General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women's tri suit advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-08-04 11:33 AM

Subject: Women's tri suit advice
Hi all, I've recently been bitten by the triathlon bug and done a reasonable number of tris this year however my current tri suit is driving me mad. It's a Zone 3 with the integrated sports bra so has two zips at the front, and the zips rub at the top of my chest whilst running. It was only quite cheap and I was thinking of upgrading next year anyway so wandered if anyone has any recommendations on tri suits that don't rub? Or maybe any good triathlon stores with a large selection that I can go any try on? I've seen the open backed ones online so does anyone have any experience of these? Concerned about any zips at the front because the scrubs I wear at uni have a seam in the same place as the tri suit and they also rub! Sensitive skin problems!!

2018-08-04 2:42 PM
in reply to: Rosie1996

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Women's tri suit advice
I've been happy with all the 2XU suits I've had. Maybe a step up in price from what you have now but definitely not the most pricy on the market. If you shop online, you can often get a 2016 or 2017 model at a discount. Some have the integrated bra if you like that (usually only works for smaller women's sizes in the 32-34 A/B range though); some (mostly the compression models) don't. I have a sleeveless suit with integrated bra, a sleeveless compression suit without bra, and a (new) sleeved compression without bra. All fit great, no chafing. All have a single front zip (the integrated bra does not zip); easy to get in and out of. I don't recall any rubbing and I have really sensitive skin. If worried, use some body glide in the area. Would recommend finding a sports bra that gives you sufficient support without zips or metal stuff, if at all possible. That stuff rubs. Actually Walmart has some pretty good options in most sizes!

I don't recommend a backless tri suit or a suit with a lot of exposure in the back, especially for anything over a sprint, because you will really burn! You would be trading one problem for another. I was really happy with the sleeved suit--wore it for the first time in a half ironman last week and it was the first time I didn't end up with sunburn. It was also comfortable on all three legs.
2018-08-04 9:54 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It can be hard to find a retail store with a lot of suits to try on, even if you live in a major metro area with a big tri scene, and pretty much impossible if you don't. Most stores seem to carry only one or two brands in limited sizes, particularly for women. You'd probably be better off finding an online retailer with a good return policy. I tried to check who I got my last suit from but have lost the e-mail. At any rate, you can find some places using Google and then compare their prices, selection, and return policies.

Look carefully at the sizing charts. I know....not sure who they are written for! At least in my case, I never seem to match up with one particular size. For my last suit, I appeared to need an XS in one dimension, M in another, and S in the other. Decided to split the difference and order the Small, and it actually fits perfectly! I would probably go with chest size unless really pear-shaped--it seems like having the top too tight or too loose could cause the most problems with the swim, and breathing in general for all events if too tight!
2018-08-05 8:16 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

That's great thanks for the advice! Hadn't thought about sunburn so that's a good point! Definitely not something else my skin needs!! I'll have a look for the integrated sports bra ones with no zips and at the 2xu ones, thanks for your help!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women's tri suit advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OWS: Tri suit? Or Swim Suit?

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 900 Posts: 2

2018-07-25 10:03 AM brucemorgan

Speed Suits For Swimming

Started by Embrace_endurence
Views: 562 Posts: 4

2018-04-10 8:04 AM Hot Runner

wet suit