General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can you help me go slower? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-08-09 8:17 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Can you help me go slower?
I suspect the answer is, "Duh, that's the trade off for carbon!"

Have a new, and first, all carbon hoops paired with direct mount brakes. I knew braking would be... not as great as aluminum/discs... but I recently got caught in the rain and, well, no muy bueno.

Anything I can to help increase or is this just it. FWIW, the brakes are Bontrager which I have heard are "not as good as Shimano."

2018-08-09 9:53 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Can you help me go slower?
  1. Make sure the quick release wasn't left open, if you have that feature

2. Adjust the brakes closer without rubbing

3. Drag your shoes on the pavement when stopping ;-)
2018-08-09 10:15 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

DC
Originally posted by alicefoeller

1. Make sure the quick release wasn't left open, if you have that feature

2. Adjust the brakes closer without rubbing

3. Drag your shoes on the pavement when stopping ;-)

Check on numbers 1 and 2. I'll try 3 next time it rains!
2018-08-09 1:02 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Not sure if you are talking about racing only, or racing and training.

If you are talking racing only:  don't brake.  ;-)

If you are using them for training, I would seriously consider getting a cheap aluminum rim that is similar enough to the carbon one that when you swap for racing you don't have to spend too much time adjusting everything.  This is what I have done -- train on aluminum, race on carbon.  (Side benefit:  You always go faster than expected on race day.)

Also, you should contact the manufacturer of the rims and ask their advice about pads.  Seriously.  Don't just hunt down any pads that you hope might be better.  Some pad/wheel combinations can be pretty bad, even delaminating the carbon in extreme cases.  Other combinations can be bad in the sense that you might as well be using ice cubes for pads.  The manufacturer should have some good recommendations for you.  (Side benefit: you won't void the warranty on your wheels.)

2018-08-09 1:37 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

DC
Originally posted by Experior

Not sure if you are talking about racing only, or racing and training.

If you are talking racing only:  don't brake.  ;-)

If you are using them for training, I would seriously consider getting a cheap aluminum rim that is similar enough to the carbon one that when you swap for racing you don't have to spend too much time adjusting everything.  This is what I have done -- train on aluminum, race on carbon.  (Side benefit:  You always go faster than expected on race day.)

Also, you should contact the manufacturer of the rims and ask their advice about pads.  Seriously.  Don't just hunt down any pads that you hope might be better.  Some pad/wheel combinations can be pretty bad, even delaminating the carbon in extreme cases.  Other combinations can be bad in the sense that you might as well be using ice cubes for pads.  The manufacturer should have some good recommendations for you.  (Side benefit: you won't void the warranty on your wheels.)

Cool, thanks. I do have aluminum Flo 60's which I'll be using during the winter. If at all, I'd rather use the carbon until the weather gets crappy. They're Bontrager which, in my experience, has some of the best warranty. (And yes, ONLY using the Bontrager-approved pads!)

So that's my roadie, and I race on my TT.

2018-08-09 3:12 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

If you are using them for training, I would seriously consider getting a cheap aluminum rim that is similar enough to the carbon one that when you swap for racing you don't have to spend too much time adjusting everything.

NOTE! Most likely you'll need to swap the brake pads when you swap wheels. So "adjusting" is part of swapping the wheels.

2018-08-09 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Porfirio

Have a new, and first, all carbon hoops paired with direct mount brakes. I knew braking would be... not as great as aluminum/discs... but I recently got caught in the rain and, well, no muy bueno.

Anything I can to help increase or is this just it. FWIW, the brakes are Bontrager which I have heard are "not as good as Shimano."

It's not as if braking on wet aluminum works well, I don't recall carbon being all that much worse? You can try a different brand. . . . but I'm not sure what else can be done other than buying a new bike with disc brakes and then buying new rims

2018-08-09 11:09 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Originally posted by briderdt

If you are using them for training, I would seriously consider getting a cheap aluminum rim that is similar enough to the carbon one that when you swap for racing you don't have to spend too much time adjusting everything.

NOTE! Most likely you'll need to swap the brake pads when you swap wheels. So "adjusting" is part of swapping the wheels.

Agree.  I change the pads even if they supposedly work on both.  I have a different set that I use on my race wheels only.

2018-08-10 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Porfirio

What specific model of Bontrager wheels ? They do allow pads from swissstop on some of their models.

Pads make all the difference.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can you help me go slower? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wetsuit - go Basic or Fancy?

Started by Trojaspoute
Views: 747 Posts: 3

2018-04-23 7:57 AM jnuger

go by minutes or distance?

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 904 Posts: 8

2017-10-10 7:23 AM brigby1