General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nervous Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-08-22 6:54 AM

Subject: Nervous
Sunday is my first race. Sprint distance in Chicago. Really nervous. Feel confident in bike and run but gaining confidence in swim, just not as much as I had hoped by now. Figured I'd hug the wall as much as I can. Has anyone done this race? I think I'm more nervous about the amount of people than I am the swim. Just pre-race jitters I guess. Hoping to post my results Sunday evening...if I make it

2018-08-22 8:45 AM
in reply to: jdwyer02

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Nervous

Originally posted by jdwyer02 Sunday is my first race. Sprint distance in Chicago. Really nervous. Feel confident in bike and run but gaining confidence in swim, just not as much as I had hoped by now. Figured I'd hug the wall as much as I can. Has anyone done this race? I think I'm more nervous about the amount of people than I am the swim. Just pre-race jitters I guess. Hoping to post my results Sunday evening...if I make it

I haven't done Chicago, but isn't the swim on the beach in Lake Michigan?  

(Rhetorically)  You KNOW you can do the swim?  (Assume the answer is yes, otherwise, you have no business trusting your life to volunteers in the water.)  

I believe they run waves of roughly 100 people.  If you're nervous about the swim, start at the back and when the gun fires, slowly count to 15 before you start your swim.  If watching the churn causes more anxiety, turn around and watch the crowd while you count.  After 15 seconds, you're ready to start swimming and my guess is you won't miss those 15 seconds when you cross the finish line.  

2018-08-22 10:31 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

LOL, I meant I can do the swim, just probably not as quick as I had hoped. Was already planning on staying behind my wave and then starting. 1st ever race so I have butterflies
2018-08-22 12:08 PM

I have done this many times and you have nothing to worry about. I admit that I don't have the swimming nervousness that affects others, but if you just get in the back of your wave and stick there you will hardly touch another person. A few of the really quick folks from the wave behind you might come up and pass you but this is not oppressive. I think they leave 20 or 30 seconds between waves. Its in a harbor and not especially deep or rough.
2018-08-22 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
If it's wave start with a group, try swimming to the outside to avoid the congestion and start towards the back of the wave.
Just take your time and swim your swim.
Good luck!
2018-08-22 2:19 PM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Originally posted by TriJayhawkRyan

If it's wave start with a group, try swimming to the outside to avoid the congestion and start towards the back of the wave.
Just take your time and swim your swim.
Good luck!

x2 swim your swim! don't go faster because others are. that's a recipe for disaster (at least it has been for me). because i'll either blow up on the swim or my bike or run will suffer the downstream effect.
concentrate on your form and breathing
congrats on your first race and good luck!

2018-08-22 2:48 PM
in reply to: jjupiter100

Thank you for the responses. I will take all of the advice and hope for the best
2018-08-22 4:20 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois
I have done Chicago and will also be doing the Sprint on Sunday. The wall used to have a rope along it that you could hold onto if needed. There will also be kayaks in the water. Plan on breathing more on the left side so you can see the wall and you will not need to sight as much. It is impossible to not be nervous before your first race. Once you finish it will be worth it though. Good Luck and Have Fun!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nervous Rss Feed