General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Side Stroke/CSS for Triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-08-30 8:41 PM

Subject: Side Stroke/CSS for Triathlons
I just wanted to adress a few things I felt were wrong in older threads I saw about using the Combat Side Stroke (CSS) to swim in a triathlon.

They say:
1. It's a slow stroke.
2. You'll get in the way of other swimmers.
3. It'll tire out your legs more than other strokes.

My thoughts:
1. Just like any other stroke the better your technique and conditioning the faster you will be. I can swim a 7:55 500 yard using CSS. With extremely minimal swim training I swam a 1:13 at my first ironman. (My minimal training included 6 weeks of no swimming whatsoever right before the IM due to being deployed) This stroke can be very fast if you are good at it.

2. I would agree with this but only for the first few hundred yards. But everyone is in everyone's way for the first hundred meters no matter what. If you are worried about it start off to the side and move in to the center after the initial sprint. This is what I've done in all my races and have had no issues with kicking anybody.

3. Maybe my legs get more tired than other people's do due to the scissor kick of the CSS and I just don't realize it but I don't think so. I am used to swimming the CSS and so my legs are used to that stroke. I get out of the water feeling ready to kill the bike. Also, if this stroke is what you are used to then unless you have at least 8 months to switch to training front crawl I don't see the point. Whatever you are most comfortable swimming will get you there the easiest.

You being comfortable in the water is I think the most important thing, even if it does make you a little slower. Who cares if you lose even 20 minutes in a 2.4 mile swim? Races aren't won in the swim, only lost by going too hard and taking away from your run and bike.

My final point:
If you have a big background of a certain stroke that you are comfortable with and are not trying to podium, stick with what you are best at. If you wanna go pro, then sure, learn the front crawl.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Side Stroke/CSS for Triathlons Rss Feed