United States
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 9s
Overall Rank = 8/124
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

As always, I try to get to the venue early, but fate tricked me a bit and I locked myself out of my hotel room as I tried to walk my bike down to the truck. Had too much stuff for one trip, but forgot the room key. So, put a bit behind the 8 ball. I was already slow in going through the motions so I was 1/2 hr later than I wanted to be. Ate fine, got the calories in. Showered and moved the bowels like clockwork and didn't feel anxious. My sore back felt better after a restful night. Drove quickly and did my stuff.
Event warmup:

Swam out to the buoy and back. Water was bathwater. Suit felt perfect with no constriction. I figured if it went well, I would push it and roll the dice.
Swim
  • 07m
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

That was the fastest swim I've ever done. Went off course a bit on the way back trying to actually stay on someone's feet rather than actually sighting. So much to learn with swimming. I pushed after counting down from 50 and picked up the pace and held a 'hard for me' pace.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2869351170/3
What would you do differently?:

Not...a...thing
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Tried to be fast. Was first in my AG and 8OA in T1. I ran past everyone mounting-there were 3 athlete's trying to clip in, and as I knew you couldn't pass for the ~0.25 miles out of the camp, I knew I had to get past them. Snapped in and got going. BAM.

Nada
Bike
  • 36m 8s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to hold my watts steady. Wanted to get as close to my FTP as I could, which is presently ~235. The flat tire hurt me, big time. Went from OA contender to podium contender just like that.

Not flat. Rumble strips, potholes and speed bumps all added to the crapiness of the road conditions.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

I thought I was faster than I was. 1st AG and 17 OA in T2.

Be more efficient.
Run
  • 23m 8s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Running used to be my strength, but others are much better than I now. But today, I held my own. Pushed, and pushed some more. I'm most happy with trying to reel in the one guy that I thought I could catch. Saw him at mile 1 and slowly caught him. Passed him in a sprint finish and beat him by one second. AND HE WAS IN MY AG. Took first away from him.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Wanted to puke. Didn't catch my breath for a good 1/2 hour. Didn't move much for an hour. Iced my legs on the ride home. Timing was messed up, again, and no awards. Missed out on another podium.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat tire lost me ~90 seconds by my estimate. I could have finished 3rd OA without the flat tire.

https://my1.raceresult.com/103519/results?lang=en#1_94D641

Event comments:

Love the venue. Not much to do afterwards and the timing issue is a big one, IMO, but they are working to get it right.

Last updated: 2017-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:00 | 440 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 17/124
Performance: Good
I got 450 yards for ~7:00 minutes but the S included about a minute of running up towards T1. I must remember to put 2 transitions into my Garmin so I can know what my actual swim pace in the water was. My actual time was 8:17 for the 'swim'
Suit: Vortex Sleeveless
Course: Basically out/n/back with two buoys spaced by a very short distance so swimmers don't run into each other
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:08 | 12 miles | 19.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 8/124
Pushed it and held ~235 watts for almost 8 miles. Coasted on the downhills which dropped the W but I held right at the level that I could max out at. Until...I got a flat at 11.2. Distance is only 11.85, so I rode and as long as I didn't hear my carbon wheel make any noise, I kept going. Admittedly, 12 mph and pushing 200w is not as easy as it looks when you are trying to stay perfectly straight and avoid any little bump. Ran the last 400M as it was too rocky/bumpy for me to be comfortable with. AP=215/NP=232; cadence=81; IF=0.99 again
Wind: None
Course: Big clockwise loop. Hills at mile 5/6 and 9 with rollers elsewhere. It's pretty hilly.
Road: Rough  Cadence: 81
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:08 | 03 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 19/124
Weather was perfect. It only warmed up to 72 degrees and it was shady much of the run. I wanted to go faster than last year and try to hold 7:30 pace. Last year, I was close to ~8:00/mile. I was able to negatively split the run-7:28/7:20/7:03/1:20. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2869351170
Course: Out and back and flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2018-07-21 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Fat Clam Sprint Triathlon

2018-07-22 7:00 PM
in reply to: #5246694

User image

Subject: RE: Fat Clam Sprint Triathlon

Excellent Race Dale!  You proved to yourself (what we all already know) that you are a very good Swimmer!!   

Normally you might feel bad tracking someone down on the Run, and then sniping them at the finish line.  However since you had a flat for the last few miles, realistically without the flat he wouldn't have been in your zip code.  

Great Race!  Well deserved AG.  Maybe next year with a little luck, and no mechanicals, you can gun for an OA Podium 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fat Clam Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri-ing for Children's Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 1032 Posts: 1

2017-07-31 7:42 AM stevestenzel

Ashland Lions Sprint Triathlon

Started by gcoller
Views: 1070 Posts: 1

2017-07-29 10:08 PM gcoller