General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to wear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-23 12:56 PM

User image

Subject: What to wear
I am registered for my first sprint triathlon this coming October - and I have no idea what to wear!

I am not in this for speed or anything besides finishing. I used to be a swimmer, so I am only used to swimming in one-piece TYR/Speedo type of suits for swimming. I am trying to figure out what is best to wear for ME.

I am not comfortable swimming in a sports bra/two-piece workout-suit top.
I would like to wear the tri shorts during the swim, instead of a swim suit and then putting shorts on in T1, as I think having that on under the shorts would be uncomfortable.
(Located in Houston TX - very hot and humid - not doing wetsuit or swim skin, though I'm not even completely sure what that is.)

So I think the best answer for me is a tri tank and shorts combo, however my question is: what affordable top would be best for least amount of drag during the swim (imagining pockets are bad) but still has a zipper front for ventilation during bike/run?

Sorry if I'm not making sense, trying to figure this all out!
Thanks for any help!

2018-07-23 2:01 PM
in reply to: christinalstrobel

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: What to wear

Welcome to the sport.  

Assume that for a sprint race, you'll have no place to change and public nudity is likely to get you DQ'd.  You'll be swimming-biking-running in the same clothes.  

Consider what you already have:  If you already wear a 1-piece swimsuit, have you tried running in it?  Riding in it?  You might train most of the time in bike shorts, but could you ride 12-15 miles without padding?  (Probably, might be worth a try.)  You could also try pulling on a pair of bike shorts OVER your swimsuit, but running in bike shorts probably won't feel good.  You could pull off the bike shorts and add a pair of running shorts over your swimsuit.  (It's just time, you won't lose sponsorship $$ for taking the extra time.)  

You could get a 1-piece tri-suit.  It'll have a small pad for cycling that doesn't absorb much water during the swim and isn't too obtrusive when running.  They'll usually have some kind of zipper.  

You could also get a pair of tri-shorts and pair them with a tri-top.  The tri-shorts will again have a small pad for cycling.  

Tri-tops (& suits) are designed for relatively little swim drag.  Tri-tops may not have a zipper, tri-suits usually do.  If they have pockets, they're usually designed to carry a gel and won't add a lot of drag.  

Some will depend on your specific body type.  Not sure how much support you want while running, and you may not know how a tri-top will work for you without buying it and trying it.  (Which is why I suggest trying what you already have first.)  

I'm a guy and did my first tri's wearing swim trunks and pulling a cotton t-shirt on in T1.  That was 2005 and I've got more gear now.    

Good luck!  

2018-07-23 2:04 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hi there! Your train of thought is going in the right direction... a two-piece tri suit is a very popular choice for ladies of any level of experience. Also keep in mind that in a sprint distance, there aren't any changing areas, so it would be super difficult (and you'd risk breaking the "no nudity" rule) if you tried to change completely out of something like a swimsuit.

You might do some online research for brands like DeSoto, Zoot, Betty Designs, 2XU, Sugoi, Couer... there are lots of brands out there that have the pieces you're looking for.

For affordability, check Facebook buy/sell groups or eBay. I recently sold a Zoot tri top I'd only worn once for $12. Worth a look!

2018-07-23 3:40 PM

User image

Thanks for the input!
Ha, I definitely do not plan on attempting to change out of anything, which is why I want to be sure I'm starting with the right base.

I think I'm going to try to find some tri shorts and tops on ebay or amazon and hope for some deals. I just don't want to break the bank, especially since without trying on I won't know perfect sizing - want free returns! I don't think suits/one-piece will work, as I am very pear shaped, even though a suit would make things much easier.

Thanks again!
2018-07-25 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
as a swimmer you might find the 2 piece design to feel loose in the water compared to a training suit and much looser than a tech suit.
2018-07-25 10:00 AM

I did a whole year of triathlon in jammers and add a t-shirt for the bike and run.
And some of those were longer than a sprint.

But, I'm a guy. So, I can't tell ya about running/riding in one-piece swimsuits. You'd have to try it. and test your comfort level.

I'd venture to say that there's plenty of women who do entire sprints (and more) in nothing but a swimsuit. The ladies can confirm.

I know I've seen dude's at unsanctioned races do the entire race in what appears to be nothing more than a Speedo. First race I ever did, is unsanctioned, but attracts some serious competitors...the guy that won was in nothing more than a Speedo.

2018-07-30 4:33 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Less is more. tri shorts paired with a snug tank top. I wear a heavy duty bra under the tank and haven't had any issues with having one more wet item on me. You can save money on the top, don't scrimp too much on bottoms, having the right chamois helps a lot. Don't use bike shorts with a padding, they're not made to get wet and running in them will feel like you're wearing a diaper (so I've heard). You don't want anything under the tri shorts.

Welcome and enjoy!
2018-07-31 8:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Get a 1 piece trisuit .... they have open back ones that look like swimming race suits
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to wear Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Where do you wear your HRM?

Started by jnuger
Views: 344 Posts: 3

2018-07-18 11:53 AM McFuzz

Sprint tri - what to wear?

Started by B.K
Views: 1567 Posts: 11

2018-02-12 11:20 AM toastygloveman

Do you wear your trisuit for training Pages: 1 2