Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 12/49
Pre-race routine:

9/12/06 Pre race Goals: FUN FUN FUN!!
Competing in Clydes - swim 8:00-8:30, bike 45-47, run 28:30
Total ~1:27:00 - 1:30
Let's See!

Pretty close guess!

Went to Kalahari the day before and then to a friends place 50 mins away. WE crashed there and I slept on the floor. Woke up to OJ and customary Pop Tart - the breakfast of champions. Drove in and set up
Event warmup:

Nothing, just got the transition set up and ran around with little man a bit - he was cold so we went inside. Had some hammer gel and went to the water
Swim
  • 06m 6s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

"Swim" HA HA HA. I swam maybe 150 yds at most. Being 6'8, when I dove in on the way to the buoy, I hit the ground. Then I dove in and swam the last 10 yds? to the first buoy, stood up and jumped past it and swam maybe 50-75 yds. I felt and saw people around me and could not gain a groove, hard to do in the cold waves and tuff to stroke when my arm on occasion would hit lake bottom. So I stood up and walked and got ahead of everyone and dove in again. I felt them catching again, so I stood and lunged forward and walked and got ahead and dove in for about 15 strokes. Saw people catching me and then realized I was moving FASTER than eveyone just flat out walking! SAD and very ashamed to admit it but I WALKED half the swim and took 2nd in my wave, 10th overall, by only a mere second or two to another BT'r, XH2OSkier, who at 7 ft had the same great walking technique in the end.
What would you do differently?:

Would like to swim more but taking 2nd by walking!?!?!?! Why change anything! The course was the same for everyone so it is not like I cheated, but I feel awful and am still laughing at this segment. How can one not laugh! 10th overall of 747!

Godd navigation and breathing and everything cause I was not winded and could see everything clearly. but as for swimming -
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Slight issue with suit, not bad. Having the knee brace on under really helped. Wished I got going fatser out the transition. Came in 2nd from swim and left about 6th to 9th.

Not worn the wetsuit, I did not need it since I walked the swim! But still improving -unfortunately I fell behind
Bike
  • 53m 6s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike segment was difficult. The first hill out the gate separated everyone, and it felt like 5 minutes to get up it. This was the only time I was in first gear. On other hills I did go into 2nd but tried to stay in third more. The first 5-6 miles were difficult to climb but Ifelt I did fairly well. On one hill near the turn around point, I actually passed a car, green pickup with an elderly man in it. He was going to slow so I called LEFT and scared him a little, then blew past him. After the major climb I was ready to roll. From there to thte end I knew there was only the last hill to really contend with. Actually on one hill on Neuman I hit it perfect and flew up as if everyone else was standing still. Great feeling. No one passed me on the bike today. I was in wave 10 and caught people in wave 4. * I passed alot of wave 2 and 3 but they were the novice waves.

Try to go faster in areas down hill, just could not keep up pdealing to the speed of my wheels. Wished I climbed the early hills harder.

As i was told SPIN!!! plan for the winter and get some bike shoes to clip in with. That is for the winter
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Quick, rack strip gear and run.

Nothing really it was fine.
Run
  • 26m 11s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I did all I could. I knew this would be the last race of the season and wanted to put all things on the table. I did set PR for min / mile can't complain there.

Try to run a little harder and faster, just limited by the knees!
Post race
Warm down:

walk drink and check on little man. Waited for the wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knees as always. but obviously improving on the run. A little unhappy about the bike, should have been better - work on hills!

Event comments:

I wish the swimm actually would have included more swimming!

Wish I could have hung around longer, but little man was not doing well (he ended up refunding his food from the day but he is still so cute!)

Last updated: 2006-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:06 | 400 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/49
Overall: 10/747
Performance: Bad
Suit: yes
Course: U shaped "SWIM" the reason I say "swim" in quotes is that the water was about 4' deep. This is just below waist level on 6'8 me!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:06 | 15 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/49
Overall: 105/747
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: VERY CHALLENGING HILLS! I LOVED IT. I did not achieve the goal I wanted but did okay.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:11 | 03 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/49
Overall: 430/747
Performance: Good
Course: Out of park and to the campground for 2 laps and back. Relatively flat, gentle seeming inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-17 8:34 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: Devil's Challenge Triathlon

2006-09-17 9:11 PM
in reply to: #543919

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Subject: RE: Devil's Challenge Triathlon
So you were the 6'8" racer with the "10" on the calf that passes me on the bike! God...I hate getting passed but great job overall. Tough hills and a tough course.   Great Race.
2006-09-18 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
I am picturing you and McL with water up to your ankles when I read that, like a freakin godzilla movie.  Sounds hilarious!!  Too bad you didnt know that or you could have nixed the suit and cut out some T1 time.  Nice work!
2006-09-18 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
just think of this as a duathlon with the first leg in a wetsuit. I don't care if you swam, ran or skipped, that is a awesome time in the water. Also very nice work on the bike and run on a tough course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Devil's Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed