General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Family Happiness and Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-24 12:52 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Family Happiness and Triathlon

Last week I had a discussion with an athlete about balancing triathlon and family, then this morning I saw a similar question/comment on another thread and it got me thinking - there are probably a couple good questions here for the main forum since we are all likely dealing with the issue one way or another.

Do you know how your spouse/significant other feels about your triathlon habit?

Last week  I was talking with an athlete and I asked him, "On a scale of one to 10 how does your spouse/significant other feel about your training."  Then I defined the scale by saying 10 = absolutely supports you while 1 = stop now or talk to her attorney.  Almost without hesitation he replied she's a 5-6.  Then a couple hours later I got an email in which he said, never mind.  He'd told his wife about the question which started a real "heart-to-heart" conversation with her where he discovered she really was more of a 1-2.  Clearly it would be a problem to suddenly double training volume.  So that's the first question, do you know how your spouse/significant other feels about all this triathlon stuff?  Second part of that is how do you know?

The second question can have a lot to do with the first question - how do you balance family happiness and triathlon.  Let's face it, training for a triathlon can be time consuming - especially if you're going long.  How do you do it?  How do you maintain a balance.

Personally, I keep a "Family Happiness Account."  I put points in by trying to be a "good" husband - for example, taking the trash out without being begged multiple times, helping out around the house, going on dates with my wife, etc.  I take points out of my account when I do things like that long ride that takes the better part of a day,  come home late and smelly after a run, all those dirty clothes.  Keeping the account helps me stay cognizant of the fact my wife (and the kids when they still lived at home) is making a sacrifice so I can pursue my triathlon passion.  It helps me keep things in perspective.

Looking forward to hearing how others are dealing with Family Happiness and Triathlon.

2018-07-24 2:13 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Subject: RE: Family Happiness and Triathlon
Having three boys 6 and under and a wife that stays home, this is one of those topics that I need to keep particular close attention to. Since I started training last year the best change I have made in my workout routine is becoming a morning person. It wasn't exactly natural for me initially but now I really really love working out early. It's really helped me to get the day started off right too.

Mostly I try to listen to my wife. The summers tend to be a little harder on her at home with no school or regular programming to distract the boys. She never says "don't work out" but I definitely hear 'don't work out' some afternoons. So, all of my key workouts are in the morning and when I have to double up I try to make it a less important workout or just cut those afternoons shorter. Best of both worlds is if I can bring the boys (at least the two oldest) on whatever I do. The jogging stroller is a great friend. It's also important to cut the workout short if needed.

Finally, I think my wife's support scale is a dynamic rating. One week I might get an 8 but the next it might be a 5. I know that adjusting to family needs and always trying to listen is most important. To this date though my wife has only missed one race and that was only because we didn't have anyone to watch the boys. So, I know I have her support even if I don't always deserve all of it.
2018-07-24 2:19 PM

Tough call.
I would say she's generally OK with it. Maybe even a 7 or 8, depending on the day, what I'm up to and such.

I only started "doing fitness" like 6 years ago. Triathlon was just an occasional race on the weekend, instead of a workout.
If I weren't doing it, I'd still be spending a lot of time at the gym or running, etc.

It only got bad when I was training for my first half and I got obsessed. In some ways, it was better, because I would get up early and workout and have more time when everyone was awake. But, I obsessed over planning my weekend around rides and long runs and weather. I got anxious. Therefore that behavior caused issues.

For the first full, it was the same in that I worked out in the mornings....until later when I had to add evenings too.
But, I was much more relaxed about it. Not obsessed as much. Perfect weather all summer. No major events or trips that freaked me out or made me rearrange.

I think the only thing that made it rough on her was the same reason it gets rough on us. Just the relentless aspect of the last several weeks. Where you're almost on autopilot. Workout, work, workout, spend some family time....sleep. Repeat. But, she was proud of me. I could hear it in her voice.
2018-07-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

I did the same rating from 1-10 with my wife not so long ago.  At the time my wife was less supportive that I would have hoped. We had the heart-to-heart and she decided that there were more pro's to con's for me doing triathlon. 

I have noticed since then that she has been a lot more supportive.  She used save up chores all week for me to do when I was off work on Saturdays.  Some weeks I would workout for 3-4 hours then spend another 8-10 hours working projects out doors in the summer heat.  She would be frustrated that I didn't finish the projects in one day or that I didn't have time to go do family activities because I had gone and played in the morning (ie. swim, ride my bike, etc) rather than starting on the chores first thing.  Since our heart-to- heart I have noticed a half dozen times when we have looked and projects we wanted to get done I would be thinking in my head I guess this is going to be a rest week because I will only have one hour to workout on Saturday and not the four I was planning and my wife will say "What is your workout for this Saturday?".  I will half shield myself when I say I have a 4 hour workout planned.  Then to my surprise, instead of saying "Well..you are going to have to change your plans because I don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for you to finish this project", she will say "You need to do you training. That is important too.  Don't worry about the project.  We  can work on it over the next few weeks."

So the heart-to-heart sharing goals and setting goals together helps a lot.  It also helps a lot when your wife knows that someone else (i.e. coach Scott) is investing time and effort into my training too.  A few weeks ago on a particularly hard  threshold ride on the bike trainer I resorted to my yell/scream tactics to push through the the final seconds (err minutes) of the intervals and she came out to see if I was okay.  She understands that it isn't all just swimming in the pool with the cool kids and riding your bike over to your friends house to hand out.  I am being pushed to mu limits and then a little past that some times to get better.  If I gave up triathlon I would spend the time I am now spending sitting in the bike saddle getting stronger sitting on the couch getting fatter.  After the heart-to-heart I think she realized that regardless of what we do we are going to get older and that we might as well get older doing things something that will benefit us not just taking shortest path to grey hair. :-)  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2018-07-24 2:55 PM
2018-07-24 3:01 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I don’t train so much by choice, as I have other hobbies that are time consuming and one of these other hobbies is shared with my husband (music, we play in a band together). The other one is golf and we play the occasional round together. So I’d say he’s a 9 on your scale. Not a 10 because he is absolutely not interested in triathlons and only listens politely when I talk about it (no doubt thinking about something else, the way I do when he talks to me about cars!)
We have a 13yo son who is also very supportive but could not care less about tris.
2018-07-24 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I replied in the other thread too.  

I haven't done much triathlon training in the past 3.5 years, so it hasn't been much of an issue.  

How do I know?  Knowing comes from a combination of explicit and implicit communications, and IF there is a conflict between the two, I have to determine situationally which to promote and which to demote.  

I've done 3 IM's, and training for an IM is really a selfish endeavor, so it isn't about maintaining "balance" but about avoiding "catastrophic imbalance."  I didn't do IM's in successive years and used those races as excuses to visit areas we wouldn't normally visit.  Plan a 2 week driving vacation to Yellowstone & Mount Rushmore?  Sure... s-o-m-e-d-a-y....  Plan a 2 week driving vacation for IMCdA June 2009 that includes Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Glacier, etc.?  We made it happen.  

2018-07-25 8:57 AM

User image

One thing I've done is to try and involve my family with my training. If I'm going for a run I will have the kids hop on their bikes and ride with me. If I'm going for an easy ride I might use the fat bike instead of the tri bike so that I can get a bit of a workout in while still riding with the family. I will also start early in the day and meet them somewhere fun for lunch... little things like that can really add up.

It also helps to have a fun destination race! No offense to central Indiana, but the first 70.3 I signed up for was Muncie, after explaining to my wife that we could use triathlon as an excuse to travel. Let's just say she was not as excited to be visiting Muncie as Jerry from Parks and Rec. Fast forward two years and a trip to Mont-Tremblant and she was all for it!

Edit to add the following

This year I've been focusing on mainly riding my gravel bike. I can go 3 hours and not see a car. I mentioned this to my wife and she finally admitted that she was incredibly nervous when I went out for 4-5 hour training rides on paved roads. I've been riding enough that traffic generally doesn't bother me and I never gave it a second thought... I feel much better now knowing that she doesn't have to worry like she did when I was training for an Ironman.

Edited by Toefuzz 2018-07-25 9:01 AM
2018-07-25 9:15 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
This is a very easy one for me. Both of us are multisport athletes. My wife, triathlete and I'm doing primarily duathlons. For most of the biking we train together. Some of the runs are together as well. It is a challenge when we plan our race schedule and there are times we both have to compromise to get the other person the race they really want/need.

It does take some planning and very open communication to make it work. Rest days are always family days for us. Absolutely NO training during that day and plan on something we all enjoy.

What I've seen work really well for friends is to post the training plan in a visible place, this elevates surprises and makes it much easier to plan the week. Also, trying to work around the family schedule by either training early or late (or even during lunch) to free up more family time.
2018-07-25 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I've posted on this subject through the years.  I did my first IM back in 2006.  I've done 11 now, and 12+ half IMs, numerous marathons. There hasn't been a year since 2003 that I haven't been training.

My wife is pretty happy with it overall. We do a lot of destination races.  Hard to argue with Hawaii, Cozumel, Los Cabo races.  She wasn't a fan of Coeur d'Alene.  We did a 3 week road trip to IM Lake Place, which was 8 years ago today (it just came up on my FB memories page).  I did IM Boulder when my daughter was going to CU Boulder at the time. The finish line was 2 blocks from her apartment. 

When my kids were at home (youngest is now 23), I would train when they were doing homework in the evening.  I'd adjourn to the garage and run on my treadmill, or run the neighborhood.  Mostly I needed to reduce the overhead of triathlon training.  A hour treadmill run is better than 30 minute drive to the MUP, hour run, 30 minute drive home.  I also needed to interleave it with family activities.

When I started endurance sports in 2003, my kids were 8, 10, and 13.  My first IM was 3 years later.  It is much easier for parents of kids those ages than for younger kids.  My wife will tell you about being an IM spectator and talking to wives pushing double strollers with a baby and toddler, or having three kids 2, 4, 7.  Those mothers were not happy at those races.  My wife would not have been happy with me being gone for a six hour ride leaving her alone with kids those age every Saturday.

Now we're empty nesters, so there aren't kids activities to work around. Much easier!  

2018-07-25 8:31 PM

User image

Pro

It's different for everybody......just like every facet/phase of triathlon is different.  My family went through a time when I was racing, and then my son and one daughter began racing.  I backed out as my kids got more involved.....then the daughter backed out when she lost interest.  My family found ourselves planning most of our activities around my son's triathlon ambition.  In the course of 5 years we figure it cost us about $60,000 for equipment, travel, coaching, etc. (ETA- forgot swim club expenses for training, meets, travel, etc....add $20,000) Maybe it's a lot of money,  maybe it's not.  I see plenty of parents who spend double and triple that on drug rehab, counseling, etc.....kids are expensive no matter what.  He got to a level where he was top 6 Jr. Elite, ranked #1 AG 16-19, top 3 overall at AG Nationals, blah,blah,blah.  On top of that was HS track and XC.  The end result was a "pro" card for triathlon and a full ride scholarship in a D1 XC and Track program.  Worth it?  Maybe.  Time will tell.  There ended up being some pretty serious jealousy between him and his sisters over the time and money spent on his "career", along with a bit of a rift between my wife and I over priorities. 

Once he went to college it began to balance out with time and money spent on his twin sisters....and next year they go to college too....we let them pick and we will pay for most of it.....so they're ok now.  Kids count everything, yeah?

In a few weeks we will be empty nesters and I'll likely get back to triathlon for the 4th installment over 35 years.  My wife has other interests too (a  horse) so we're pretty happy to not share "hobby time" (both of us are fiercely independent)......especially now that their will be more time available in general. 

Without question, triathlon takes a lot of time with very little payback.....it's likely the reason you see, if you've been around awhile, such up and down trends in the sport.

If you are just starting out my advice is to enjoy it for what it is......you're not going to become a pro......and the reality is nobody really cares about your finish except you.....that includes your family.  The trick is to find a win with your family while you do triathlon....that's where the balance comes from.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-07-25 8:56 PM
2018-07-27 3:10 PM
in reply to: #5246831

User image

Skipped a swim workout this afternoon to keep the wife happy. One workout isn’t going to really affect my performance. I’ve worked out twice a day for the last 5 days in a row. No reason to get greedy. Balance is key.

2018-07-28 12:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by Left Brain

It's different for everybody......just like every facet/phase of triathlon is different. 

In a few weeks we will be empty nesters and I'll likely get back to triathlon for the 4th installment over 35 years.  My wife has other interests too (a  horse) so we're pretty happy to not share "hobby time" (both of us are fiercely independent)......especially now that their will be more time available in general. 

Without question, triathlon takes a lot of time with very little payback.....it's likely the reason you see, if you've been around awhile, such up and down trends in the sport.

If you are just starting out my advice is to enjoy it for what it is......you're not going to become a pro......and the reality is nobody really cares about your finish except you.....that includes your family.  The trick is to find a win with your family while you do triathlon....that's where the balance comes from.

A lot of wisdom/smart experience right there. Exactly right.

PS--I missed the rapture?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Family Happiness and Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

cool weather triathlon

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 1219 Posts: 12

2017-08-08 9:18 AM LundyLund

triathlon bike comparison

Started by tcon123
Views: 2237 Posts: 12

2017-08-20 8:04 AM gsmacleod