General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Malibu, California
United States
Malibu Triathlon Productions, LLC
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 12s
Overall Rank = 111/700
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 6/47
Pre-race routine:

Wasn't sure I'd be able to race this: Suffered a stress injury to right 2nd metatarsal on a trail run 20 days before the race. Then my stepmother passed away 5 days before the race, meaning a trip to Tennessee for the memorial service scheduled for less than 48 hours before the race. My orthopedist--who diagnosed the injury--had given me the conditional go-ahead to race, if I felt up to it. I did a 1.4 mile run at race pace in Memphis the day of my flight back to LA...injury was stiff and achey, but no real pain. I'd scheduled my flights to get me home by 7:45pm Friday evening...enough time to pack my gear and get 5 hours sleep before a 3:10am wakeup to get to the race venue.

This was my 2nd time doing the Saturday Olympic distance race at Malibu (previous was 2010), in addition to doing the Sunday "Classic" sprint race 9 times (2007-2009, 2011-2015 & 2017). I've also done a handful of relay legs in both races for a couple fundraising groups: 2015 Oly swim, 2016 Oly bike & Classic swim, and 2017 Oly run. Been on the podium (5-deep) twice for my AG in the Classic: 5th in 2015 and 2nd in 2017. Hoping for a first podium finish for this race but knew the foot injury was going to make it a challenge.
Event warmup:

Mostly just tried to take it easy on the foot. Felt okay, but I knew it would be sore. In addition, I'd had some strain to my left lower back and was feeling that tightening the hip.
Swim
  • 30m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was warm but the surf was insane! I've been swimming at Zuma in the summers since 2007 and I've raced on this swim course (800m sprint or the Oly) 12 previous times and never once had the conditions approached this. I was in the 7th start wave and we watched the preceding waves with amazement as they struggled (and often failed) to get through surf that was clearly 8-10 feet. Lifeguards had their hands full, pulling people out who freaked out or just had to give up.

I went way up the beach to enter the water as the current was just surging swimmers way north of the shortest line out to the first buoy. Heading into the water, I dolphined under the first massive wave as it broke--as I'd done dozens of times over the years with no problems--and was grabbed and thrown back to the beach! This happened two more times...just when I thought I'd be emerging out the backside of the wave, the surf grabbed and pinwheeled me like a ragdoll. I could see why people were freaking out and giving up.

Finally just stood up and watched for a momentary lull. When one happened, the lifeguard nearest to me was yelling for everyone to "Go! Go! Go!" Got through that time and made a beeline for the first turn buoy.

Rest of the swim was pretty uneventful, although the swell was high for the 2nd half of the course and I got more seawater in my mouth than normal. Swim in and a couple body surf opportunities were anticlimactic.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...the kind of conditions that showed you that the ocean is the boss, no matter how much you've swum in her.
Transition 1
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

As a concession to my stress fracture, I parked a pair of Oofos glides at the entrance to transition...I had a VERY long run to my rack. Definitely help protect the foot, although it cost me a bit of time (including when the left one slipped off halfway to my bike). Then I not only had my left cuff stuck on my heel but it caught on the Velcro strap for my timing chip band. All of the above cost me--easily--a minute.

Nothing...the stuck cuff was really frustrating, but just had to work through it.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 33s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Uneventful...right at my target of 20 mph or better.

Left hip...which was a concern going in...tightened up with 5 miles to go.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

2nd fastest T2 in age group. No issues...although I had to build up to a run in my MTB shoes getting off the bike because of the foot injury.

Nothing.
Run
  • 44m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Oy. After the lower back and hip had gotten tight, it was almost inevitable that my left hamstring would go next. I had problems with it through much of 2017 and so I recognized the signs. REALLY had to focus on that in order for it not to blow up...which meant not babying the right foot injury as much as I'd hoped...had to engage glutes and hip flexors more than usual to protect the hammie...which meant more flexing and impact for my feet. Stress fracture was okay for 4 miles, but it hurt the last 2.

Nonetheless, I killed the run...fastest run in my age group by almost 1:30.

Not race on a stress fracture in foot?
Post race
Warm down:

Had to find a place to sit and take off right shoe. No apparent worsening of stress fracture...just set back to the original condition...as my ortho predicted. No notable swelling and no discoloration...just hurt in the same spot it had at the original injury.

Real-time results had me on the 5-deep podium for my AG, but when they announced the medals, I wasn't listed. When I checked into it, they said they added in the 2nd place finisher, who'd had a legit finishing time, but was missing his bike split in the online data. Adding him bumped me from 5th to 6th of 47. Still not bad for racing injured and 12 hours after getting home from the funeral.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of conditioning from taking off running and lap swimming for three weeks after stress injury to metatarsal...plus the pain from the injury and the hamstring threatening to blow up.

Event comments:

The Malibu sprint distance ("Classic") race was my very first triathlon in 2007 and I've raced every year since. The race is one of the biggest short course events in the US and offers a taste of what the vibe at an Ironman is like. Definitely a premier destination tri for a short-course enthusiast.

Last updated: 2018-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:21 | 1500 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/47
Overall: 0/700
Performance: Below average
Suit: Vortex 4
Course: 150m out, right turn for 1200m parallel to beach, then right turn for 150m into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:43
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:33 | 24.8 miles | 19.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/47
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back over rolling terrain on Pacific Coast Hwy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:42 | 06.21 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/47
Performance: Good
Course: Dead flat, mostly out and back, from Zuma to Pt Dume.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2018-09-17 6:11 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by lmecoll
Views: 1009 Posts: 1

2018-08-12 7:42 PM lmecoll

Monticelloman Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by mfoster73
Views: 654 Posts: 1

2017-10-02 10:43 AM mfoster73

Monticelloman Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by mfoster73
Views: 576 Posts: 1