GB
21C / 70F
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 27m 52s
Overall Rank = 343/390
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 261/284
Pre-race routine:

I knew I hadn't trained anywhere near enough this year as only swam about 5 times, cycled on average once a week and ran maybe once or twice a week but not far. There had been no structure to it and no real effort put in. Looking back this was definitely not the way to go about it but had struggled for motivation since breaking my collar bone after getting knocked off my bike last year. I also hold FIFA partly responsible as was very inconsiderate of them to put a World Cup on leading up to the race forcing me to watch nearly all the games whilst drinking beer! However as it was my first Olympic distance as long as I finished it would be a PB.

Got up at 6am and eat some porridge whilst trying got work out if I had forgotten anything even though I had checked the check list loads of times. Got in the car and headed off in the rain to Salford Quays which was about an hours drive away. Once there I found registration spotted a volunteer I know from masters swim had a quick chat and then picked up race pack, went back to car set bike up and walked to transition. By this point it was really raining heavy so didn't get anything out of my bag and just kept it covered as didn't really want went shoes. Went back to car and changed into tri-suit, must remember to take of child locks off as then had to perform a rather strange move to get into the front of the car to get out, got changed into to wetsuit and headed back to transition to put car keys in bike bag. The rain was even heavier now and I part expected to see Noah's Ark go by any second!
Event warmup:

Did mass warm up with all the others in my wave and then jumped in the water!
Swim
  • 31m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Jumped in the water and was shocked at how warm it was! Put myself at the back and went on the hooter. Just took it easy and was going well and overtaking a few people. This changed when I got a kick in the chest which took my breath away and after that struggled to breath properly for the rest of swim. Kept having to swap between front crawl and breaststroke. Didn't have to worry about sigting as could see the walls of the dock on my rightside and as long as I kept them there when doing front crawl I knew I was swiming in a straight line.

The second lap seemed to go on forever as my complete lack of swim fitness started to manifest itself and was also staring to over heat, had to pull my wetsuit down at the front just to get some cool water in, my left hamstring was wanting to cramp when doing breaststroke so had to give up on that and just do frontcrawl but slowly, good news the end was getting closer. Never been happier to put my feet on the ramp to get out.
What would you do differently?:

Would have swam considerably more as know if I had swan at least once a week it would have been alot quicker and more enjoyable. Shame as swimming was a few years back my strongest discipline
Transition 1
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

Got out in a bit of a stagger and heard a friend shouting at me telling me I was doing great and to get myself moving. This gave me the push to jog to to tranistion which was a couple of hundred metres away. Couldn't go much quicker as the pavement was tiled and slippy. Got to my bike and had a couple of shot blocks, whilst trying to put my socks on my calfs were wanting to cramp, very strange as never had this before. Everything on and like bambi on ice headed to the mount line

not sure, the heavy rain didn't help and not done enough triathlons to really be able to break it down.
Bike
  • 1h 41m 21s
  • 40 kms
  • 23.68 km/hr
Comments:

An 8 lap course. I am a fair weather cyclist and usually try to avoid cycling in the rain so wasn't full of confidence heading out and also wanted to enure that I had something left in my legs when it came to the run.

Felt I was going ok but wasn't taking the corners quickly or the roundabouts, it didn't help that the road surface wasn't the best in places. I was constatly being overtaken and what annoyed me was groups of three or four riders going past closerly together with no space between them. On one occasion when I did manage one of my small number of overtakes and went to the right to pass I had someone start shouting at me on the right I am overtaking get out the way, not sure where he wanted me to go and then he sprouted some rubbish as he want past. I told him what he could do and what I thought of him and was chuckling to myself when another cyclist went past and told me I had done nothing wrong and to keep going strong. Nice touch I thought. Anyway I digress!

The course was straight forward loop with a main road bridge to cross where you had to ride on the right as the left hand side was more suited to a mountain bike with uneven road surface and potholes. The route back to transition was over a footbridge into the centre of media city but the surface after the bridge was stone flags and this for me not fun as I found them to be very slippy and with the wind made me go at a snails pace to ensure I stayed upright.

On lap five I came acroos a group of about 7 geese crossing the course in front, I had spotted them in good time to be able to slow down enough to navigate them but the women in front nearly rode into them and had a big wobble and I was amazed she didn't hit the deck. Certainly wasn't what I was expecting to see.

Was happy to see the end of the bike course and the rain as it had just stopped as I was heading into to transition.

Trained more instead of my lesuirely rides on a Sunday morning and actually had some focus to the training. But I was happy with what I did as couldn't have gone faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Hit transition and felt like my legs belonged to somebody else and the wet floor with cleets on didn't help for anything other than a brisk walk to my spot. had a couple of shot blocks, put trainers on a headed off. Saw the person I knew marshalling and she said some kind words.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 08m 42s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 52s  min/km
Comments:

Set off and felt comftable then look at my watch as saw that I was running far too quickly so dialed it back to ensure I would not be crawling over the finish line. I found someone in front of me that was running the same pace so kept following them. On the way back in on lap one I saw my wife and son and it was the best feeling in the world, went over to them to give my son a hug and nearly fell over.

The laps were consitant and due to the nature of the out a back course I saw my family twice per lap and my son would run with me for 50m each way which was great and made me push. Also as they could see half the course I pushed so that I didn't walk where they could see and only walked over the bridge. At the end of each lap was a water station where I would drink a little and poor the rest over my head as the tempature had shot up after the rain had gone.

On the last lap my back and shoulders were really starting to hurt but that was bearable as I knew I only had 2.5k to go.

Runing over the finish line was great and worth all the effort as I had done it.

Trained more but happy with the time considering what my stand alone 10k times have been leading up to this.
Post race
Warm down:

drink of water and some photos with the family, then to trainsition to pick bike up and load the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and more importantly structured training, but it had certainly helped me focus on what I need to do in future on what I need to work on. I knew it wasn't going to be fast and considering what trianing I had done I was happy with it and even though at times it hurt I loved it and was buzzing at the end.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed and very well organised, shame the surface of the road for the bike wasn't the best but then where in the UK is! Great atmosphere and shame about the rain as imagine more people would have come out to watch if it hadn't been torrential.

Last updated: 2018-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/284
Overall: 0/390
Performance: Below average
Suit: Hubb
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:41:21 | 40 kms | 23.68 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:08:42 | 10 kms | 06m 52s  min/km
Performance:
Course: 4 laps run out and back over a bridge and round the Quays
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2018-07-30 5:43 AM

User image

Subject: Salford Triathlon

2018-07-30 8:41 AM
in reply to: #5247090

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Salford Triathlon
Great race all things considered! Hope you had fun!
2018-07-30 8:41 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
thanks for your report, I enjoyed reading it.
I agree with you about the FIFA, so rude of them to put a World Cup in the middle of your training! and rude of the England team to stay in it so long too!
well done on your Oly PB!
2018-07-31 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Great job Tom! Racing on wet roads is no fun at all, i don't envy you that.  

2018-08-01 10:26 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Nice work, Tom!  Racing in pouring rain is never fun but it sounds like you made the best of it, congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Salford Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri-ing for Children's Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 1028 Posts: 1

2017-07-31 7:42 AM stevestenzel

Burley Lions Spudman Triathlon

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1463 Posts: 3

2017-08-03 10:16 PM trijamie