General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Camelbaks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-08-15 11:03 AM

Subject: Camelbaks?
If I use a camelbak on the bike/run (olympic distance), will I be branding myself as newbie tri??? LOL...I have dropped my water bottle 3 out of 4 times trying to get it back into the holder. I would prefer not to have to stop to hydrate but I'm also not going to be the person who drops a bottle and knocks someone else off their bike!!

If it's a huge no, stopping to drink is what I'll do! TIA!

2018-08-15 12:29 PM
in reply to: FMcCreary

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Camelbaks?
Originally posted by FMcCreary

If I use a camelbak on the bike/run (olympic distance), will I be branding myself as newbie tri??? LOL...I have dropped my water bottle 3 out of 4 times trying to get it back into the holder. I would prefer not to have to stop to hydrate but I'm also not going to be the person who drops a bottle and knocks someone else off their bike!!

If it's a huge no, stopping to drink is what I'll do! TIA!

I appreciate that your heart is in the right place. Dropping a water bottle on the course is very dangerous to other riders. And I've seen plenty of people who swerve while reaching or replacing a bottle in the frame cage, which is also dangerous.

I regularly see people with camelback hydration systems in races. Not many, but there are always at least a couple. First and foremost, it that's your preference, go for it. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You're out there doing the race! That's all that counts.

Personally, I wouldn't wear a camelback in a race. If a frame cage is out, I think I'd rather take a little time to grab a big drink to start the bike leg, stop my bike on course and grab another and then drink at the end of the bike leg. Of course, I'd then hit the aid stations hard on the run. That's just my personal preference.

I used to struggle myself drinking water on the bike. Like you, I didn't like reaching down to grab my water bottle from the frame cage. So I just didn't drink enough. I went to an aero bar bottle mount that puts the bottle and straw right under your face. It works great. You can drink as much as you want whenever you want without ever taking your hands off the aerobars. If you have aerobars on your bike I highly recommend one. There are many options...here's one:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/04/profile-aerobottle-computer.html

Steve
2018-08-15 6:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

It doesn't matter at all if others decide (rightly or wrongly) that you are new to the sport.  If somebody is silly enough to 'judge' you for being new, do you really care what that person thinks?  Wear whatever hydration you want.

However, you would do well, I'd say, to figure out why you are launching bottles.  It isn't normal and the solution is probably very simple.

Edited by Experior 2018-08-15 6:25 PM
2018-08-16 10:55 AM
in reply to: lutzman

I appreciate the suggestion! I don't have aerobars but will look into that. Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoroughly!
2018-08-16 10:57 AM
in reply to: Experior

Very true. And I'm dropping them because I haven't ridden a bike since I was 12. HA!
2018-08-16 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Maybe also consider a bike mounted hydration system.

Speedfil and Profile make plenty that go on the frame or bars that have a tube you can grab an drink from.

2018-08-16 2:56 PM

Originally posted by FMcCreary

Very true. And I'm dropping them because I haven't ridden a bike since I was 12. HA!

Couple more training rides and you'll be golden. As someone else said, I'd just hit a big chugalug before you take off. And then just outright stop once or twice if you have to and have a swig.

Even the smallest of races generally have water stops every mile...mile and a half on the run. Should be in the race info.

I'm more worried about overhydrating on an Olympic race. Being that I'm older and all, it doesn't take much for me to be looking for a porta potty, I don't need anything else slowing me down.

2018-08-16 9:05 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
You would be fine to wear a camelbak if you want. If you do stop to drink, be careful as that can be a dangerous situation as well if someone is hammering hard just a few bike lengths behind you.

How long do you have until the race? Like someone else already mentioned, a few more training rides and you'll probably have mastered the art of sliding your bottle back into the cage after drinking. Does your bike have the standard 2 bottle cages on down tube and seat tube?
2018-08-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: #5247992

Thanks everyone, no I dont have the one under the seat. I'll look into that too!
2018-08-24 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You already have the camelback, you might as well use it at least for the bike if that's what you're comfortable doing.  Whether you take it on the run too??  An OLY probably has 1 or 2 run aid stations and you would likely hit them more than once.  

If you have time and some inclination, you can look into a handlebar mounted bottle cage rather than the substantially more expensive options already suggested.  

PRACTICE!!  If you've only tried 4 times, don't give up.  Go out onto a low-traffic road or parking lot and practice getting and returning your bottle to the frame cage.  When you practice, move towards the left tire track on the road so you've got room to drift or wobble before running out of pavement.  Another hint for practice:  while it's tempting to slow way down, you have better stability if you don't slow down as much.  When you get to where you can do it 10 times in a row, you won't be thinking about a camelback.  

2018-08-24 10:04 PM

User image

You're totally cool using a Camelback on the bike. Just make sure you are comfortable with it. I was running with a guy in an Ironman last Sunday who used one. He must have had some magic juice to pass up all the on-course nutrition (non-stop aid stations). The straps were thin and all I could imagine was a very bad time when he hit the shower. I will occasionally wear my Ultimate Direction hydration vest on the bike in training. I've also run marathons and ultra trail races with it. I use it more for the pockets to carry, gels, chews, salt tablets, keys, ID (beer garden), and phone. Water is heavy and unnecessary if there is plenty on course.

Rule 1: Nothing new on race day.
Rule 2: Ignore Rule 1 in B race if testing for A race.

2018-08-24 10:45 PM

User image

Where is your cage located? most bikes have mounting bosses in 2 different places; on the down tube, and the seat tube. I find the down tube position to be much easier to get a bottle in and out of while riding. When I go on longer rides and take two bottles, I'll switch the bottles once the first one, which starts in the down tube cage, is empty.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Camelbaks? Rss Feed