General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Updating an old road bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-08-21 4:18 PM

User image

Subject: Updating an old road bike?
I can’t get this idea out of my head, I want to buy an old 80s road bike and piece by piece update the components. I’m not very familiar with these old bikes though, do you guys think it’d be worthwhile?

I like the idea of it being so custom and cost effective (or at least the cost could be spread out). I just don’t know if there would be a significant speed upgrade over my Cannondale quick six.

(Something like this) https://syracuse.craigslist.org/bik/d/tall-raleigh-technium-road/666...

2018-08-22 7:22 AM
in reply to: Jimi3000

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Updating an old road bike?

Things to consider:

* The fork on the older bike will use a 1" threaded steerer. While they're plenty strong/durable, you'll be stuck with threaded headsets, quill stems (some folks consider them more adjustable), and likely also 25.4 or 26.0 diameter handlebars.

* Depending on the year, you'll be looking at 126mm rear axle spacing (or even 120, if you go back far enough). If you plan on updating to current road components, then you'll need to have the rear triangle spread out and re-aligned to 130mm. Doable on a steel frame, and most any builder and some bike shops will be able to do that easily.

* Worthwhile (or any question or "worth") is too subjective to answer directly. But I'd pass on something that old, if I had that kind of bug in my brain. If you're looking to go to new components, then you'll likely end up spending more buying it a piece at a time. But there's fun to be had in the search, so it's a completely YMMV situation.

* No, it won't be any faster than your C'dale, but it won't be any slower either.

2018-08-22 10:52 AM
in reply to: Jimi3000

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I got an old Raleigh Technium after I did my first two triathlons.  

Step 1:  Go price a set of STI (integrated) shifters.  

Step 2:  Honestly evaluate your ability and desire to strip down and rebuild an old bike.  

My Technium had downtube shifters.  You could relocate them to bar-end relatively easily (and cheaply) but converting to integrated...$$  As Dave indicated, switching from a 6-speed cluster to 8,9,10, or 11 will require tweaking the frame to widen the axle spacing.  

If the answer to step 2 is "yea, I can easily spend hours tinkering on the bike rather than riding" you can still get the old bike, strip it down, and rebuild it, but as far as making it "modern?"  Nah...

You can think of this endeavor just like creating a custom car.  You'll invest countless hours and probably $1000 or more and have a bike someone will pay you $75 for (because it's 30 years old).  

2018-08-22 3:05 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Thanks for the feedback! Probably is one of those things that I need sit back on and think about if I really want to sink the time and money into. Probably not, but it would be fun!
2018-08-22 3:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I had a friend in college, a semi-sponsored Mtb racer who worked at a bike shop. He did the opposit, he took one of his race bikes & gave it "street camo". DIY paint job, swept back handle bars, white wall tires, & a wider seat. From a distance it looked like an old beach comber.

I've been riding a late 1970s steel frame road bike (it's still lighter than some of my buddys' bikes) Now that I'm doing Tris, I've been looking at upgrading vs buying, so I've done some of the research for you. This is sort of the basics to bring my bike into the modern era, your results will very depending on your frame and how much you want to upgrade it. I do my own work, so I'm not including labor or tools if you don't have them.

Wheels - you should be able to find a decent set of used wheels for $100-$150
Quill stem adaptor $20
Stem - $30
handle bar - $30
Bar tape - $15
Derailer set - my frame is a 8 speed rear cassette, I assume they were fairly common, that puts you in Shimano Claris group set without any frame modification $100-$150 (break levers, & derailers remove down tube shifters, may need a clamp on cable hanger $10)
Cassette - $20
Freehub, axel & skewer - if you buy a used wheel set with a different size setup $50
Chain - $15
Cables - $20
Bottom bracket - upgrade to sealed bearings (measure carefully) $30
Bake pads - $10

Total = ~$450

Optional
Chain rings (check for wear), crank arms, pedals, brake levers, aero bars, seat, seat post, tires

Other considerations. The frame geometry has come a long way, especially triathlon bikes, in the past 10-15 years. Big consideration if your going to be racing on it. I haven't looked into it but your fork options would probably be limited as most manufacturers now assume stems are threadless. Finally, I've seen some cheep Chinese bikes either from that era, or imitating them that use weird size components that aren't comparable with Shimano, SRAM, Campagnolo, etc.

For me, my frame doesn't quite fit for racing, & there's some rust spots forming that I don't like. Plus as others have said, if you go to sell it, you probably wouldnt get more than $150 for it. (Maybe more if you part it out.) So for me, a couple hundred more would be worth buying a new or used intro bike. That said, if you want to enjoy it as a project, have at it.

Edited by riles32807 2018-08-22 3:54 PM
2018-08-23 10:19 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Thanks for all the info. I'm not overly worried about losing out on money - I feel like any purchased bicycle is a bad investment financially and this may be even more so.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Updating an old road bike? Rss Feed