General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buoyancy Shorts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-26 2:18 PM

Subject: Buoyancy Shorts
Swimming, the demise of many Triathletes, including me.

I need all the help I can get with swimming. ROKA has "buoyancy shorts" that mimic wetsuits. Two questions:
1) Can they be used in a pool swim Triathalon legally?
2) If not, am I short-circuiting myself to practice swimming with them when I cannot use them legally?

Thank you

2018-07-26 2:33 PM
in reply to: nathan_strahl@yahoo.

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: Buoyancy Shorts
1) Can they be used in a pool swim Triathlon legally?
If wetsuits are not allowed, neither are the shorts. They are neoprene and aid in swimming.

2) If not, am I short-circuiting myself to practice swimming with them when I cannot use them legally?
Depends. If you use them all the time, and you races are non-wetsuit, you will have undermined your training.
If the race will be wetsuit legal for sure, no super big issues.

I see it as a decent swim aid on occasion. It's similar to a swim buoy for drills to allow focus on arms and stroke and kind of space out what the legs are doing and if they are floating or dragging. Used to much and your body doesn't have to work to keep your legs up and without the shorts, your lower half sinks and slows you down.

Moderation would be key.
If you swim 3 times a week, maybe use them for one swim workout.
2018-07-27 9:44 AM

User image

Franklin, TN

Just to reiterate what Ryan said, no, they wouldn't be allowed in a pool triathlon swim unless the temperature was wetsuit legal.

I love my Roka shorts but I don't use them very often anymore.  They don't condition you for the rigors of a non-wetsuit swim since they artificially improve your body position without you having to do anything (much like a pool buoy). 

2018-07-29 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
That being said, I live in Wisconsin, where it is more likely to be Wetsuit-Required than warm water, so I race exclusively in a wetsuit. The short (I have Xterra) are great for pool workouts, without overheating. I use them about 50% of the time, if not more.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buoyancy Shorts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What Shorts to buy.

Started by Pshourd
Views: 553 Posts: 3

2018-07-03 10:42 AM toastygloveman

best/favorite tri shorts

Started by bnsafe
Views: 1547 Posts: 11

2018-02-15 12:15 AM HaydenHunter

Tri shorts or bibshorts