Danskin
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 19s
Overall Rank = 394/1280
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 42/103
Pre-race routine:

On Saturday, John and I headed out to Asbury Park, NJ to pick up my race packet and check out the expo. From Brooklyn, it only took us about an hour to get there. Although I know it was a newbie triathlon, it would have been nice if they had some technical stuff at the expo, or at least know where the closest bike shops were. After, we headed over to our hotel in Eatontown and just relaxed. Had dinner at Applebee's and then came back to the hotel to repack my transition bag and double check I was all set for tomorrow.
Went to bed at 9:30PM and woke up at 5:00AM. We were out the door by 5:30AM and at the race site at 6:30AM. Snacked on a banana.
While I was making sure my tire pressure was okie, my hunnie was good enough to make me a peanut butter sandwich. Headed to the start.
Found the transition area and set up my area. Ran to the portapotty and did my thing and just relaxed. Did anywone see the size of those misquitoes?!? I was so worried I was going to swell up I had so many.
Event warmup:

Did a light warm-up run around the transition area. I felt really loose and relaxed, if you can feel relaxed in a wetsuit. More like I felt like a relaxed suasage. :)
Swim
  • 15m 20s
  • 805 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt sort of anxious getting into the water. When they said on your mark before I knew it I was swimming. It was absolutely amazing! Before I knew it I was at the 400M mark rounding the first set of bouys and heading back to the finish. I only stopped once to regain my composure. The wetsuit gave me a lot more confidence. Also, having the swim angels helped to. :) I didn't have to hang on to any of them, but knowing they were there helped with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need to remember to look for the bouys and not concern myself with the people around me. Even though I was one of the last ones out of the water in my wave it was a huge accomplishment for me.
Transition 1
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

I was worried about running on the cement but with the adrenaline running through me after the swim I didn't feel it at all. Considering this was my first race I think I made it through smoothly. I got my suit off relatively easy. I could get on my bike quickly given the way the bike start was setup.

I will probably use more body glide next time. Rip off the suit and get on the bike quicker.
Bike
  • 35m 7s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Turning was okay. I wished I could have gone faster been the u-turn was so narrow I didn't want to cause any accidents. Past quite a few people. Only got past by three bikes. Made up alot of time on the bike. :)

Definitely drink more on the ride. I don't think I hydrated enough.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Given this was my first time I think I did really well. I remembered everything I needed to do and got out of there in a decent amount of time.

Definitely drink more and just relax a bit more.
Run
  • 27m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I definitely had some breathing problems when I started the run. I had to stop a moment to let my heart rate lower and to get back on pace. I hit my normal pace around mile 2 where I picked it up. The course was really sunny with minimal tree cover. My calves didn't cramp up which I'm extremely happy about. Last time after my brick it took my a week to loosed up my calves.

I think I needed to hydrate more and just lower my heart rate before I started the run. This will probably help my body adjust. I think I'd probably do better on a longer run since I normally don't settle into my pace till after the second or third mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Found some other girls from my class and found my hunnie. Drank some water and just relaxed. Met Annie, a fellow BTer. It was nice meeting you! See it pays to have your picture up so people can recognize you! :)

Haha...any weight change was rectified by eating at Perkins and having Chicken Fried Steak with macaroni and cheese and hashbrowns. ;) MMM...it was yummy!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I just needed to hydrate more. I need to become a faster swimmer. However, considering I only started to train for the swim three months ago, I think I did prett damn good.

Event comments:

It was completely awesome to be there with other women. The comraderie was the best. It was great to see women of all ages, shapes and sizes out there. For my first triathlon I couldn't have picked a better one. Oh yes. Bug spray. Don't forget the bug spray.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:20 | 805 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/103
Overall: 950/1280
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: Took place in the bay at the Coast Guard Base at Sandy Hook.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:07 | 11 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Overall: 307/1280
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: This was an out and back 11 mile course. Going out there was a nice tailwind, coming back there was a head wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:52 | 03.1 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 321/1280
Performance: Average
Course: This was again an out and back loop. Relatively flat with slight inclines.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-17 10:28 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon

2006-09-17 10:51 PM
in reply to: #543994

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon
Great job on your first Triathlon- you're a triathlete now!
2006-09-18 9:31 AM

User image

Master
CT
Awesome effort for your first tri Jennie!
2006-09-18 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to go!!! It's nice to get the first one out of the way. I think this was a great race to get started with.
2006-09-18 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! Those are some super impressive times for your first tri!

I need to remember to look for the bouys and not concern myself with the people around me. Even though I was one of the last ones out of the water in my wave it was a huge accomplishment for me.

You must have had some really fast swimmers in your wave! Your time is solid! And for only training for 3 months... well... you might just be fish-like someday!

Looks like you had a wonderful race and you really rocked the course!

Congrats!

2006-09-18 2:17 PM

New user

Red Bank, NJ
Great job Jenie! Thanks for the kudos on my race report! Your times were awesome. Hope to see you at the next race, whenver that may be.

Helen

2006-09-18 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome race! I'm terribly impressed.
2006-09-18 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Illinois
Great race! You had some great times! Just think how much faster you will be next year!!
2006-09-18 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Congrats on a great race! Your times are very impressive. Hope you had a blast and got hooked like I did!!

Susan
2006-09-18 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Such a great race, you did awesome! I bet your hunnie is SO proud of you!!!

Congratulations!
2006-09-19 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
great job! thanks for the message on my rr... maybe we'll meet up next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Rss Feed