United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 00m 36s
Overall Rank = 686/
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 79/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, scarfed down a plain bagel with peanut butter and had a banana. Thankfully given the 1 hour time difference I wasn't too exhausted and was ready to hit the road by 5am. I'd heard horror stories about the traffic and having to rush to transition so I wanted to make sure I was there by 5:30 which would allow me time to relax, hit the lue and get a short warmup in.
Event warmup:

Having taken a full 2 days off before the race I was a little tight. I went for an easy jog, did my squats and lunges and also managed an easy 5 minute swim. I forgot how different swimming in a wetsuit is but more on that later...
Swim
  • 37m 56s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

I'd been swimming more in training so I was excited to see how this would go. I was shooting for 35 mins but when I heard it would be wetsuit legal, I figure I could beat that for sure. Gun goes off and instead of being smooth and relaxed like I'd worked on, I felt like I was swimming with a life jacket around my waist. I guess that's supposed to make swimming easier but I only wear my wetsuit when I race and rarely use a PB in the pool so to say I felt uncomfortable and awkward is an understatement. There was some pretty good contact out there and after flailing my arms for 37 mins I finally felt the bottom. I was discouraged when I saw my time but I figure it was time to get to work and make it up on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

This is a tough one for me. Maybe it's my wetsuit, lack of practice in it or just not being a great swimmer. At the moment I'm thinking maybe I should try a sleeveless one but feeling like I was wearing a sumo suit, which definitely made me more buoyant, was not a fun feeling
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Ran up to the wetsuit strippers, then shoes on, sunglasses and helmet on and off I went. It was a decent run up to the bike mount line but I always feel better knowing my cleats are on and I don't have to worry about successfully doing a flying mount.
Bike
  • 3h 20m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Legs were feeling good and I was ready to rock. Both my HRM and cadence sensor decided they didn't feel like working so I was going at it blind (or naked). This was not an overly hilly course and the miles were flying by. My first 5 splits (25 miles) were 24.2, 24.4, 21.7, 19.7, 29.3mph. Right around mile 30, I notice my rear tire slipping and as much as it pained me I pulled over and realized I had a flat! I've changed a flat tire but it was about 2 years ago and in my garage as practice. I stood there for a good 2 minutes then realized no one was around to help so I had to go at it alone. I knew I had a flat kit but couldn't remember if I had the right stem, if my CO2 would work, etc. Anyhow, after what felt like 20 minutes I got the new tube on and everything felt hard enough to get back on the saddle. Next 10 miles after the ordeal were 25.1 and 22.2mph. I was determined not to let this ruin my race and I was working hard to catch all the people that blew by me. And then I get that unstable feeling in my wheel again. I pull over, look down and my rear tire is flat AGAIN. Sh*t! I'd already completely emptied my flat kit and I didn't know what to do at this point. So I started walking, and walking and walking. I finally found a cop who offered to call some help. After standing on the side of the road for a good 15 mins, I decided to keep walking. I developed a pretty nasty blister by this point and was so annoyed I was debating even doing the run at this point. Finally support came and I was back in business. This whole ordeal cost me about an hour in total and man was I happy to roll into transition in 1 piece.
What would you do differently?:

I got my bike serviced before this race so I'm really not sure if there was anything I could have done to prevent this. I'll definitely be practicing changing a flat before I get back out there but I'm chalking this one up to bad luck.
Transition 2
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

I talked myself into doing the run even though in my head I'd convinced myself I'd be the last one to cross the line. I wasn't rushing at this point so got my gear on and off I went.
Run
  • 1h 55m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

It was pretty hot at this point and given my mental state I wasn't pushing myself the way I was hoping to. I took this one pretty easy and just told myself to get it done in under 2 hours, assuming I wasn't kicked off the course/it was shut down! I definitely wasn't alone out there which helped but my mental state was so thrown off I had a hard time getting some speed in my legs.I met some nice people along the way and enjoyed a cramp free run.
Post race
Warm down:

Came across the line and given my somewhat easy run I felt pretty good. I grabbed some food then slowly made my way back to my hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above :)

Event comments:

This was a beautiful and fun course with absolutely awesome volunteers! I hope I get a chance to try redeem myself here.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2018-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:56 | 1900 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: