General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scared Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-08-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: Ann3

Subject: RE: Scared
Originally posted by Ann3

I just want to Thank all you great people for your advice and support. I finished my first sprint triathlon and managed to come in 3rd for my age group!! There may have been only 3 in my 60-64 age group. Not really sure but, I will take it!!! Thanks so much I'm glad I didn't drop out!! I have you all to thank for this accomplishment!!??

If there were 3 in your age group....
That just means that hundreds of thousands didn't even bother to line up to begin with.

Don't thank us. You were the one that put one foot in front of the other until the end.

Now comes the real challenge. How to deal with being HOOKED on all this.

2018-08-20 7:42 PM
in reply to: Ann3

User image

Congrats on your first tri and a podium to boot! When's the next one?

J White
2018-08-20 8:01 PM
in reply to: Jwse30

User image

Pro

Nice work....TRULY!!  My 71 year old uncle, who has been doing triathlon off and on for 30 years, got his first podium award last weekend when he finished 2nd in his AG.  Overall he was 235 out of 238.....and he was beaming!!!

2018-08-24 8:43 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Left Brain

Nice work....TRULY!!  My 71 year old uncle, who has been doing triathlon off and on for 30 years, got his first podium award last weekend when he finished 2nd in his AG.  Overall he was 235 out of 238.....and he was beaming!!!

I did my first triathlon as a young man.  I was in the prime of my health and was hoping to beat lots of people. 

Well...things didn't go my way and I placed 7th out of 8 in my age group 58th out of 68 in my gender and 63rd out of 90 over all. 

I did beat a guy that looked like he was about 71 years old.  After I finished the run I looked back to see if I was the last person in of if anyone else was still out then and I saw him still out on the run course.  He may have been LeftBrain's dad.  There was a gal and a guy who looked to be about 20 years old that I passed on the run in the last few miles.  I over heard the gal say to the guy as I passed them "The next time we do one of these we should actually do the training".   So...I beat a guy who was three times my age, some young folks that didn't do their training for the race, and that was about it.  As I crossed the finish line it felt amazing.  I couldn't have been more satisfied with how I didn't if I had won the race.  When I started out to do my first triathlon I didn't know how well I would do. It was a bigger challenge than I had ever undertaken. Setting my mind to finishing and then when things didn't go my way sticking with it and making it to the finish line was a really great moment.  We all look ridiculous in our first race.  Many of us will come in last in our first race, but it is still worth it.  The good news is that everyone else there felt the same way on their first race so they are all pulling for you and support you 100%.      

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scared Rss Feed  

of 2