General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm Starting from zero, looking 4 help Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-09-23 9:27 PM

Subject: I'm Starting from zero, looking 4 help
Hello. I'm lizy, 36 years old in California.
At the moment, I don't know how to run a mile, I tried, and it took me 16 minutes because I was out of breath after 30 seconds.
I don't know how to swim very well, I basically float because I'm overweight, and move my hands and legs trying to copying what swimmers do, but I get tired easily, don't advanced much, I can't put myhead under water yet while swimming, and I am obviously afraid of swimming on deep waters without a floating device.
I do enjoy a lot riding my old bike, and do so an average of 7 to 8 miles per hour on flat terrain, and honestly that's thr fastest I can go now. I ride 20 miles.
I'm 5'4, 185 lbs, and very out of shape. I don't know how to do excercise and I'm just tryimg to follow trainings on youtube.
My goal is to become an endurance athlete and do Ironman. I have a long way, it will take me years, and pain. I'm willing to face it all.
I would like friends who can believe in me and not discourage me with their disbeliefs.
I am also very clueless about everything, I'm starting really from zero, so I hope you are patient with all the questions I will be probably be posting.
Nice to meet you all. Thank you for your support.

2018-09-24 3:30 PM
in reply to: Lizy

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: I'm Starting from zero, looking 4 help

Originally posted by Lizy

Hello. I'm lizy, 36 years old in California.

At the moment, I don't know how to run a mile, I tried, and it took me 16 minutes because I was out of breath after 30 seconds. I don't know how to swim very well, I basically float because I'm overweight, and move my hands and legs trying to copying what swimmers do, but I get tired easily, don't advanced much, I can't put myhead under water yet while swimming, and I am obviously afraid of swimming on deep waters without a floating device.

I do enjoy a lot riding my old bike, and do so an average of 7 to 8 miles per hour on flat terrain, and honestly that's thr fastest I can go now. I ride 20 miles.

I'm 5'4, 185 lbs, and very out of shape. I don't know how to do excercise and I'm just tryimg to follow trainings on youtube.

My goal is to become an endurance athlete and do Ironman. I have a long way, it will take me years, and pain. I'm willing to face it all. I would like friends who can believe in me and not discourage me with their disbeliefs.

I am also very clueless about everything, I'm starting really from zero, so I hope you are patient with all the questions I will be probably be posting.

Nice to meet you all. Thank you for your support.

Hi Lizy,

Congratulations on making a life altering decision!  Every single person on this website was at one time or another, exactly where you are - clueless about everything.  This is the place to ask questions in an environment where you won't be judged or ridiculed.

The first thing you should think about is building a base level of fitness.  To begin with, you might consider a "Couch-to-5k" program.  You can search that term on Google and you will likely find hundreds of free plans that will gradually introduce you to running in a way that will build your fitness without over-reaching your abilities.  At the same time, continue to ride your bike, adding just a little bit of distance to each ride.

As to swimming - the very best thing you can do is to find a qualified coach/instructor that can give you lessons.  Swimming is HIGHLY technical and learning proper technique from the outset will put you ahead of much of the competition.

Be patient!  It has taken 36-years to get your body to the shape it's in today.  It will take some time to make changes and build fitness/strength.  Enjoy the journey and HAVE FUN!

Welcome to the crazy world of triathlon!

2018-09-24 9:31 PM
in reply to: #5249664

Thank you very much!
2018-12-18 1:38 PM
in reply to: Lizy

You can do it, Lizy! "Every winner was once a beginner."

You've already taken the first step, so well done! As mentioned, there are "Couch to 5K" programs out there, and I highly recommend a swim coach, if that's an option for you. My own swimming is laughable, but after one lesson with a coach, I already feel more confident and capable.

I'm wowed that you've set a goal of an Ironman. (Aim high, right?) Sure, it may take a bit of time to get there, but once you get started you may well amaze yourself with your progress.
2018-12-18 6:59 PM
in reply to: #5249732

User image

Awesome! Welcome!
You have questions? Ask! Ask! Ask! A lot of friendly people have answers!

I'm fairly new to Triathlon too, but here's my advice to you as a beginner.

1. Work on building consistancy. You don't feel like going to the gym or dragging the bike out for a ride? Tell yourself your going to go for a 10 min walk. It's easier to convince yourself to go for a longer walk once your out the door, and much better than sitting on the couch.
Build consistancy with your nutrition too by logging everything you eat. I find just logging helps me make better choices.

2. Slow & steady will get you there. Your an endurance athlete now just like the races are long and slow, your training should be a long and slow buildup. Yes you should have workouts that push you, that make you sore, and tired, but nothing kills motivation like an injury.

3. Don't beat yourself up. Your going to miss that workout, your going to eat that extra slice of pizza. Your walking a long road, it's not about the stumble, it's about how you pick yourself back up. Don't put yourself down because you can only ride 7-8 mph. Take the win that you got off your but & went for a ride.

Finally because you said you are heavy & not athletic. (Not judging, I'm far from perfect) Careful with running, the fact is that your more at risk of joint injuries, and running can put a lot of stress on them. You will be able to build your aerobic fitness faster than your joints can adapt to the impact. Try a couch to 5k. If your joints hurt the next day think about focusing on swimming, biking, & nutrition, for a month or two; substitute brisk walks for running.
2019-01-04 2:45 PM
in reply to: #5252847

Firstly, you can do it. And secondly congratulations!!

I started when I was 35 , I was 180 and 5’5”.

I started with nutrition and some simple dvd excercises on you tube. Like fitness blender.

I limited sugars , drank lots of water, high fiber and no greasy food . I lost 20 pounds in a month.

Then I started with my running. Got injured . I overdid the running. Ramp up slowly please. And save yourself a lot of frustration.

Maybe find some meetup or group nearby to help motivate you .

Push yourself but don’t forget to love yourself. Overcoming these challenges can be very rewarding. Best of luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm Starting from zero, looking 4 help Rss Feed