Other Resources The Political Joe » 9/11 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-09-11 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: 9/11
Where were you on 9/11?

I was at work. Word began spreading of a plane hitting a building. Everyone in the office went to the breakroom to watch it all unfold on TV. I remember watching live as the first of the twin towers collapsed.....and then the second one. Kids were in grade school and were sent home early. They closed Redstone Arsenal and told everyone to go home. I remember the traffic jam as 40,000 people who work on RSA all trying to leave at the same time.

I remember when I got home....my wife had just gotten home too.....we met in the living room and didn't say a word.....we just hugged tightly and we both cried.

Several years later I was in Colorado Spring and got a chance to tour NORAD in Cheyenne Mountain. The whole facility is inside of the mountain and the only entrance is thru a long tunnel and then into these huge blast doors. They told us the only time in the history of NORAD that those doors had ever been closed in a 'real life emergency' was on 9/11. All they knew was the United States was under attack. No one knew the extent of the attacks or how many planes were going to crash into buildings. They were able to track every plane that was in the air over the US and tracked them until they all landed.

17 years later and 9/11 remains the most consequential day for America in my lifetime. I think 9/11 gave my generation an indication of how Americans must have felt on Dec 7, 1941 and how that day changed their lives and change America forever.

2018-09-11 9:36 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: 9/11

I was working a second job at an alternative school for kids who had been tossed out of high school for "behavioral problems".  One of the teachers rolled a TV into the classroom and told us what was going on.  When the 1st tower fell the kids cheered.......I walked out, knowing I was going to lose my real job if I stayed, and never went back to that job.  I spent the rest of the day watching TV after I picked up my, then, 3 year old son and 1 year old twins from daycare. 

You never really know what your little kids are putting into their brains as you just go through your day, but when my son "flew" his toy airplane into a lego building he had made that evening, I was crushed.  I'm one of the most un-emotional people that I or anyone else knows (I've only been told that about 1000 times in my life) but I cried like a baby when he did that.  I don't remember the last time I cried before that and I know I haven't since......but man, it makes my blood boil just thinking about it now.

2018-09-11 9:46 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

I was working a second job at an alternative school for kids who had been tossed out of high school for "behavioral problems".  One of the teachers rolled a TV into the classroom and told us what was going on.  When the 1st tower fell the kids cheered.......I walked out, knowing I was going to lose my real job if I stayed, and never went back to that job.  I spent the rest of the day watching TV after I picked up my, then, 3 year old son and 1 year old twins from daycare. 

You never really know what your little kids are putting into their brains as you just go through your day, but when my son "flew" his toy airplane into a lego building he had made that evening, I was crushed.  I'm one of the most un-emotional people that I or anyone else knows (I've only been told that about 1000 times in my life) but I cried like a baby when he did that.  I don't remember the last time I cried before that and I know I haven't since......but man, it makes my blood boil just thinking about it now.

I suspect your job has contributed to your emotional stoicism. I'm just the opposite....I cried watching Titanic....not about the love story but about the tragic loss of lives. I also cried watching "The Notebook".....I cried last night watching 9/11 video on uTube....maybe I should turn in my man-card.
2018-09-11 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

i was in gym class when the first hit, and then got stuck in 7th grade english class for the rest of the day until they sent us home.

2018-09-11 2:11 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by dmiller5

i was in gym class when the first hit, and then got stuck in 7th grade english class for the rest of the day until they sent us home.

Did your teachers tell you what was happening? Just curious. Be tough to be a teacher that day. The teachers would obviously be concerned/frightened/worried but don't need to show that in front of the kids. I guess for the really young kids, you don't tell them anything.....just tell them their parents will explain it to them when they get home.

2018-09-11 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I'd just put my wife on an airplane to Vegas. Got the girls home and turned on the Tv. I immediately called the missus and she said they hadn't left the gate yet and nobody ws giving them any information why. I knew the whole show was about to get shut down, so I told her to tell someone you were sick and wanted off immediately. Head to the end of the terminal building and keep walking towards the freeway until I got there. I was able to get to her and got her off premises before they shut down the entire system. I was still drinking at the time and demolished a 12 pack of Tecate in record time. I knew the airline industry was effchucked and it was going to take a miracle for me to keep my job without relocating. I knew at the very least, deep pay cuts and other concessions were on the horizon.

Most of us in the industry have just now gotten back on track from all the pay cuts, job loses and other concessions that we all endured as a result of the attacks.

2018-09-11 5:43 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

I'd just put my wife on an airplane to Vegas. Got the girls home and turned on the Tv. I immediately called the missus and she said they hadn't left the gate yet and nobody ws giving them any information why. I knew the whole show was about to get shut down, so I told her to tell someone you were sick and wanted off immediately. Head to the end of the terminal building and keep walking towards the freeway until I got there. I was able to get to her and got her off premises before they shut down the entire system. I was still drinking at the time and demolished a 12 pack of Tecate in record time. I knew the airline industry was effchucked and it was going to take a miracle for me to keep my job without relocating. I knew at the very least, deep pay cuts and other concessions were on the horizon.

Most of us in the industry have just now gotten back on track from all the pay cuts, job loses and other concessions that we all endured as a result of the attacks.

Great story!
2018-09-11 5:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

On 9/13 I answered a call of a disturbance at a local hotel.  3 kids were trying to get home from New York to New Mexico and the hotel manager wouldn't take their mom's credit card over the phone.  The kids....17 or 18, looked like they were scared to death.....except for the boy, who appeared ready to drag the manager outside and beat the hell out of him. LOL

I got on the phone with mom and vouched for her with the manager......no go.  Being all done with stupid for the day, I just paid for the hotel room with my card and got 100 bucks out of the ATM for the kids to eat and get down the road.

A week later I got a check in the mail from mom covering what I had paid.  A week later UPS delivered a case of Jack Daniels from the dad. HAHAHA!!   I don't drink whiskey.....ever.  I gave all but one bottle away to the guys on my squad.  I still have the last bottle.....never opened.

The  best part of my job has always been the non- stop opportunities to help someone out.  Not once in 31 years have I felt like people don't appreciate what we do. The noise from the haters just rattles around......not worth paying attention to.  When I left my office today, the conference room was filled from one end to the other with food people had been delivering all day.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-09-11 6:12 PM
2018-09-12 7:14 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

On 9/13 I answered a call of a disturbance at a local hotel.  3 kids were trying to get home from New York to New Mexico and the hotel manager wouldn't take their mom's credit card over the phone.  The kids....17 or 18, looked like they were scared to death.....except for the boy, who appeared ready to drag the manager outside and beat the hell out of him. LOL

I got on the phone with mom and vouched for her with the manager......no go.  Being all done with stupid for the day, I just paid for the hotel room with my card and got 100 bucks out of the ATM for the kids to eat and get down the road.

A week later I got a check in the mail from mom covering what I had paid.  A week later UPS delivered a case of Jack Daniels from the dad. HAHAHA!!   I don't drink whiskey.....ever.  I gave all but one bottle away to the guys on my squad.  I still have the last bottle.....never opened.

The  best part of my job has always been the non- stop opportunities to help someone out.  Not once in 31 years have I felt like people don't appreciate what we do. The noise from the haters just rattles around......not worth paying attention to.  When I left my office today, the conference room was filled from one end to the other with food people had been delivering all day.

Awesome story!
2018-09-12 10:55 AM

User image

Pro

There are literally thousands and thousands of stories like that from 9/11 and the days afterward......it was just common to help each other get through a tough time....we've certainly gone a long way down a rat hole since then.

2018-09-12 2:33 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

There are literally thousands and thousands of stories like that from 9/11 and the days afterward......it was just common to help each other get through a tough time....we've certainly gone a long way down a rat hole since then.

An army buddy of mine and I were signed up to run the Disney Marathon in Jan '02.....but he was on active duty and worked at CENTCOM at the time and they were working ridiculously long hours so he had to bail on me. I ran it myself and set my PR in my first marathon. My buddy ended up doing two tours in Iraq and one or 2 in Afghanistan....he retired recently as an O-6. We met on active duty at the Officer Basic Course (also where I met my wife) 30+ years ago and have remained friends ever since.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 9/11 Rss Feed