General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Timer - OBX Olympic Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-25 8:54 AM

Charlotte, North Carolina
Subject: First Timer - OBX Olympic Tri
Hello!

My name is Ryan and I'm out of Charlotte, NC. Basically my motivation to complete this Olympic Triathlon originated from the fear of turning 30...I'm approaching 29 in two weeks. Also, the Outer Banks is one of my favorite places to visit. As my body is starting to experience acute pain from simply aging, I wanted to do something in an attempt to roll back the years. I stumbled across the OBX Tri while browsing the web, decided to register and figure out the rest later. I would consider myself reasonably fit, but not an endurance athlete by any means.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and reach out to anyone that would be willing to offer advice. I was hoping to possibly connect with someone in the Charlotte area even.

Thanks for reading and have a good one!

2018-07-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: cookkr

Subject: RE: First Timer - OBX Olympic Tri
This platform seems like a great place to source gear as well? I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction...I'm actively trying to acquire everything I may need in a budget friendly fashion. And I'm sure there are items I need that I'm not even aware of.
2018-07-25 10:14 AM

Welcome.
Reasonably fit folks should have no problem pulling off an Olympic length....assuming you're either a runner or have some time to ramp up for it. As well as get in some cycling and swimming.

The swim is usually the binary part of it. If you're not a confident swimmer, you'll want to get confident pretty quick. You can 'limp' your way through the bike and run. Dog paddling through the swim would be brutal. Or if the open water and/or body contact with fellow racers is an issue....that can be the deal breaker.

But in regards to that, I always look at open water swims as "fun". I mean, we spend lots of money to go to lakes, oceans, rivers, etc.....to swim and play in open water. This is just another way to play in open water. It's a mindset for me that works.

And welcome to the madness. I was 10 years older when I started. And certainly was not fit in any way. I've loved every minute of it. I'm still not an endurance athlete. I just play one on weekends.

2018-07-25 10:26 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by cookkr

This platform seems like a great place to source gear as well? I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction...I'm actively trying to acquire everything I may need in a budget friendly fashion. And I'm sure there are items I need that I'm not even aware of.

Yah. I think the best way to look at this is not in terms of "how do I afford everything I want" in my static budget of "$X".

I think the way to look at it is "what do I NEED" based on a budget that will be elastic and periodically have "$Y" in it.

Obviously, the static needs are:
-something you can swim in...and that likely includes some goggles
-a bike and a bike helmet...and maybe you can ride in what you swam in...or not
-something you can run in (including shoes) which may or may not include what you swam in

Bikes can be borrowed, rented or bought relatively cheap. Helmets can be cheap or expensive. I don't recommend super cheap. It's your BRAIN, after all. Kinda important. But no need for anything expensive.

I raced sprints in jammers and t-shirts on my hybrid for a year. Spent very little. I think the best thing I ever bought was a race belt on clearance for like $5. No more safety pins.

Year two, I had budget for a bike and some tri-shorts. The shorts were for added comfort on the bike. Still wore t-shirts.

Ensuing years came new bikes, new tri clothing, new wheels. Doodads. A wetsuit. Older model refurbed Garmin watches. Then later newer models of a Garmin.

You don't need everything at once. Look for what will give you the most bang for the buck as you go. And evaluate that against your budget "in the moment".

And be careful with bikes. That's the major outlay. When I decided I was back into cycling and into tri...I went out and got a mid-tier road bike. Figuring it was more flexible for general fitness, group riding, etc. I should have gone lower tier or used for less money. Because then it took longer to justify spending money again on a tri bike. If I had spent several hundred dollars less on that first bike, I could have gotten my tri-bike sooner.

Edited by jhaack39 2018-07-25 10:28 AM
2018-07-25 12:38 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by cookkr

Hello!

My name is Ryan and I'm out of Charlotte, NC. Basically my motivation to complete this Olympic Triathlon originated from the fear of turning 30...I'm approaching 29 in two weeks. Also, the Outer Banks is one of my favorite places to visit. As my body is starting to experience acute pain from simply aging, I wanted to do something in an attempt to roll back the years. I stumbled across the OBX Tri while browsing the web, decided to register and figure out the rest later. I would consider myself reasonably fit, but not an endurance athlete by any means.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and reach out to anyone that would be willing to offer advice. I was hoping to possibly connect with someone in the Charlotte area even.

Thanks for reading and have a good one!

You’re turning 30 and experiencing age related pain? Wait till you turn 60, you’re in for a real surprise!

Completing an Olympic distance triathlon should certainly be within your reach. You’ll likely be in the middle to back of the finishers, but there is nothing wrong with that. Start slow, go easy and pace yourself.

Just be careful with how “reasonably fit” translates to the swim. For most runners and cyclists it can be quite shocking how little of their aerobic base carries over to the water. Yes, swimming requires fitness but training is very sport specific and performance is very much related to proper technique. You can be a great athlete but be an absolute thrasher in the water and get into serious trouble in a hurry.

I remember my first few trips to the pool when I decided to take up triathlon. At the time I was consistently running sub-40 10K’s without much difficulty. I figured I could just hit the pool and my aerobic base would carry right over. Wrong! I could hardly make it one length of the 25 yard pool without grabbing the side and gasping for air.

So, my advice is if you don’t have a swimming background, respect the water.

There is a lot of great insight on this site, training plans to get started and members willing to help you on your triathlon.. Ask questions and you’ll get lots of feedback. It’s great sport and terrific fun. Welcome!

Steve

2018-07-25 12:42 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome,

What is needed is pretty basic:

An outfit you can swim-bike-run in.  For that race, don't expect changing tents.
Goggles (races will provide you with a swim cap).  
A bike, helmet, and eye protection for the ride.
Shoes you can ride/run in.  

I did my first tri's in swim trunks, running shoes, and a cotton t-shirt and rode my mountain bike.  

If you've got a bike with two wheels, brakes, and no open handlebar ends (some races check this), RIDE IT!  

If you don't have a bike, consider what kinds of riding you'd do.  
Road/tri:  Lightweight, efficient, body position can be uncomfortable, thin tires not so good on gravel or with road debris.  
Mountain:  Heavy-duty frame, suspensions, heavy duty tires, more upright position.  
Fitness/Hybrid:  medium to light frames, decent efficiency, more upright riding position for good visibility in traffic.  

Repeat this mantra:  "There's no such thing as a cheap bike."  That $30 Schwinn you see at the garage sale will cost you far more.  Expect to buy new tires and tubes ($60+) and a tune-up ($75 plus parts and labor for anything that isn't working which can easily turn into $300 or more).  

After the necessities are covered, the list of "wants" is endless.  CO2 inflator or mini-pump, tool kit, race belt, yankz laces, bike shoes, clipless pedals, tri-suit, aero helmet, bike gloves, ...

As for helmets, a properly fitting $25 helmet meets the same standards for head protection as the $90 helmet.  Properly fitting and properly worn is a key.  Keep in mind, at most races, riding without a helmet ANYTIME at the race venue can get you DQ'd!  (I.e. if you're observed riding to your car after the race without your helmet on, you can still be DQ'd.)  

2018-07-25 1:39 PM
in reply to: lutzman

Originally posted by lutzman
So, my advice is if you don’t have a swimming background, respect the water.

This is perfect!
"Respect it."

But don't fear it! It's easy for us as newcomers to pick up on the common 'stories' we hear.
-people reporting on how they 'freaked' a bit in the water and maybe didn't finish
-stories that seem like someone got in a fight in the washing machine with 20 strangers

The reality of those is usually far less dramatic. And certainly far less frequent. And as noobs if we go into it fixated on those things, it's easy for us to expect those things. And create anxiety when, for the most part...when none is really in order. And that just serves to make those things happen.

No need to fear...
But, enough to earn 'respect'.

I like that phrase. A lot.
2018-07-26 8:47 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

Thanks for the insight!

My plan is to take a minimalist approach as far gear goes. The goal is to enjoy the ride and merrily finish. I just want to have the basics covered...hopefully finding some comfort in the discomfort.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Timer - OBX Olympic Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Brandnew Old Timer Here!

Started by SavedScot
Views: 481 Posts: 5

2018-07-25 12:43 PM lutzman

To Tri or Not to Tri

Started by riles32807
Views: 760 Posts: 5

2018-07-14 9:31 AM riles32807

Just did my first tri.

Started by tigerstripe40
Views: 533 Posts: 2