Wisconsin Triathlon Series
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 35s
Overall Rank = 328/747
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 20/47
Pre-race routine:

I opted not to follow my previous pre-race routine of scarfing down ten pieces of pizza just prior to the start of the swim. Instead, I woke up at my brother's in Madison at 5AM, jumped into the truck and ate two bananas and several Powerbar/granola-type bars (note to Powerbar, I will be very specific with what I'm eating and how much it helps me when I see some sponsorship dollars) and washed it down with a Gatorade. It was thundering and lightning the whole drive up, but it stopped raining right about the time I rolled into Devil's Lake.

Check-in was a breeze, although they probably could've used some auxillary lighting until the sun came up. The Clydesdales probably had the best transition location, which meant we had to minimally push our bikes through the transition area. Since I showed up first, I camped out on the end of the rack. I probably went to the bathroom about four times, trying to get every last bit of unnecessary weight out and probably thinking about the "is it ok to pee on myself" threads I was reading last week and wanting to avoid that.
Event warmup:

I stretched out for a while, but we went off in waves, with the Clydesdales going out in the 10th wave of the morning. I think the elites were done before I even got on the bike. The wind was brisk and kept things cool, but not unbearably so. The sun came out shortly after and really made for great weather, except for the damp roads and strong wind.
Swim
  • 06m 4s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

It seemed like everyone was searching for the right strategy on how to complete the course. There were those that stuck with swimming, but after trying a few different combinations, I went with what I now call the Devil's Lunge. I basically push off the bottom with my right foot and take two strokes and repeat it (much to the dismay of my right plantar facia). Amazingly, I emerged in front, although not by much. I somehow emerged first in our group, which is probably the last time that will ever happen.
What would you do differently?:

I'd go with the Devil's Lunge from the get-go
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

It seemed like the transition went about as well as could be expected, although there was a little back-up where we mounted the bikes

Buckle my helmet before running with the bike
Bike
  • 58m 24s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I carried too much speed into one turn and the brakes wouldn't respond. Rather than try to make the turn, I continued going straight, hard on the brakes until I stopped in front of a volunteer car parked at the corner, backed up and continued on. That was the only turn I messed up, but I'm glad I didn't wipe me or anyone else out.

The chain also popped off the rear sprocket on one of the downhills, which freaked me out, but I was able to get it back on by shifting. Top speed of the day was 48.1 mph, although I hit 48 flat on the first big downhill. I did have some trouble with shifting, especially getting back into the big gear up front at the top of hills.

More hill training
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Pretty smooth here. Racking on the end really helped speed things up for me.

Not much
Run
  • 29m 46s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, as usual, this is my weakest area. I decided to run all the downhill areas and walk the uphills. With a little more training, I probably could've jogged more of the flat areas that I ended up walking. I did save enough that I was able to run/jog the final section in, where everyone was watching. That seemed like a good half mile or so. This is the best pace I've run to date though, so I'm pretty pleased with that.

This is the tough call for me. Limiting my running prior to the race makes my body happy, but hurts my race day performance. I'm not sure I want to do more running prior to a race, adding that wear and tear on my body, just for the sake of a better finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Dumped some water on my head, drank some water, walked around a little bit and had a nice lunch with TriDDS and Mrs. TriDDS (I don't think Jeanne has a screen name)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could've trained more/harder and sought out more hills in my training.

Event comments:

Very well-run. This was the hardest course I've done, but I put just right, because I don't mind the challenge. I'd do it again!

Last updated: 2006-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:04 | 440 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/47
Overall: 7/747
Performance: Good
Suit: XXXL Ski Warm shorty
Course: The course was very similar to what I swam on Friday and very shallow. As we watched the other waves head out, we noticed lots of people walking the entire distance.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:24 | 15 miles | 15.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/47
Overall: 520/747
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: The hilliest course I've ever ridden, but lots of speed on the downhill sections. Pretty rough in sections, especially the downhill coming back into the park, where some hidden bumps could send someone flying if they were carrying too much speed.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:46 | 03 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/47
Overall: 613/747
Performance: Below average
Course: Somewhat hilly course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-17 8:08 PM

User image

God's Country (WI)
Subject: Devil's Challenge Triathlon

2006-09-17 8:14 PM
in reply to: #543896

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Subject: RE: Devil's Challenge Triathlon
Great race! 48.1 MPH on the wet downhills is scarry!
2006-09-17 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Great race! 48.1 MPH on the wet downhills is scarry!
2006-09-18 8:50 AM

User image

Good meeting you yesterday. Great race. Look forward to seeing you again.

Aron
2006-09-18 10:15 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Nice race!!  I was laughing at TriDDSs description of the two of you basically towering over the water.  You guys still doing Tuesday rides?  I am about half a mile from your starting point.
2006-09-18 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
great job on a challenging course. I like the devil's lunge on the swim. I wonder if you can get that trademarked.

2006-09-18 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
You can get division results by going to the search page and only selecting your division and then hitting search. And, then you can sort them by each column. Nifty, eh?

It was a good race. I had a lot of fun, even if I did freeze my butt waiting for wave #13.
2006-09-18 4:59 PM
in reply to: #544949

User image

I am having trouble findin detailed stats. Where are you finding the division selection. I can only find overall results and results by name. A link to the page you are using would be a great help.

AJ
2006-09-18 5:01 PM
in reply to: #544949

User image

Never mind I found it. The mouse is a wonderful thing. Duh!

Aj
2006-09-18 9:55 PM

User image

God's Country (WI)
Nice to meet you AJ! Thanks for the search tip Deanna. It still took me five minutes to figure it out, but I did....eventually

I told TriDDS to let me know if they were going to do any more rides this year. I've still got the itch and I'm thinking about Whitewater. Don't know if I'm going to scratch it yet or not.
2006-09-19 6:54 AM
in reply to: #545266

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Whitewater? What's happening in Whitewater?

2006-09-19 8:17 AM

User image

I was looking at Whitewater too. The swim is in a pool. Jim, you might not be able to touch the bottom on the deep end! LOL.

AJ
2006-09-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: #545381

User image

God's Country (WI)
I don't know much about Whitewater, other than it's an indoor swim and it might be on October 1st.
2006-09-27 8:06 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Great job fellow Clyde! "Top Swimmer in the Division!"

Just re-read your RR - "The Devil's Lunge" will go down in Lore.

Whitewater is this weekend, but I am not. It is Elkhart Lake for a little Birthday and Bike ride - I think 33 miles for the 33rd would be nice - all are invited.

Deanna thanks for the search advice!
2006-09-27 8:24 PM

User image

God's Country (WI)
I'm probably good for celebrating about half of those years with you on a bike. It would probably have to be a Saturday morning ride too, with the way my schedule is shaping up for the weekend. If that works for you, I can call Aaron and see if he's interested.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Devil's Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed