General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keys/wallet/etc Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-08-20 10:28 PM

Subject: Keys/wallet/etc
I am a rookie and just wondering for my first half Ironman when my wife drops me off and I check in will there be a place to store all my personal belongings?

2018-08-21 8:38 AM
in reply to: Rtmatlin

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Keys/wallet/etc
Likely this depends on the race. I've never done a race with a secure storage area.

My suggestion is to not have anything extra that you won't NEED. Ask your wife to hang out for a few minutes so you can give her back your wallet (presuming you need ID to check in for race). Then only take what you need into transition with you.

I set up my transition and then take everything back to the car if it isn't needed. This includes things like my transition bag, extra stuff like sunscreen (apply first!), wallet, etc. I even leave my car keys in my car (locked), but keep the dongle that will open the doors. I leave the dongle at transition, just under the towel I use to lay all my stuff out on, but if you are concerned, tuck it in your bike bag--just don't lose it during the race!

Good luck!
2018-08-21 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You're not going to have a place to put anything except what you can fit in your transition bag. The least amount of stuff you bring the better.

I would only bring what you absolutely need, so if your wife drops you off, leave the keys with her. Only take you ID and USAT card.
2018-08-21 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Transition... and sometimes things tend to walk off, so bring the necessities and leave the rest in the car.
2018-08-21 4:24 PM
in reply to: #5248265

Awesome guys. Thank you for the info. I can now check off that box as one less thing to worry about
2018-08-21 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Most IM brand races (and some others) have some arrangement to store "street clothes" bags (usually one they issue you on which you attach or write your race number.) They're fine for storing clothes and maybe a post-race snack, but I wouldn't put car keys, phone, or wallet in there--not just because of danger of theft (which is actually pretty unlikely--who would have time to go through all those bags?!) but falling out of the bag. I would leave valuables with your wife and arrange a post-race meeting place in advance in case she has trouble finding you at the finish. (Longer races, especially big, crowded ones can be a bit of a crap shot--I finished my first HIM about 45 minutes faster than I had told my mom to expect, and finally located her asleep under a tree!) Definitely don't leave anything of value in transition--again not so much a theft issue as things can get chaotic and it's easy for stuff to get lost or taken by mistake.

In the past I've often traveled solo to races, sometimes internationally. I usually leave everything but absolute essentials (money to get back to the hotel, ID if I need to pick up my packet on race day) in the hotel safe, and then secure the money and ID into an item of clothing with a zip pocket and leave it at bag check. On a few occasions, I discovered they did not have a bag check as advertised. I have done a half-marathon, an aquathlon, and even a triathlon with $ and my driver's license (and, in the case of the HM, because it was required to enter the venue, my passport!) in a baggie shoved into a zip pocket in the back of the top I was racing in. I don't recommend this. But those zip pockets, if you can find a suit or top with one, can be really useful in a pinch!

2018-08-21 11:39 PM

I always leave my stuff in my bag at transition, and I've raced in multiple countries (although never one that could be described as "third world"). It's never been a problem. I wouldn't leave anything where losing it would be a disaster, but at any well run race I think you're probably ok. I mean, we throw a $300+ wet suit down for hours and hope its there when we return. Sometimes one must trust the gods.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keys/wallet/etc Rss Feed