General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting used to aero bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-20 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: getting used to aero bars
I have not put in the hours to be a proficient cyclist. I still sit up and ride the brakes on descents. Partially why I don't ride more, big hills in every direction, hard to go for long. I know that's the first thing to do, ride more.

Had clip-on aero bars put on my road bike and had a fitting. I use them when I'm on the trainer, but feel very unsteady using them on the road. Is there anything I can do to work on it? I'll try them on a straight road but get back to the hoods quickly. I can use any tips you guys have.

2018-07-20 7:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: getting used to aero bars
If at all possible, find a place with very little or no traffic to practice this. Quiet roads, a big parking lot on a day when nothing's going on, or a multi-use path if you keep to slower speeds and do it at off hours like mid-morning on a weekday. When my parents lived in Oregon, I was really lucky to live about a half hour drive from a 25-mile round trip "rail trail" that had been made into a paved multi-use path. It went through a rural area connecting some very small towns; local bike clubs helped maintain it and would spray-paint warning lines around any bumps or other potential hazards. Now I don't have that and miss it!

I have had aerobars for several years and raced up to HIM nearly all in aero, but honestly, I am still uneasy with using them in heavy traffic or on rough or unfamiliar roads. It just seems risky to have one's hands off the brakes when traffic is not stopped for an event, and you don't know what vehicles will do or what will happen with the road surface.

Descents take time to get used to. On steep ones, you shouldn't be in aero anyway for safety reasons, and sometimes signs on a race course will tell you that (there were some at IM CDA 70.3, for example). Over time, you'll get more comfortable with handling more modest downhills. I will admit--the first time I ever rode down any kind of incline in aero, it was actually in a race! Saigon had no hills to speak of, and riding one's aerobars anywhere outside the closed, pancake-flat circuit I sometimes rode in an industrial park would be suicidal. (Actually, I'd never ridden more than about four miles in aero on the road before doing most of a 60 km bike leg in a race on the aerobars!)

If you have no choice for outdoor training but busy roads with steep climbs and descents, you might consider doing your longer rides on a road bike in normal position, and your shorter, more intense workouts on the trainer in aero. Pretty much what I'm doing here in Idaho--I'm in a similar situation now.

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-07-20 7:46 PM
2018-07-21 9:41 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

When you go to aero bars from hoods use your core to move to them in a steady fashion. When I first added clip ons to a rod bike I thought I would never get used to them. I shortened the extensions for awhile which for me added stability. I’ve found the farther I am stretched out on them the twitchier the front gets. Fast forward a few years and my road bike I’ve been able to set up pretty comfortably. I can take turns , reach for rear bottles and all staying on extensions. I have a P2 that I did a number of fittings on with a race set up. That’s still a little twitchy at times. Keep practicing and as mentioned by I think hot runner fins soemwhere quiet to practice.
2018-07-21 6:39 PM
in reply to: #5246656

It takes quite a while to get used to them

Once you do it is like laying on the couch if you have a good fit

Aero bars in a ride bike can be tough to get a good fit
2018-07-22 9:57 PM
in reply to: REILLY P

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thanks everyone.
2018-07-23 7:05 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Practice, practice, practice! I remember the first time I used a bike with aerobars... it was a 20 mile or so ride and I spent MAYBE a mile in the aerobars total. It's definitely an alien feeling and takes some getting used do. As others side, doing so in an area without traffic can help you build that initial confidence. I would also suggest doing so on a calm day in terms of wind. It can make the transition to the aerobars a little smoother while you are still getting used to things.

2018-07-23 8:17 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Originally posted by Hot Runner
On steep ones, you shouldn't be in aero anyway for safety reasons, and sometimes signs on a race course will tell you that (there were some at IM CDA 70.3, for example).

Somewhere on the internetz, I read that being in aero on the descent was safer, based on the lower center of gravity.
I am generally pretty risk averse, and I consider this nonsense.

Maybe the lower center of gravity has *some* truth to it, but....uh....doing 40+ miles an hour is NOT safer....at least for me, for sure.
I have no problem using the brakes on a steep descent. Especially one of them I do that's essentially a state highway....or is treated like one by the cars whizzing by.

I seem to have no problems sitting up and using my relative girth as a drag chute. Between that and the brakes, I can assure anyone that I am far safer doing a controlled 25+ mph than 40 something.

I'm not afraid to go barreling down a steep descent. But, I am afraid of crashing going down a steep descent. A regular crash hurts. A crash at 30+ mph hurts worse. Like I said. Risk averse.

I love haunted houses because they scare the pants off me and I know they're not real. I'm a competitive musician. Heart rate goes up. All sorts of chemicals shoot through the brain and the nervous system goes haywire. I love it. I imagine it's the same feeling as jumping out of an airplane. Only difference is, when the haunted house is over, I get in my car and go. With the music, even if we totally screw up....we chuckle about it in the beer tent afterward. If my parachute doesn't open, well...there ya go.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting used to aero bars Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

These Aero bars ok?

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 850 Posts: 11

2018-03-13 4:26 PM reecealan

Clip-On Aero's...what are you using?

Started by nuckaman
Views: 632 Posts: 2

2017-10-29 6:28 AM jmhpsu93

Work Getting In The Way

Started by mav_9
Views: 771 Posts: 4

2017-10-01 12:23 PM yazmaster

How do I pick a bike with the "right" handle and aero bars?

Started by jigjogjag
Views: 753 Posts: 3

2017-09-16 6:18 AM marcag

Right hand pinkie gets numb while swimming

Started by kcgolf
Views: 4664 Posts: 13

2018-07-18 1:21 PM katherinel