Tri-Maine
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 40s
Overall Rank = 196/323
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 7/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 5:45am. Had my normal breakfast of two pieces of toast and coffee. Drank gatorade on the way. Showed up about 40 minutes before the race.
Event warmup:

Swam for 5 or so minutes. Puked four times from the smell of the porto-potty (see post on wierd things about me).
Swim
  • 29m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went for a leisurly swim. Never got my heart rate up and barely kicked until the end. The second turn buoy was right into the sun so on the second leg I spent half of it with no clue if I was head in the right direction. But other than that it was a non stressful fun swim.
What would you do differently?:

maybe remember while I'm out there that it is a race and pick up the pace a little.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

I need to learn how to get the wetsuit off quickly without sitting. I also need to learn to get on my bike with my shoes already clipped in. But, there is always next year to figure that stuff out.

not much based on my current level of skill and speed.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to re-gear my rear cassette for the rolling hills. I don't have enough big gear to keep my cadence up on any hill so I not only get smoked by anyone going up a hill, I have way too much acid in my legs to power over. On flats and going down I'm fine as I'm blowing by just about everyone. But anyway, I still had fun.

The owner of one of our local tri-shops (Mid-Coast) told me to bring my bike in this week and he'll change out the rear cassette for me to help me out with my lack of hill speed and cadence.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

My bike is too big to quickly rack it by the seat, which I prefer to do. I probably should have take some ecaps before the run. I didn't because I thought I took enough nutrition on the bike to make it through the run ok.

Take Ecaps and maybe a gel
Run
  • 55m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Easy pace. Only walked briefly at 2 water stations just so I could get the water in me. Due to my recent lack of training I was in no rush to hurt myself and I probably couldn't go much faster anyway. I was comfortable the whole time and for being really slow it felt like it went by pretty quickly.

At 5 miles I decides to pick it up and finsh strong. That proved to be a little mistake as about a 1/2 mile later my left hamstring locked up. I limped a little and banged it out and slow back down the pace. As I entered the park my right hamstring locked up. I heard one spector say "Oooo...that's gotta hurt"....we'll duh...Anyways I limped a little banged it out and shuffled to the finish.

Ecaps and train for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to a shady tree and drank a couple of bottles of water and cheered on the other athletes while chatting with Mike (MikeJ). Refueled with Lobster and multiple beers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had planned on this being my A event for the year.

A few weeks ago my daughter had a medical emergency which required two surgeries and about a week stay in the hospital. I stopped training and didn't plan to race again this year until about a week ago when I decided suck it up and just do it. So it wasn't the performace I was hoping for when I started to train for this event 4 months ago. But, I was glad that I got out there and competed.

On a side note, I wanted to thank MikeJ, Huskeyboy, and Maureen for their thoughts and well wishes over the past month. Without you guys I would have never gotten to the starting line for this race.

Event comments:

Well organized. A great venue and awesome lobster bake and FREE BEER!!!!

Last updated: 2006-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/18
Overall: 266/323
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: U-shaped in the ocean. The race director said the water was 68 but I call Bravo Sierra on him. It was more like 61 degrees.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:28 | 24.85 miles | 19.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 152/323
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: rolling hills through the beautiful Maine countryside. A very enjoyable and scenic ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:29 | 06.21 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 200/323
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-17 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: The Lobsterman Triathlon

2006-09-17 9:07 PM
in reply to: #543904

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: The Lobsterman Triathlon

Congrats on the nice race and making it to both the start/finish lines

especially given what you've been through in recent weeks!

I had heard good things about this race, but you shared the best:

lobster and beer!  Very nice, indeed. 

2006-09-18 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

Jeff

Great job, especially considering the lack of training time you had over the last month!

Lets keep in touch over the off season and try to get in some bike rides before the weather gets too cold.  Mike.

2006-09-19 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Maine

There was free beer?! Sorry I missed it...

Great job at this race Jeff - a seriously impressive accomplishment with all you've had to deal with in the past month. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Lobsterman Triathlon Rss Feed