General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Sprint Tri Saturday! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-08-16 11:01 AM

User image

Subject: First Sprint Tri Saturday!
I am so nervous to race in my first sprint tri this Saturday. I've even had dreams about the lake having large swells and lightening during the race!
I'm not sure if I should drink coffee or eat a banana before the race (starts at 7 am) and I'm also thinking about how far out to run into the water (beach) before I start to swim. I'm sure I will learn a lot from the first one. I love reading the threads on this site, very inspirational!
Wish me luck. Thanks.

2018-08-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: First Sprint Tri Saturday!

Good luck!  

If you drink coffee, don't skip it race morning.  I recommend eating something before the race, early enough that it's not just sitting in your stomach at the start (so 1.5-2 hours prior).  

How far to run out into the water?  Unless you think you're likely to finish near the top, I wouldn't run at all.   If you're NOT a fast, competent, swimmer, there's really no reason to put yourself in that front-of-pack churn.  In fact, if the swim makes you nervous (it often does), I suggest counting to 15 before starting to let that swarm disperse and then calmly starting YOUR swim.  You'll either pass a lot of swimmers who wore themselves out, or lag behind, but the stress of swimming in that frenzied pack can completely disrupt your entire race.  

Edited to add:  Link to one of my first sprints, where I tried swimming in the crowd..

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=44637

I was gassed on a 500 yard swim where practices were 2000 yards or more.  

Edited by McFuzz 2018-08-16 11:58 AM
2018-08-16 12:31 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Thank you!
I'll post an update after the race.
2018-08-16 3:14 PM
in reply to: browndb37

Welcome to the madness. The fun madness.

Oh...the dreams are the best. I could handle dreams like yours. That at least makes sense.
I'm more fascinated by the dreams many of us seem to have. They involve massive obsessive disasters like showing up really late to a race, or getting lost.

I once had a dream in the midst of my first (and likely only) full IM training. The swim was going great. Just wonderful. I was maybe even "in the lead". The only thing weird about it, was it was inside of a small convenience store that was half filled with water and you had to touch both hands to the counter on each lap around the candy aisle. If you can figure that one out, let me know!

Enjoy the day. Take a moment somewhere on the ride to look around and enjoy the effort you've put in to this point and the effort you're putting in that day. You'll never ever have your first race after this. Doesn't mean the others aren't as much...or more fun. But you'll never have your first.

Have fun!
2018-08-16 3:33 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by browndb37

I am so nervous to race in my first sprint tri this Saturday. I've even had dreams about the lake having large swells and lightening during the race!
I'm not sure if I should drink coffee or eat a banana before the race (starts at 7 am) and I'm also thinking about how far out to run into the water (beach) before I start to swim. I'm sure I will learn a lot from the first one. I love reading the threads on this site, very inspirational!
Wish me luck. Thanks.

Good luck and have fun. You only get to a "first race" one time, so focus on just enjoying the moment.

I think it's good to eat a bit before the race as long as it's not too close to the start time. If you can eat early, a half portion of oatmeal at 4:30 or 5:00 a.m. will allow time for your stomach to empty out and help with butterflies. Definitely don't skip your regular morning coffee. Keep sipping water right up to the race.

Get to the race EARLY so you have a lot of time to just look around, relax and get your gear/bike set up in transition. A light, easy warm up jog is good just to elevate the heart rate a bit so you don't start the swim cold.

As you probably know, start your swim toward the back of the pack. There is no upside to getting run over by the faster swimmers. With regard to how far to run out before starting to swim, just take your cue off the athletes in front of you. You'll see where they dive and start swimming.

Concentrate on starting EASY. Your adrenaline will likely be so high that what feels like slow will probably be faster than you train...which can throw you into oxygen debt and make the balance of the swim difficult.

Relax, go easy, have fun and enjoy the day.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2018-08-16 3:37 PM
2018-08-18 1:15 PM
in reply to: #5248037

User image

Finished the race. I’m frustrated because everything felt great until 1/4 mile into the run and I had a terrible cramp on my right side just under my ribs. Made the run difficult and decreased my normal time by A LOT. Overall I learned a lot and definitely developed the tri fever! I did eat a Kind bar half way through so that may have been the mistake...I wasn’t hungry but thought it would help fuel me through the run. Any advise?
Looking for another sprint triathlon now

2018-08-19 3:56 PM

User image

Congrats! I'm still learning too but, my #1 rule is don't do anything in a race you haven't done in training. Have you been eating during your trainings? My 2nd sprint my buddy asked what calories I was taking, swore i needed something, and handed me a Gu pack. That turned into a sticky, uncomfortable mess. Since then ive tried a couple things on my longer rides & runs and decided sticking to gatoraid/poweraid works best for me. In a sprint you probably don't really need too many calories.

That said, if you think a calorie boost will help you, grab a couple Gu Packs, bars, gummies, or whatever you think might work for you and try them in training. If your thinking you want to use them during the bike or run, use them @ about race effort. Once you find what works best for you, keep using them during your training to get your body used to them.

Hope that helps, & wrlcome to the world of Tri.

Edited by riles32807 2018-08-19 3:59 PM
2018-08-20 12:54 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by riles32807

Congrats! I'm still learning too but, my #1 rule is don't do anything in a race you haven't done in training.

^^This.^^

Congrats on your race. Don't beat yourself up. Half the fun is the learning that takes place in both training and in races.

Absolutely--nothing new on race day. It may or may not have been the bar you ate. It could have been stress, exertion from the hard effort, hydration or something else. Since your experienced all of these on race day, it's impossible to eliminate any of these as potential causes. But as you now begin to think about future races, one of the things you'll want to build into your training program are multi-sport days with hard effort where you can also practice taking nutrition and hydration. Over time you'll get a feel for what helps and what doesn't.

The other consideration is nutrition in a Sprint distance race is not a big limiter. IMHO, as long as you're getting hydration and have decent training going in, you really don't need to worry too much about getting calories in out on the course.

Well done on your race. Welcome to the sport....you're a triathlete!

Steve

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Sprint Tri Saturday! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Timer - OBX Olympic Tri

Started by cookkr
Views: 620 Posts: 8

2018-07-26 8:47 AM cookkr

To Tri or Not to Tri

Started by riles32807
Views: 755 Posts: 5

2018-07-14 9:31 AM riles32807

Just did my first tri.

Started by tigerstripe40
Views: 531 Posts: 2