General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Self Conscious - Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-25 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Self Conscious - Bike
Has any of you ever felt self-conscious if you have a really nice bike and use it during a race? I've taken the splurge and found a nice TT/Tri bike with a disc that I just couldn't pass up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not a podium-person (though I'm extremely jealous of those who have that skillset) and just enjoy tris seems it keeps me fit and keeps my sanity in check. I'm coming up on 10 years in this sport and I don't foresee myself giving it up any time soon. This bike is a bit "over the top" for me and I guess I'm feeling like I haven't fully earned the right to ride this thing.

Anyway.....just gremlins in my head......

2018-07-25 12:12 PM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Self Conscious - Bike

I'm more on the other end of the spectrum.  Most races, nobody would look through transition and zero in on my ride as the one to steal.  

You've got a nice bike.  As I see it, you've got 3 choices:

1)  Ride it.  

2)  Sell it.

3)  Display it in your own tiny tri-bike museum. 

2018-07-25 12:18 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by FurnaceM3

Has any of you ever felt self-conscious if you have a really nice bike and use it during a race? I've taken the splurge and found a nice TT/Tri bike with a disc that I just couldn't pass up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not a podium-person (though I'm extremely jealous of those who have that skillset) and just enjoy tris seems it keeps me fit and keeps my sanity in check. I'm coming up on 10 years in this sport and I don't foresee myself giving it up any time soon. This bike is a bit "over the top" for me and I guess I'm feeling like I haven't fully earned the right to ride this thing.

It’s certainly possible you’ll get a few judgemental stares from folks that finish ahead of you. They may wonder if the money might have returned better race results if it had been alternatively invested in coaching or swim lessons. Isn’t that how life goes? But you know what, who cares what’s anyone else says or thinks? If it makes you happy or increases your enjoyment of the sport, go for it. You’re not hurting anyone else. It’ a nice spot to be in to have the disposable income (earned through hard work) to have some money left over to put into your hobby.

I say, ride that bike with pride and enjoy yourself.

Steve
2018-07-25 12:26 PM

Most of us that have been in the sport long enough just plain LOVE bikes, so if yours is a head-turner, so much the better. I've learned from my experience that the bike does not matter too much when it comes to podium placement, it truly is the engine.

Patti
2018-07-25 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
I never felt self conscious about my bike. Get it and enjoy riding and racing with it!
2018-07-25 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
If you have the disposable income, do what you like and on the haters.

2018-07-25 3:10 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I have some REALLY nice bikes, but I'm by far not the strongest cyclist in any race. I've worked really HARD to save up for the bikes I wanted so why wouldn't I use them?

Forget what other people think and only be concerned with what YOU think. If you love the bike, race it!
2018-07-25 4:29 PM
in reply to: audiojan

Funny thing, I used to feel that way because my bike was an old clunker hybrid. I felt like a fish out of water, like "what is that old guy doing here on that bike."
I bought a nice bike a couple years ago. Sure glad I did. When I say nice, I say nice for me. There are far more advanced and expensive bikes out there-the sky is the limit, but I really like it.
So, go for it, and don't worry what others might think!!
2018-07-25 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

If you've got the spare coin to drop on a nice high-end bike, I say rock on!

Myself, I've always used round-tubed framed bikes (Softrides, an old ti bike rumored to have been made by QR for Scott Tinley, and now my own build), and worked on the engine. Ride-wise, I was always near the pointy end and never worried about the small % I was losing to the carbon wunder-bikes in the next rack. Racing comes from the head and the heart. The rest is window dressing.

2018-07-25 8:26 PM

Originally posted by FurnaceM3

Send the bike to me, problem solved
2018-07-26 9:15 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the feedback; some good things to take to heart. I've always been a proponent of "engine first/bike second" and I guess maybe that's why I have this cognitive dissonance. Anyway, I do plan on using it a local sprint this weekend and will definitely enjoy the heck out of it. Happy racing everyone!

2018-07-26 10:47 AM
in reply to: 0

Heck no, I wouldn't get self conscious with a 10 zillion dollar bike. Unless it was like a beam type bike. I think they look funny. Edit: I think I would look funny on one. I'm top heavy. The physics don't seem like they'd work for me.

I have been self conscious:
-testing out a new tri suit on a long training ride...nothing new on race day
-testing out a sperm helmet on a long training ride....nothing new on race day
-wearing a sperm helmet during a race....I figured I'd wear it not for "speed", but if it saved me a couple heartbeats and helped raise my odds of crossing the line, I was gonna do it. I was self conscious.

Oddly, I've not been self conscious rubbing slippery slidey stuff over slippery slidey bits in front of a thousand or more strangers.
And the changing tents? My my, all sorts of oddness I've done in there. And not a soul cares.

Edited by jhaack39 2018-07-26 10:48 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Self Conscious - Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Self Seeding and Cutoff Times!

Started by meggieb
Views: 1098 Posts: 6

2018-03-27 3:49 PM lisac957

Bike Advice..good bike/good deal?

Started by mikeymac
Views: 1202 Posts: 5

2017-11-28 8:38 PM pistuo

How much bike upgrade with new bike?

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 989 Posts: 12

2017-08-25 8:39 AM yazmaster

Road bike to Tri bike conversion

Started by Haych75
Views: 2153 Posts: 5

2017-08-02 3:02 AM Haych75

Hello Self Doubt - so happy you could make it...

Started by Trine
Views: 1174 Posts: 15

2017-11-15 10:55 PM MuscleMomma