General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » back to tri again Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-08-03 7:51 PM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Subject: back to tri again
Hi all, I think my old post didn't take. I'm a 47 year old mom of two (ages 6 and 5) and in 2010 I joined BT in the hopes of doing a few sprints. I managed some running races up to two half marathons, but then I had my kids and a few job changes and really left all of my fitness and self care behind me. I managed to discover the zoot westchester super sprint coming up this september, AND I found a free online training plan for this distance, so I am jumping back in! I am currently a pretty slow athlete, and the water part scares me. I only swim in a pool that is under 5 feet the whole distance. Deeper water makes me panic, but I know I have to get over that! I don't really have any open swim water buddies, so I'm not sure how to go about practicing in open water before the event. There's also a good chance I'll be using my Brompton as it's my only bike. I have a tri suit and regular sneakers. What else do you all recommend I get without breaking the bank. I'm planning on renting a wetsuit. Thanks in advance all!

Oh, and I'm also doing the Central park duathlon Labor Day weekend- figured it will be a good start to the event later in the month.

Good to be back with y'all.

2018-08-04 1:19 PM
in reply to: shaptavajra

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: back to tri again

Welcome back!  

Use what you've already got!  As long as that Brompton is safe to ride/race (bar-ends plugged, functioning brakes), ride it!  

I used to teach swimming lessons.  Your fears are the same ones the 5-year-olds have!  

Step 1 for overcoming deep water fear:  Embrace that you are only using the top 2-3 feet when you swim!  It doesn't really matter how much water is between the part you use and the bottom.  

Step 2.  Get out into deeper water, first in a pool, then hopefully in something a little murkier.  It's summer time here in the US, it's worth a few $$ to go to a public pool with a diving area and gain some confidence (check the YMCA, they may have a daily pass or give you a courtesy pass).  Go off the diving board (a bunch) so you're experienced being far under water and still getting to the surface.  Go to a swimming beach (maybe even the race venue).  

Re-think the wetsuit.  Yes, the buoyancy helps with your confidence, but the constriction may very well cause you even more anxiety.  

Get in the water before the race and get those jitters out before the gun goes off.  

I looked up your race.  The super-sprint advertises that the swim is in "shoulder-deep" water (usually in the low 70's)!!  (Not that now isn't a good time to get more comfortable with deep water.)  

2018-08-04 7:14 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Subject: RE: back to tri again
Thanks so much for your comments! Yes, I am trying to figure out a way to get to Rye to swim. Do you think in the low 70s water temp I shouldn't do a wetsuit? I laugh at the "shoulder deep" statement because I am five foot nothing and I'm thinking, shoulder deep for WHO, exactly. All the same, i did specifically choose this sprint to start because it looks like the shortest imaginable distances and the shallowest water for a first tri...

My Brompton is pretty new and I just love it, and I almost never ride it in its top gears (5th and 6th) in city communities, so I think she's got a bit of fight in her.

Hoping I can find a a tri- minded companion for some open water swims! Thanks again
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » back to tri again Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Back again

Started by Mens Et Manus
Views: 456 Posts: 2

2018-07-03 1:39 PM rrrunner

New Again

Started by Oggi
Views: 594 Posts: 2

2018-01-04 10:08 AM jhaack39

Back to triathlon!