General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike aid stations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-27 7:22 AM

User image

Subject: Bike aid stations
So, I'm about 2 weeks out from my first IM 70.3. I'm going to practice my bottle handoff on the bike. I really will only need water that I plan to keep in my BTA bottle. I won't need any food or electrolytes, that will all be in my BTS bottle. So, how does this work? It's IM steelhead and not a multiloop course. So, I'm hoping it will be a bit less crowded than some of the other bike courses.

bike course map for reference has 3 bottle exchanges.
http://www.ironman.com/~/media/a60bbd41d8224ffeb7895cc213721e13/im%...

2018-07-27 7:37 AM
in reply to: jnuger

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bike aid stations
Not sure what you mean by "handoff", but you'll be moving so it will be tough/nearly impossible to try and switch out an old bottle AND pick up a new bottle at the same time unless you are looking to simply throw away your old bottle first.

But to answer your question, when you see and aid station coming up:

a) Slow down and stay to the right
b) POINT at the person holding the bottle that you want to grab and thank him/her
c) Carefully grab bottle
d) Take a thirst quenching swig
e) Place in your bottle cage
f) Off you go!

Now if you want to refill one of your bottles/aero bottle with the new bottle you just grabbed there typically is an area right after all the aid station tables to pull over and do your business (including porta potties with any other "business" you need to do.....lol).
2018-07-27 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
With most races I've done, there will be a discard zone where you can throw an empty bottle (this assumes you're willing to sacrifice a bottle). Then there are either labeled tables or volunteers yelling what they have on offer (electrolyte drink, water, gu, bananas, etc.) and you head past them and grab one. It helps if you are also saying what you want so they know before you try to grab from them.

Not sure about your setup but with some kinds of aerobottles, you can squeeze a water bottle in from the top while riding to refill them; shouldn't be any need to stop to do that.
2018-07-27 8:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I have a Profile Design Aero HC Hydration System, easy to refill. So I'm just planning on refilling and dumping the bottle. Is there enough space to refill it and still dump that bottle before I leave the aid station zone? I definitely don't want a littering penalty.
2018-07-27 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You can do the rolling exchange.  SLOW DOWN, set up the exchange with eye contact (Hint:  look for someone supporting the bottle with their palm up so you can grab it rather than someone "holding" the bottle.  

The drop zone is maybe 1/4 mile, so it might be hard to reflill your tank before you're out of room.  In that case, you might want to stop, refill your tank, and then start again (this might be 30-60 seconds on a 5-6 hour day).  

Alternatively, you can carry the empty to the next aid station and drop it there.  They're usually every 15-20 miles, so you'll hit them every 40-60 minutes.  Do you have an empty holder or will you start with a bottle of water?  

I did Steelhead in 2006.  

2018-07-27 11:03 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Thanks, I won't have an empty cage because I'll have my infinit mix in my BTS cage and I'm going without a cage on my down tube. I'll try to practice getting it filled and dumped within that distance. Thanks. Even if I don't get the last few ounces I should be ok if I take water at every aid station.

2018-07-27 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
1. Already know what bottles, if any, you are dumping and know where the new bottle will go if you are keeping it.
2. Dump any bottles you don't need before you get to the hand off area.
3. Keep you head on a swivel for other riders around you. You may know what you plan to do, but others don't and others may ride more haphazardly.
4. Get on the side for the exchange early. People not getting anything SHOULD be riding the other side to stay out of aid traffic.
5. Slow down. Don't go for the grab at 20 mph. Volunteers may not be very experienced and speeding by may spook them if they aren't already gun shy about the whole process.
6. Figure out if you are going for water or sports drink and find that section visually. Some have water first and others have sports drinks first. Don't miss yours.
7. HAND OUT for the grab fairly early when you spot your bottle. Make eye contact with the volunteer and make sure they know you are going for what they are handing out. Don't grab a bottle from someone not looking at you.
8. Either stash bottle in cage or fill up hydration system AFTER you pass the volunteers to avoid a crash.
9. Fill quickly, slow speed down if you need to, in order to get what you need to hit last chance trash drop.
10. Chuck bottle if not needed.
11. Ride on.
2018-07-28 12:57 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

What's a BTS bottle and what's a BTA bottle?

Bottles get launched and get lost.  I don't race with any bottles I'm not willing to lose, so I don't use expensive ones or souvenirs etc. And I remember the time I hit a speed bump leaving T1 in IM 70.3 Boise.  My "fuel bottle" loaded with CarboPro etc. launch, top popped off, my nutrition plan poured out on the ground.  I was very glad I had brought extra, just-in-case nutrition.

Generally I keep it simple and "live off the land".  I use whatever they're handing out.  I have some GU gels in my jersey pockets and in the Bento box on the bike.  I have a water tank / tube between the aerobars that I use for water and two cages on the back for Gatorade in cheap water bottles. If it's a hot race, I'll put on another cage on the downtube to hold water to pour on myself.

For a 56 mile course, that's 3:00 - 3:30 for me.  So four bottles, maybe five.  I start out with three on board, so I only have to refill the aerobar tank and swap once.  Easy.  I discard the empties as I'm coming into the aid station, grab a bottle, stow it, and keep going.  I don't try to fool around with drinking or anything complicated in the aid station area.  There's just too much going on.

And don't be the fool who flies through aid stations in aero position because you're not stopping. That's just never a safe thing to do.  Sit up, slow down, be prepared. I remember the time a volunteer dropped a bottle, it wedged the tire of the guy right in front of me, and he does a somersault over the bars crash.  I swerved and barely missed him.  I heard later that four bikes went down.

2018-07-28 5:06 AM
in reply to: #5247002

User image

I think I use a pretty similar setup as you... water BTA, Infinit on the downtube. When I’m replacing the water up front I follow the steps already outlined (slow down, point to the volunteer, etc). I also make sure the top of the BTA water bottle is open before I accept the bottle. Every race I’ve done already has the safety seals open so then it’s a matter of quickly squeezing as much as I can out and tossing the bottle into the discard hockey net (or whatever they use... I’m in MI, which is practically Canada so it’s usually a hockey net). You might want to practice it a few times to make sure you can go straight while doing so. Swerving or adjusting your line on accident could end your day or the day of someone else.
2018-07-30 8:45 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

Originally posted by Toefuzz

I’m in MI, which is practically Canada so it’s usually a hockey net).

But, then again, if they don't have a net (or similar target....I've seen some where volunteers knock together a 'bags' like target out of plywood)....
don't "throw" anything.

I thought I was being helpful trying to a "hit" a trashcan, thinking it was one less thing for a volunteer to have to pick up. Not realizing/thinking that there's a volunteer there picking up detritus.....
And a half full water bottle, even with a mild toss is already traveling 15+ miles an hour when you toss it, which adds a few more MPH, which puts a fair amount of velocity on it.

I did not hit him. It came sorta close on the bounce. Enough that I pulled over, sought him out, and apologized on the second lap.
2018-08-07 8:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

It can help, if at all possible, to know exactly what sort of bottle you'll be getting.  Specifically:  (1) How it opens.  And (2) What size it is (especially if it is going to be put into a cage that may or may not be too big to hold it snugly -- I understand that you are not specifically going to do this, but some do).

As I think somebody said, avoid volunteers whose hand appears to be behind the bottle (opposite side to you).  It's best if they are holding it from the bottom or top.  And, as mentioned, slow down.  The difference between 15mph and 5mph for a few meters is meaningless in a long race, but could be the difference between something (or somebody) tumbling and not tumbling.

I prefer not to refill inside the drop zone.  I stick the bottle in a pocket (jersey or whatever) and then once I'm cruising at speed again, I refill.  Then chuck the bottle at the next station.  That's just my preference.  I don't like to be trying to get all that done in a short space and be looking out for riders who may be (often are) all over the road at that point in the race.  (If I'm basically alone, then of course it's a different story and I might go ahead and refill right away in that case.)

Edited by Experior 2018-08-07 8:48 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike aid stations Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Advice..good bike/good deal?

Started by mikeymac
Views: 1197 Posts: 5

2017-11-28 8:38 PM pistuo

How much bike upgrade with new bike?

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 984 Posts: 12

2017-08-25 8:39 AM yazmaster