Sort the strengthe endurance out and get used to swimming long

With all due respect - opinions vary.

One of the things I enjoy the most about coaching is having the opportunity to show athlete's what they can be; rather than reflect what they are.  That includes introducing them to coaching methods that have been proven over time.

With that said, I will agree to disagree with pretty much everything you said.  I wish you luck with your methods.

2018-08-06 11:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Here's my experience, as someone who took up swimming in order to do an IM, and for no other reason.  It's just my experience.  I was serious about it, hired a swim coach (which was hugely beneficial to me), swam a lot [EDIT: 'a lot' for an average triathlete, not a real swimmer] (at one time), etc.

1. The swim is scary enough that if you cannot comfortably cover the distance, including in the presence of other flailing arms and legs, in open water, needing to sight, etc., then you need to pay serious attention to the swim.
  2. In addition, it is very important to exit the swim feeling good.  So you cannot 'mightily struggle' to get through the race distance on the swim.  It really needs to be comfortable, or the bike and run will suffer.  Experience in open water is important, here, as is some experience, prior to race day, of swimming the full distance (even more), preferably in open water (assuming the race is open water).
  3. On the other hand, return on investment (in the sense of time gained on the swim, per hour spent in the pool training) is pretty low, compared with running and biking.  Once you can comfortably cover the distance of your race, probably bigger time gains are available elsewhere, unless you are doing an oddball race that really emphasizes the swim.
  4. On the other other hand, once you get near the front of the pack, especially in shorter races, the swim becomes far more important, because you just cannot afford to give up minutes on the swim to the best athletes.  You can afford to give up minutes to the 'swim experts', whom you will pass on the bike, but not to the people who can bike and run as fast as you, or nearly so.  At this point in your tri career, you can cover the distance comfortably.  You need to find people to train with who are faster than you, or be very good at pushing yourself.
  5. Swimming the full distance of a race (even an IM) is absolutely nothing like running (or even biking) the full distance of the race.  That's a silly comparison.  Just speaking in IM terms (but the same applies for other distances), if you are well trained, you can easily do a 4K swim and come back and do it again the next day and probably be better off for it.  Doing back to back (or indeed any) marathons in training would be suicidal for most, and even back to back century rides would be a bad idea for most.  A person who is doing reasonable swim training and does a weekly 'long swim' the length of his or her goal race is almost definitely doing no harm, and might well be doing some good.  The other swims in the week will sufficiently reinforce good form (assuming that they are swimming with good form at all, which is, in my personal case, a generous assumption...).

My 2c.

[EDIT 2:] Oh dangit and I almost forgot.  In my experience, swimming is HARD!  I took up swimming as a 40-year old.  I worked hard at it and continued to be horrible,  For years.  I never got particularly good at it.  I can do an IM swim in around 1:10, but the work that would be required to take 5-8 minutes off that time is daunting to say the least.  In contrast, I also took up running at about the same time.  A few years later I was winning races.  Swimming is HARD!!!!

Edited by Experior 2018-08-07 12:08 AM
2018-08-07 11:14 AM

Hi Scott,
Great info.
I respect your knowledge and admit up front I have no where near the expertise you do.

However, I do want to point out something that is a source of continual frustration for MOP swimmers or adult onset swimmers like me.
It is the variance of what to do or not to do among the experts. For example, you make a good point on the long continuous swim. However, unless I am really off here, the guys on Tower 26 podcast (Gerry R) would disagree. Experts disagree all the time on swim aids, how much they should be used, or used at all. One tri coach will say paddles are valuable to evaluate catch/pull. Another will say leave them at home unless you want to risk shoulder injury. Are flip turns important or even necessary to do when training for a tri? If you look at 4 coaches comments, it will be split 50/50. You get the point. I am a student of swimming so I try soak up as much as I can. But it seems like there is such a wide difference of opinions in swimming, more so I feel that cycling or running. Probably because it is so technical. The fact that swimming is very technical is actually the only common thread I have seen among all the experts.

I do really appreciate your time and efforts to help us all be better swimmers. Sometimes, it is just hard to know what to do when there is so much conflicting advice out there.

2018-08-07 7:08 PM

Beautifully written.
2018-08-08 2:44 AM
in reply to: nathan_strahl@yahoo.

I mostly agree with what you've written. Disagree with your example workout of 15 x100. This is where a lot of triathlon swim coaches (IMO) seem to fall short. They throw swim programs at triathletes that are largely irrelevant. We're not racing 50m freestyle, we're doing 1.9km or 3.8km. 80 x the distance yet we train the same as a sprinter. We should be building our training around 400s+. Perhaps some days where there is sprint work, but yeah don't get how a 50m sprinter and 3.8km IM swimmer can have the same workout.
2018-08-08 4:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by zedzded I mostly agree with what you've written. Disagree with your example workout of 15 x100. This is where a lot of triathlon swim coaches (IMO) seem to fall short. They throw swim programs at triathletes that are largely irrelevant. We're not racing 50m freestyle, we're doing 1.9km or 3.8km. 80 x the distance yet we train the same as a sprinter. We should be building our training around 400s+. Perhaps some days where there is sprint work, but yeah don't get how a 50m sprinter and 3.8km IM swimmer can have the same workout.

First of all, I'd characterize myself as a swim coach, turned triathlon coach. I agree, there are many triathlon coaches that lack a true swimming background and in my opinion that occasionally leads "Triathlon Swim Coaches" to pursue what I would characterize as less than optimal training methods.  I will acknowledge there is more than one way to do just about anything so I don't for a moment believe my way is the only way or even necessarily the best way.  I do believe however that the methods I use and advocate are proven over time.  Sorry to any triathlon coaches that don't have a 20-year swimming career as the foundation for their athletic career.  I'm not trying to offend, just making an observation based on over 4-decades of experience.

To your specific comment about 15 x 100 being irrelevant to a triathlon swim.  I strongly disagree.  Katie Ledeckey is by almost any standard one of the best swimmers of her generation and arguably one of the greatest swimmers of all time.  She is the current World Record holder in the 400m, 800m, and 1500m freestyle.  Two of those events are VERY close to three different triathlon swims - specifically a Sprint - 750m, an Olympic - 1500m, and a 70.3 - 1900m.  While Katie does shorter swims, her specialty is longer "endurance" events.  I don't advocate age-group triathletes do "Olympic Caliber" swimmer's workouts.  Indeed, very few age group triathlete's could complete one of Katie's workouts.  However, it is instructive to look at what she does and see what conclusions we might be able to draw from her workouts.  Katie RARELY does intervals longer than 200m in training.  A very large percentage of her workouts is spent doing 25's, 50's, and 100's.  She does admittedly occasionally do a 5,000m continuous swim for time - however the qualification I would offer is that her time is typically right at 50:00 (by the way, that would work out to a 38:00 Ironman swim).  I venture to say you can count on one hand the number of people on Beginner Triathlete that can swim 5000m without experiencing stroke degradation due to fatigue.

My point is, when you understand the technical aspect of swimming, it's much easier to see how doing intervals - where you can maintain proper technique and store that proper technique to muscle memory - can not only prepare you for a longer swim, but help you become a faster swimmer in the process.

https://www.yourswimlog.com/katie-ledecky-sets-training/

http://www.svensksimidrott.se/globalassets/svenska-simforbundet/utbildning/kurs-o-konferens/tranarkonferens-2016/bruce-gemmell---sept-2016-training-kgl.pdf

2018-08-08 6:07 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Burchib Hi Scott, Great info. I respect your knowledge and admit up front I have no where near the expertise you do. However, I do want to point out something that is a source of continual frustration for MOP swimmers or adult onset swimmers like me. It is the variance of what to do or not to do among the experts. For example, you make a good point on the long continuous swim. However, unless I am really off here, the guys on Tower 26 podcast (Gerry R) would disagree. Experts disagree all the time on swim aids, how much they should be used, or used at all. One tri coach will say paddles are valuable to evaluate catch/pull. Another will say leave them at home unless you want to risk shoulder injury. Are flip turns important or even necessary to do when training for a tri? If you look at 4 coaches comments, it will be split 50/50. You get the point. I am a student of swimming so I try soak up as much as I can. But it seems like there is such a wide difference of opinions in swimming, more so I feel that cycling or running. Probably because it is so technical. The fact that swimming is very technical is actually the only common thread I have seen among all the experts. I do really appreciate your time and efforts to help us all be better swimmers. Sometimes, it is just hard to know what to do when there is so much conflicting advice out there.

Hey Barry,

Let me start by saying I'm going to share my personal opinion on this.  As sure as I write it, there will be people that want to call me out and tell me I'm nuts.  That's fine.  We all have an opinion.  Mine is based on nearly a 50-year association with competitive and triathlon swimming.  Also, I look at swimming through the prism of having well in excess of 50-million meters in my personal swim bank.  So take it for what it's worth.

Yes, I agree there are a number of different opinions on "the best way" to train for a triathlon swim.  The first thing to understand is there is no "BEST WAY."  There are just different ways.  My personal opinion is the root of the differences boils down to the experience the person advocating one way or another brings to the conversation.  On the one hand, you have those that come from swimming backgrounds.  I fall into this category.  I'd characterize myself as a "swimming purist with old-fashioned training values and methods."  Also from the swimming background side are coaches/swimmers that have a bit less "time in the saddle" and you'll likely find those individuals more willing to consider the use of "pool toys."  On the other hand, you have triathletes and triathlon coaches that may not have the swim background or picked up swimming in the express context of triathlon.  Those individuals may be more willing to look at the swim as a "necessary evil" and be willing to consider methods that will reduce time in the water "so you can devote the time to the bike where it will do more good."

Those from the swimming side tend to be more focused on technique while those from the triathlon side tend to be more focused on just muscling through the swim.  At the end of the day, swimming is swimming.  Yes, there are some subtle differences between "swim-meet swimming" and "triathlon swimming" but when you look closely, both types of swimming are doing the same thing.  You are attempting to reduce frontal drag in the water while applying propulsive force to move yourself through the water.

Which approach is the "best?"  That's a question each athlete has to answer for themselves.  If you want to become a better swimmer, I submit you might consider doing what swimmers do.  If you merely want to survive the triathlon swim, then you have all the options that swimmers typically pursue plus the options advocated by those with less of a swim background.

Hope that helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Isn't Hard Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swimming Technique Tips for Triathlon Swims - Reposted from Articles

Started by k9car363
Views: 1310 Posts: 2

2018-04-29 1:38 PM tazrocky

Is a finishers medal enough for your hard work? Pages: 1 2

Started by timbig
Views: 2433 Posts: 43