Dallas Athletes
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 49m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00 AM. It was overcast, but no rain- YET! My boyfriend came to pick me up at 5:30 AM, and that is when it started to pour down rain. I still packed up my bike though, in case the rain cleared up for the race.

I ate 2 low-fat waffles, and a bacon (vegitarian)/cheese/bagel. I was loading up since I knew I wouldn't be racing for another 2-3 hours. I also took extra food, in case I got hungry before the race.
Event warmup:

It consisted of standing around seeing if the thunder and lightening was going to leave the area, so we could race.

Once the weather cleared up, we were allowed to get in the water to warmup, but I opted out. I figured I would just get in and do it.

The rain had pretty much stopped at this point, but there were clouds and standing water on the road. My transition area consisted of 2 grocery store bags with my stuff in it. I pretty much had the attitude that I would just do what I could do, and not worry about transition times, etc. I was proud of myself for getitng out of the car.
Swim
  • 10m 3s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I jumped into the water when our wave was set to go. SHOCK! It was COLD! the water was COLD! I started to panic a little, as it was hard to catch my breath. This is not like me, as I have never paniced in the water. I quickly told myself to calm down, and I swam around some to get warmed up.

For this race, I positioned myself at the front of the pack. I typically go to the back and the outside, but I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am a fast and solid swimmer. So, in front I went.

The horn went off, and we all started swimming. I was shocked, because I didn't really get hit or kicked. Unfortunately, I started out rather fast, and I quickly had to dial it back some and focus on gliding through the water.

At the second/third bouy, I was tired. Lack of warmup was showing. So, I did some breast stroking and then I got back to freestyle and focused on finishing.

Overall, it was NOT my best swim. My navigation was spot on, but I felt really tired. Still so, I came in 4th out of 24 in my age group, on the swim, so I held my own.

Times that beat mine:
7:23
9:25
9:37
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I would do anything differently. Sure, a warmup would have helped, but getting out of the cold water to stand around wouldn't have helped either.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Getting out of the water... HURT! I was very dizzy and just felt bad. Not like me at all. So, I grabbed my flip flops by the water exit and walked to my bike so I could get my bearings.

I was not concerned about my transition times. Like I said, my stuff was in plastic bags. I just figured I would do what I could and be OK with whatever happened.

When I got to my stuff, I opted to not put on my socks yet, because I didn't want them wet for the run. So, I rode with no socks. Not a big deal though, and no blisters were formed.

In better weather, my transition stuff would be laid out on a towel. Maybe in the future I will run to my bike, but I felt it would serve me best to get myself back together and feeling good before hitting the road.
Bike
  • 57m 41s
  • 18 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out on the bike and I just felt tired. I ate 2 gel blocks, in hopes of getting some energy in my legs.

The course was 2 loops and I rode my race plan. My plan was to haul butt on the downhills and to try to keep a pace that didn't leave me winded. At times I was starting to huff and puff, so I backed off some. I tried to drink when I could remember to, and did a pretty good job of staying on top of it.

After the first loop, I looked at my average, 18 mph, and realized I was going too fast. I needed to save something for the run. So, I tried to back it off some on the 2nd loop. I did an OK job of it, but still kept around a 17.8 mph average.

I'm not sure how they put me going 18+ for my average, but whatever, I will take it! For me, I never break a 16-17 mph average on my training rides. I typically do 15-16. So, anything above 17 mph is impressive for me. I think not stopping really helped to up my avearge!

The whole time on the bike, I was shocked at how much my butt hurt. OUCH! I think if I had gotten to ride on Friday, it might have been better. I was just looking forward to getting off the bike so I wouldn't be hurting anymore.

At the end, when I made my turn, as planned... I slowed down and coasted until T2. I was cooling down and getting ready for the run. I didn't want a side stitch going into the run.

Nothing. I felt tired, but not sure if that could have been fixed. My average was great, and I backed off when I felt too winded. I did not get a side stitch on the bike, so I wasn't working too hard.
Transition 2
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

Did I say that I didn't care about transitions? Well, you can SEE that here! HA!

I put on my shoes and socks and got off my cycling gear. Then off I went. I walked out of T2, until I hit the road with the spectators.
Run
  • 34m 59s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Started walking on the run going out. Then I hit the road with all the spectators, so I ran down the road.

My plan for the run was to simply pick a landmark and run to it, walk, and then pick a landmark and run.... etc. I started my walk/run combo and didn't feel too bad.

About .25 mile into the run, I found a gentleman, John, who was doing the same thing. I pretty much asked if I could run with him, and off we went.

John was my motivator! Let me tell you, he and I kept each other running to our targets. Our pace was even so we did a great job of keeping together. We were able to talk and that was really nice. Made the run go by pretty quick.

I was really proud of myself for running as much as I did. Seeing how I haven't run a mile straight in 5 months, going 3.2 miles with a 11 minute mile pace, is GOOD! Not to mention, in my last tri (April 2006), I ran a 13 minute mile pace, running the entire way.

I also did a good job of keeping my side stitch at bay. It would start to tease me like it would pop up, but I would rub on it and breathe deep, and keep it from flaring up.

John and I hit the final straight away and he said he was going to sprint it, and encouraged me to follow. My boyfriend was on my left yelling at me to keep it up, and John was yelling at me to keep going! Very exciting! The crowd started cheering too! I pumped out what I could as fast as I could. Close to the finish line, I was done for. My side stitch popped up big time, but I ran as fast as I could across the finish line.

I finished knowing that I gave it all I had, and I did the best possible job I could have done.

After crossing the finish line, we got these really awesome finisher towels! I sure needed one too!

Well, fix my running injuries so I can run the entire distance. Once I can run again, I think with my new form, I will be FAST!

Next time, when it doesn't rain, it will be nice to run in my NEW shoes. I ran in old shoes, which wasn't the best, but I didn't want to get my brand new shoes muddy.

Overall, my run was impressive. I have run very little for 5 months, and I did only 2 bricks before race day (2 bricks in 5 months!).

My performance was even better than it was in my tri back in April, and I actually trained with bricks for that one, and put in the running miles (with injuries!).
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, and then packed it up and went home. I was wet, stank, and hungry. Plus, I wanted a nap and I had homework to do.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being able to train for the run. Otherwise, my swim and bike were solid.

Event comments:

Considering what the race planner (Tom Ryan) was up against... rain/thunder/lightening... he did a great job of getting this race to go off. Even though we started late, we still made it happen.

Unfortuantely, the Olympic distance was pretty much scratched, since they had to close off the roads to cyclists at a certain time. I am sure some of those racers were pretty upset about this change.

The volunteers were plentiful and I never felt like I didn't know where to turn/go/etc.

Overall, I had a great race, and considering that I hardly trained for the swim, and didn't train at all for the run (due to injuries), I think I did pretty darn good! I was just lucky to be out there. I have no complaints. Sure, if it hadn't rained, that would have been *perfect*, as rain puts me in a foul mood... but the race went off and I was just happy to be racing!

Last updated: 2006-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:03 | 500 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/24
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: A square course, going clockwise, around 4 bouys, in a canal (psydo-lake).
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:41 | 18 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/24
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:27
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:59 | 03.2 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/24
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Nice run. Got to go on a paved nature path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-17 7:29 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Texasman Sprint Triathlon

2006-09-17 7:44 PM
in reply to: #543859

User image

Regular
Arlington, TX
Subject: RE: Texasman Sprint Triathlon
Karen,

Great job! I thought it was a lot of fun. See you next time.

Mike
2006-09-17 7:47 PM
in reply to: #543868

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
mginani - 2006-09-17 7:44 PM

Karen,

Great job! I thought it was a lot of fun. See you next time.

Mike

Yea! Isn't it nuts how you can find people in crowd that huge!

Where is your race report, can't wait to read it!

2006-09-17 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
There you go. It all worked out just fine...

Like predicted: Strong swim + Solid bike + Good run = Great race!

You made it all happen despite the weather and the "lack of training".

It is a good way to end the season and end it on such a positive note in preparation for next year.

Excellent job...
2006-09-18 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Great job!!  Sounds like you made the best of it!
2006-09-18 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great race and way to stick it out with the weather!

2006-09-18 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
great race. Considering your running injuries, that was an awesome run!
2006-09-18 9:44 AM

User image

Houston, TX

Great Race! Way to beat the weather!

2006-09-18 9:47 AM
in reply to: #543869

User image

Regular
Arlington, TX
Just posted it!
2006-09-18 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia

Great job, Karen.  Angels manifest themselves in all ways, don't they?

On another note, it has been 18 years since my most recent tri but even then, I always seemed to pick up a minute or so on the swim, a mile/hr or two on the bike and even a minute/mile on the run.  Race pace seems to be better simply from the adrenaline/excitement/encouragement, etc...  Don't count on it when planning but relish it in your results.

2006-09-18 11:22 AM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Great job out there considering the weather. 

You did awesome on the run considering you havn't been able to run as much as you liked. 

2006-09-18 7:05 PM

Champion
South Jersey

Hey, awesome job! I am so glad you were able to get in another race before the season ended. Congrats on such a strong swim and bike, and even moreso on having a decent run time considering the injuries you were up against.

I'm sorry the weather couldn't have been better, but it seems like you made the best of it .

Enjoy the off season and work on getting those legs better.

-Lauren

2006-09-18 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Charleston, SC
Great job out there yesterday! The weather really turned out great in the end, and I think the sprint waves left a little early because there was no gap in between the 2 races.

Good luck with the coach, thats a huge improvement already. I actually just joined the A&M triathlon team so I am praying that significantly lowers my run times.

2006-09-18 9:04 PM

Pro
yep,

great job on the race, no pics?   Bummer.  WHy did you never train with the speed you did during the race for the bike I mean.  You had a great pace for the swim and for the bike heck for the whole race.  You made really good time considering your trainign problems. 

Anymore races for you this year? 

2006-09-19 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome job Karen.  Very impressive swim and bike.  Even the run was good for having not trained and walked.  Once you can run the entire way, you will be flying.  Keep up the good work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texasman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed