General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Since I'm not allowed to lurk... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-09-07 12:01 PM

User image

Subject: Since I'm not allowed to lurk...
Right.. Introducing myself...

Hi everyone !

So, I'm from Switzerland and I don't like chocolate.

Seriously though, I started Triathlon because it kinda scares the ish out of me, it makes my heart race and my palm get all sweaty. So I registered, trained hard, try to give up and 5km in the bike leg I was like "This is crazy awesome ! Imma do this again !!" But winter is coming (ha.ha.ha) and the next race I could take part in is beginning of June 2019 which is, of course, in the middle of my exams so I have to wait until July 2019 and race at 5150 Zürich... But since I can't go that long without competing I'll participate in running races to keep'em legs movin' (trying to be cool so bear with me....)

If any of you have swim drills or indoor training tips, feel free to share !

I think that's it.. Ah ! My name's Aude, I'm 23 years old and a student.

I'll go back to lurking now...

Byye !

-A.

2018-09-07 1:02 PM
in reply to: Fierce Squirrel

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Since I'm not allowed to lurk...

Welcome Aude!  

There are a number of swimming drills, but the best option is to hook up with a swimming group where a "coach" can watch you swim and make suggestions (they'll also provide drills).  

It doesn't take much to run outside even in the winter.  
10C or above is shorts and a t-shirt.  
5 to 10C, long sleeves, possibly light gloves.  
0 to 5C, wind pants or running tights, long sleeve, gloves, ballcap.  
-5 to 0C, heavier shirt (or two shirts), wind pants, gloves, ballcap.
-10 to -5C, t-shirt and soft-shell top, heavier pants (or tights plus windpants), heavier gloves, fleece headband.  
below -10C will get more interesting.  

At the start of the run, you should feel cold (underdressed) but you should warm up in the first 5-10 minutes.  If you are comfortable at the start, you'll be overheated and shedding clothes 10 minutes into the run.  

2018-09-07 2:38 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Hi McFuzz

Thank you for your reply !

For the indoor training, I was thinking more about the bike because roads tend to be a tad more dangerous in winter (i'm living outside the city so black ice is an issue..) I know Zwift is amazing but I can't afford a new trainer...
Running is not a problem, I'm used to it and i don't have treadmill at home anyway... But I do have a turbo (basic one though)...

-A.
2018-09-07 4:51 PM
in reply to: Fierce Squirrel

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Here in the good Ol' US of A, you can get a basic fluid trainer for ~$150 (or at least...I did a few years back...).  At the time, one could also get a set of rollers for ~$100.  The difference:  A trainer you clamp over your rear axle and it allows you to spin the rear wheel on a stable (boring) platform whereas rollers are a series of 3 free spinning bars, two of which support your rear wheel and the third your front wheel.  For rollers, you must balance yourself and hold the handlebars steady.  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Since I'm not allowed to lurk... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm back...

Started by btlovin
Views: 468 Posts: 2

2018-08-07 9:49 PM lutzman

To Tri or Not to Tri

Started by riles32807
Views: 760 Posts: 5

2018-07-14 9:31 AM riles32807

3rd Time was Not the Charm

Started by Saul Goodman
Views: 407 Posts: 7