General Discussion Race Reports! » Oakland Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oakland Triathlon - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oakland, California
United States
USA Productions
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 42m 55s
Overall Rank = 83/353
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/41
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4. Ate breakfast. Put on race tattoos. Got to the race at 5:10. I got the last isle spot for the Olympic side of the transition. Dropped shoes and went for a light run
Event warmup:

Light run maybe .5 miles. Swam around waiting for start. I liked the sprint start starting away from the dock because everyone is swimming in a straight line.
Swim
  • 29m 54s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started on the far right and was able to get away from people on the swim. Felt like I passed a lot of orange caps (my group) and caught up to the green caps (group 3 minutes in front.)

Had a lot of trouble siting the buoys. Did around the first 3 but as I turned to Jack London square,
I got pushed and didn't site the next buoy. I ended up swimming towards the center of the channel so I most likely did more that 1500 M since I swam a long way until I was back in the line. I ended up siting the flashing lights on the police boat for the rest of the way.

A lot of swimmers said it was a slow swim too. Apparently it was high tide at 8 and we started at 7:19. Therefore, my guess is the flux was in and not out.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. Try too pick up the bouy better. Kick more. I swam hard at the end but easy for the rest of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 07m 27s
Comments:

There is a live train track in the middle of the course. So you need to run back towards a pedestrian bridge, over the bridge, and then to T1. Since my bike was at the very end of the Olympic distance zone, I ran about .6 miles.

Since I was at the end, I didn't bother pre-clipping shoes. I just put my shoes on and ran out.

Bike
  • 1h 11m 41s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.48 km/hr
Comments:

3rd street, Mandela Parkway and Maritime were all very nice to ride on because of smooth surfaces. Other roads had potholes and were not as smooth.

I passed a ton of bikes on the first lap and was only passed by aerobikes. Going into the wind I averaged around 23-25 MPH and into the wind 20. On the second lap, the wind changed/got stronger and/or I started getting tired. Into the wind I was only going 18/19. And I got passed by more aerobikes. I need to practice more with my aerobars because I was not comfortable using them. (One Oakland Tri team member said I should be using them
My goal was 70 minutes and I finished in 72. So I was right on track.

Patrice with Aerobars. A good chunk of my biking was on trainers, on a mountain bike, or on my bike without the bars. I only put them on 1 week before the race.
Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Had trouble getting left shoe undone because hand had fallen asleep. I think that I lost time on the bike ride and not T2. Long t2 was because I had to visit port-o-potty.

Not use port-o-potty.
Run
  • 50m 35s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 04s  min/km
Comments:

Didn't have a watch and my abductors were mad at me, so I wasn't really focusing on my pace. Got passed by a lot of very encouraging runners. Ended up pacing with a guy after mile 4. I thought i was running a 9 minute mile so I am very, very happy to run 8:09 since my goal was 8:10-8:20

Apparently not having a watch is good for my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate food. Watched people come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting off course on the swim. I was going for a 1:40 or better since I had a wet-suit. My guess is I swam a little over than 1 mile and that would have been 1:40. I was spot on for both the bike and the run. I obviously need to improve my run overall though I was happy with 8:09

Event comments:

I did 2 races with Brazen racing that have everything imaginable to eat after the race so any other race will be disappointing for post race food. It would have been nice to have alcohol free beer too. I And I swear that there used to be more post race booths too.

Lots of volunteers. All helpful. On the Olympic run, there was water and sports drink at every mile. The course seemed cleaner in this year in comparison to years past.

Last updated: 2018-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:54 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/41
Overall: 61/353
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Swim 200 down channel, turn across channel for 200, turn and then swim towards jack London square for about 1200.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:41 | 40 kms | 33.48 km/hr
Age Group: 8/41
Overall: 85/353
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 2 loops on the Oakland streets. Go down 3rd to Mandela Parkway. Out Mandela Parkway with wind to back (fun) and then back with wind in your face (not fun, got passed by a lot of Aero bikes). Down 7th street to freshly paved Maritime (has a nice bike path on one side too). This was going into the wind. Then North on Maritime with wind to back (fun) before coming back and going through inner harbor park and then back to 3rd street. All of that seemed to have the wind head on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:35 | 10 kms | 05m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 14/41
Overall: 120/353
Course: Run along train track to Fallon Street. Run towards new pedestrian trail and out trail to lake Merritt. Run around lake Merritt, taking a short cut from the band stand to the animal center. Then run back along the lake and back along the trail. But wait, remember the live train track, you have to cross it. So up the bridge and over to the other side. There were trains both times I crossed the bridge and I would have had to wait if not for the bridge
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2018-08-19 5:41 PM

Subject: Oakland Triathlon - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oakland Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Diego International Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Pacific John
Views: 878 Posts: 1

2018-06-24 8:40 PM Pacific John

Chicago Triathlon - International Course

Started by meowmasta
Views: 972 Posts: 3

2017-08-30 8:58 PM meowmasta

Oakland Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by asmith510
Views: 825 Posts: 1