General Discussion Race Reports! » Danforth BTC Fall Frolic - Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danforth BTC Fall Frolic - Sprint Duathlon - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Barker, New York
United States
Score-This - Buffalo Triathlon Club
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 38s
Overall Rank = 18/37
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45am, took the dog out and waited for her to do her business while I ate a bowl of Life Cereal. Drop over to pick up the students from the Tri Club that were riding with me. Another group followed in a second vehicle.
Event warmup:

Jogged to the bathroom to pee, walked back to finish setting up my transition area. Jogged to the pre-race meeting. Stretched a bit before the start.
Run
  • 07m 49s
  • 0.99 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

The run wasn't too bad, the first part was over some trails and a small little grassy area. The grassy area had some low spots which were wet and muddy but I managed to avoid those. Another runner, however, took a dive into the slop. The first quarter mile was flat for the most part, but when we made a turn to head south towards the turn around, it was up a slight hill with the wind into our faces. Made the second quarter a bit more difficult, but it was nice coming back down.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I would do differently, I maintained my heart rate where I wanted it, though I was a bit slower than I had wanted to be it wasn't that bad.
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Put shoes on in T1 since it was very wet and muddy, didn't want to run in that slop.

It would have been nice to be able to have the shoes already on the bike, but with the slop in T1 there wasn't any way that was happening today. I did very well and had things laid out and just stayed calm and worked my way though what I needed to get done.
Bike
  • 41m 18s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 18.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Going out it seemed as if there was a slight breeze into our faces when we were heading East. On the sections where we were heading south it was a decent headwind, I would guess about 10-15mph. For the most part it seemed as I was over 20mph, which some extended sections in the 22-23mph range. That's when the surprise came, at the turn around, I was looking foward to having the wind on my side, well, it was misleading because the headwind was much stronger coming back in and I had to work hard in a few spots to maintain my speed and cadence.

Not much I could have done differently during the race, leading up to the race it would have been nice to have more bike miles in. The injury kind of prevented that, thus, given where I'm at in my conditioning, it wasn't all that bad.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Had a no pedal zone as we approached the dismount line. I unclipped my right leg and swung it over for the last 20-30 feet, stopped at the line, pulled out the left leg and jogged into transition. Changed shoes without any issues, remembered to remove my helmet and headed out for the run.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

The first little finger was the same, but I knew about the hill and the headwind so I think I was more mentally prepared for it. My legs were burning and they seemed to be moving in slow motion for the entire run. I just pushed to try and maintain as fast a pace as I could, though it seemed like I was going in slow motion. The last 3/10 really took alot out of my legs, running through 6-8" grass which is also wet and sloppy isn't what I would prefer. Came around the last turn and headed for the finish line. It was about this time that I caught and passed a guy who had a 43 on his leg, ended up being the guy that game in 2nd place, 5 seconds behind me.

Well, I think part of the issue with the legs was that my hamstrings were a bit sore from weeding around the house the day before. That was the price I had to pay for this race. My wife went with our son to the Scout Brigade at Fort George (which I was supposed to do originally) so I could run this race. The pay back was that I had to get some things done around the house on Saturday. My time was faster than I had thought it was, it just seemed like I was just trudging along.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and watched some of the other Tri Club members finish up. Drank a bottle of water and tried to stretch out the hamstrings a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Working around the house and having some soreness before the race. Not in peak fitness due to the injury.

Event comments:

Well, from the RIT contigent we had 8 athletes, 4 students, two club advisors, the spouse of an advisor, and myself, a staff member at the college. Between the 8 of us we took home 4 plaques, 2 first place in AG's and 2 seconds in AG. Overall my time was about 5-6 minutes slower than the goal I had set for myself before the race. However, it appeared that those who ran last year were about that much slower. I think the conditions of the race slowed my pace down, especially on the bike and some what on the run.

Last updated: 2006-09-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:07:49 | 00.99 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 19/37
Performance: Good
Average HR: 168
Course: Some trail/grass areas then onto the road, a slight up hill towards the turn around. Grass areas were wet and muddy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:41:18 | 12.4 miles | 18.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/3
Overall: 3/37
Performance: Good
Average HR: 162
Wind: Some
Course: Basically an our and back course, only two turns each way. Fairly flat with a few rollers. If I remember correctly gmap-pedometer put the highest elevation change at about 50 feet.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:12 | 03.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 17/37
Performance: Average
Average HR: 168
Course: Out and back with a finger up a side road. The first 3/4 of a mile follwed the initial route but then we headed further east before covering the last 1/4 of the initial route. The last 3/10 of a mile were around the big 'parade' field and around by the cabins at the camp. Wet sloppy grass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: Danforth BTC Fall Frolic - Sprint Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danforth BTC Fall Frolic - Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed