General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Atlantic City, New Jersey
United States
DelMoSports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 2s
Overall Rank = 201/507
Age Group = F60-64
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

I was up at 3:30 and had my oatmeal. We departed Stacey's at 4:40 a.m. Bart drove everyone (Sue, Stacey, Andy and I) to Bader Field. We brought our wetsuits and left them in his truck.

We met Steph there. Sue's friend John also participated.

We had plenty of time to get ready. I saw Bob Richey and he asked whether we had to wear a shirt or not. That gave me the idea to not wear a shirt either since we weren't wearing wetsuits. I realized that the bike and run would be hot so I went without my shirt. I was really glad I did. I did sunscreen really well although I forgot to do the part in my hair.

I didn't eat a Power Bar in transition, which was a big mistake. We headed over to the swim start by about 6:45. The sprint started at 7:00. The OLY started at 7:30. I was really hungry by the time the swim started.

Swim
  • 34m 41s
  • 1894 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wetsuits were not allowed. It was a self-seeded start. I stood in the 25-30 min group.

I felt strong in the water. Unfortunately, I could not see the entire time. My goggles were fogged and I had to stop 4 times to clear them so I could see which way to go. Every time I stopped, I saw Sue swimming past me. Then I'd have to catch up.

What would you do differently?:

Never use that product again. I have to look up the name. It's the stuff I bought in Oceanside...The product is called Z-Clear Anti-Fog. I just emailed them. Waiting to hear their response...
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Did not sit down. Did not wear socks. We had a long run over some rough macadam to the start of the bike. I don't see how anyone could do it without shoes on.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.

Bike
  • 1h 12m 17s
  • 22.5 miles
  • 18.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I discovered pretty quickly that I could not see out of my sunglasses. They were pretty foggy. I had to look over top of them for the entire ride. I don't know if was the defogger I used or not.

I pushed as much as I could on the bike.

I ate two GUs and almost two full watered down bottles of Gatorade.

Transition 2
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

Put my visor on. I used lots of Vaseline on my toes and then put my socks on. I grabbed one GU for my pocket.

Run
  • 57m 52s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good on the run and started counting the people I passed. I think I ended up at about 30. About that amount passed me, too.

I never cramped. I stopped at every aid station and had water and Gatorade. It was a clear Gatorade, which I've never had before. It actually didn't have much of a taste. I wondered if it was really Gatorade!

I ate the GU at about 5 miles. I was starting to feel tired and needed a pick-me-up. I think it worked.

I waved hello to Judi and I also saw Pat McCloskey who cheered for me. I waved to Ed Gerena who didn't recognize me.

I'm pretty pleased with my pace considering I stopped at every aid station.

Post race
Warm down:

Let's see, I got pooped on by a seagull and it landed on my face. Not fun!

I had a hard time finding Bob because he wasn't sitting where he had been after the 70.3. He must've fallen asleep when I crossed because he didn't know I finished. I only found him when I used Stacey's phone to call him.

They had great food at the finish. I had sausage, eggs, a bagel with cream cheese, and a chocolate covered donut. I gave Bob the muffin and a donut.

I looked up my results and saw that I was third. I was really disappointed since I felt like I did well. Then they called me for third grand master. I was totally surprised. The nice thing was that I got to stand next to Sue because she was second grand master. Turns out, I was first in my age group. I was really happy about that.

We stayed at the award ceremony a long time because they called the OLY aqua bike awards last. Stacey took 1st so we waited for her. Andy got 1st in the Sprint aqua bike. Then we headed for the shuttle. We had a long wait there--at least 20 minutes. The last two buses arrived about 12:20 just as it was thundering and the storm was blowing in. I was nervous about making it to transition to get my stuff before the storm hit. Luckily, it didn't arrived until we were in the car and headed back to Stacey's.

Event comments:

Fun race. I really enjoyed it. It was nice having so many friends there. I already signed up for next year.

Last updated: 2018-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:41 | 1894 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 127/507
Performance: Below average
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Counter clockwise
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:17 | 22.5 miles | 18.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 281/507
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:52 | 06.2 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 201/507
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2018-08-12 7:42 PM

User image

Subject: Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City

Started by pmparadis
Views: 739 Posts: 1

2018-07-13 7:12 PM pmparadis

Started by colesdad
Views: 791 Posts: 1

2017-09-21 7:29 AM colesdad

Started by lmecoll
Views: 865 Posts: 3